Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2023, 07:20 PM

18,982 posts, read 9,136,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That's kind of not a bad idea, for Democrats to swoop in to the rescue. After letting the Republicans hang for long enough that everyone has the visual burned into their eyeballs.

Then, the democrats pick the republican they want, and pledge all 208 votes in his/her favor. If it were up to me, just to be difficult, I'd pick MTG or George Santos. Take it or leave it, here's who we're giving you. haha.
The only way this would work is if the it is a real Republican, not one from the Freedom Caucus or an election denier or a MAGA. I'd actually love to see it, because that would make the House a true coalition governing body, cutting out the far ends of the fringes on both sides. And the way things are going, this might not be out of the realm of possibility going forward. All they need are a few fed up Republicans.

Old 10-24-2023, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Great Analogy — It is a Soap Opera.
Brought to us by Steve Scalise and his supporters. Hurt feelings because he lost to McCarthy and then lost to Jim Jordan. More to it than just those “hurt feelings” of course, but that played a big part in all of this Soap Opera.
Scalise bowed out pretty quickly. Jordan was the one who insisted on multiple votes and refused to give up for days. There's your soap opera.

Old 10-24-2023, 07:26 PM

30,466 posts, read 12,054,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Scalise bowed out pretty quickly. Jordan was the one who insisted on multiple votes and refused to give up for days. There's your soap opera.
I think they have to give up on their stupid rule they came up with that one person can start the process on removing the speaker. That actually gives more power to the democrats as we have seen. And it probably makes finding a speaker more difficult.

Old 10-24-2023, 07:31 PM

20,032 posts, read 22,992,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
The GOP has been Democrat Light for many years now. Only the members of the conservative Freedom Caucus are trying to restore the GOP to limited government and fiscal responsibility.
No they’re not. A whole host of them voted for trillions in additional debt.

Old 10-24-2023, 07:36 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 26 days ago)

36,142 posts, read 18,424,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The only way this would work is if the it is a real Republican, not one from the Freedom Caucus or an election denier or a MAGA. I'd actually love to see it, because that would make the House a true coalition governing body, cutting out the far ends of the fringes on both sides. And the way things are going, this might not be out of the realm of possibility going forward. All they need are a few fed up Republicans.
Here's the thing. The democrats have absolutely no duty to rescue the republicans here. None.

Let the Republican party fall all over themselves, in full public view.

I have advocated before for a new party, of people in the center. Sane democrats, and sane republicans.

I'm not sure this is the time to forge that, but maybe. But to rescue them now, would kick the can down the road for their real internal reconning.

Old 10-24-2023, 07:44 PM

7,200 posts, read 4,800,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Name-calling political opponents is un-American, & wreaks of fear & vitriol. It is a tactic of the left that runs contrary to their coexist, peace, tolerence mantra, so I take it as being hateful, & ingenuine, but if the shoe fits...

RINO's like Emmer and Scott have us $33T in debt, and wasting $750B/yr on interest.

Gov't now spends >1/2 of all we make (GDP), so 1/2 the pizza pie is gone by the time the rest of us sit down to eat. Most want the whole pie.
Really? So what does your boy Trump do? Bestow terms of endearment on his opponents? Please. I knew Trump is un-American!

Where were you during Trumps presidency? He spent more money than a drunken sailor. The “Freedom Caucus” didn’t say a single word.

The Freedom caucus CANNOT govern. They do not know the meaning of the word. Jim Jordan is a member of the freedom caucus. He did not get elected, did he?

Old 10-24-2023, 07:46 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,702,432 times
Quote:
Here's the thing. The democrats have absolutely no duty to rescue the republicans here. None.

I have advocated before for a new party, of people in the center. Sane democrats, and sane republicans.

I'm not sure this is the time to forge that, but maybe. But to rescue them now, would kick the can down the road for their real internal reconning.
For some reason my comments on this were deleted but yep - picking the speaker of the house could be the dawn of a new era in American politics. Sane centrists from the Republican side could reach out to sane centrists from the Democratic side and together they could pick a speaker who agreed to pursue an agenda 70 to 80 percent Americans agree upon. Now is the perfect time for sanity and reason. Every time is the perfect time for those things now that I think of it.

Old 10-24-2023, 07:50 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,702,432 times
Quote:
That's kind of not a bad idea, for Democrats to swoop in to the rescue. After letting the Republicans hang for long enough that everyone has the visual burned into their eyeballs.

Then, the democrats pick the republican they want, and pledge all 208 votes in his/her favor. If it were up to me, just to be difficult, I'd pick MTG or George Santos. Take it or leave it, here's who we're giving you. haha.
If the Democrats are doing that, I vote for Boebert. She has even more air in her head than Trump, and that’s saying something.

Old 10-24-2023, 07:53 PM

Quote:

I don't disagree with the gist of what you're saying but it wouldn't be kicking the can down the road if they got a moderate Republican in there that the Democrats agreed to support, along with the sane Republicans who are left. The Democrats want a functioning House because there are things that will need to be passed, and soon. I admit it's a reach, but really, we live in interesting times. I think we've learned to never say never any more.

Old 10-24-2023, 08:06 PM

692 posts, read 519,453 times
I guess it's Mike Jonson's turn to be humiliated. who will be next?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies