Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 08:30 PM

17,448 posts, read 9,285,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Seems the media will now begin its character assassination of the speaker.

They really cant help themselves.
They will certainly try — interesting commentary on CNN.

Democrats are going to have a tough time painting Johnson into the "extremist" corner, a point made by CNN left-wing political analyst Gloria Borger in the lead-up to the vote:

"You know, I think he is a person who’s hard to demonize. You know, it's very easy to demonize somebody like a Jim Jordan, who’s a firebrand. He's out there, he's fighting. And then Donald Trump can demonize an Emmer because he didn't believe the election was rigged.

But you had this kind of, I don’t use the word 'milquetoast,' that's not quite the right word, he's a serious person, who is not prone to getting in big, huge fights with people. He is known as a listener, I was told. He is hugely conservative, but he doesn't wear it on his sleeve all the time. So he can get along with moderates and listen to them. And it will be interesting to see what happens with Ukraine aid, for example. But, you know, he’s not the devil incarnate."

None of the Leftists really thought Mike Johnson had a chance of winning a unanimous vote by the Republicans to become Speaker …. But that’s exactly what happened. It’s a done deal now.

He won’t have an easy time of it, but he was probably always the best choice.

Old 10-25-2023, 09:55 PM

6,115 posts, read 2,741,148 times
I don't see this guy lasting past the new year. If he tries to play ball at all with the Dems he will be vacated like Mccarthy he will need to walk a very tight rope to not pizz off the far right and not to pizz off the vulnerable "moderates" in swing districts that voted for him.

Old 10-25-2023, 10:07 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,575,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The only way this would work is if the it is a real Republican, not one from the Freedom Caucus or an election denier or a MAGA. I'd actually love to see it, because that would make the House a true coalition governing body, cutting out the far ends of the fringes on both sides. And the way things are going, this might not be out of the realm of possibility going forward. All they need are a few fed up Republicans.

Cutting spending shouldn't be considered extremist.

It should be looked upon as what needs to be done.

Old 10-25-2023, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Here's the thing. The democrats have absolutely no duty to rescue the republicans here. None.

Let the Republican party fall all over themselves, in full public view.

I have advocated before for a new party, of people in the center. Sane democrats, and sane republicans.

I'm not sure this is the time to forge that, but maybe. But to rescue them now, would kick the can down the road for their real internal reconning.

What constitutes a sane Republican in your view ?

One who will virtually bend over for progressives ?

Old 10-25-2023, 10:13 PM

32,108 posts, read 15,101,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The new, & more conservative, GOP has just begun. Get used to it..its our turn to run the show...Libs had the last 3 years.

Speaker Johnson is large & in charge. Libs are gonna hate his policies, which makes me like them even more.

Speaker Johnson's a huge supporter of the Biden impeachment panel, & their new amped up subpoena power. Now Comer can resume exposing the Biden family crime syndicate.

Ukraine's open checkbook just got taken away too. Time for Europe to take that mess over, & fund it all.

I can't wait until he starts defunding all things Biden, to force Biden to close the border. The power of the purse is now unleashed.

Conservatism rising
I don’t see conservatism rising at all. And these republicans who won districts Biden won will have to answer to their constituents. They are walking a fine line.

Old 10-25-2023, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No republican would vote for a democrat because of the backlash they would get. Trump called Emmer a rino so of course the ones who listen to Trump aren't going to vote for him. They really need to get a mind of their own and stop listening to Trump who is the real rino.

I agree with you (which doesn't happen very often except re pro-choice).

Old 10-25-2023, 10:45 PM

15,870 posts, read 6,573,652 times
I see the Republicans chose the blue pill.

Old 10-25-2023, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
From your mouth to God’s ears, but no …only us super freaks who pay close attention to politics are even going to remember this happened come next November.

Then my family is guilty (pretty much all of us), on both sides, and on 'both sides of the aisle', going back 150-160 years (through my generation (late baby boomers) and past us to Millennials, that I'm aware of...but I haven't dug more to see if it's actually longer than that) through the predecessors of the current party incarnations. County Board of Supervisors members, the mayor of a major U.S. city, a candidacy for the D.A. of a prominent county, the campaign manager of a high profile race, the president of the chamber of commerce in a major U.S. city, a considered run for Congress, attorney for a police union, Chief of a major California LEA, various liberal public defenders and conservative prosecutors, more police command staff, friendships with one POTUS, one SCOTUS Chief Justice, three California governors, various U.S. Cabinet Secretaries, etc.

Old 10-25-2023, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Not whining....just disgusted like our entire country is. We can't fund our country until this gets settled. This in fighting with republicans has to stop
People who don't care about out of control spending are at a level that would = disgust. Others....not so much.

(If 'the 8' actually do care about the outrageous spending, then I agree with them on that...but I'm not an R (nor a D), and I wouldn't vote for Trump (nor Biden) in a million years)

Old 10-25-2023, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwk1 View Post
It's apparent from your post your objective is of a political partisan nature, and not one of advancing the general welfare of the United States and her citizens.
There are millions of different definitions of 'advancing the general welfare of the United States and her citizens', and no one can prove that their definition is the one that should be followed.

And the Preamble to USCON reads "promote the general welfare".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies