Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2023, 11:31 AM

17,450 posts, read 14,686,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Go complain to the U.S. government that their drug trade is resulting in too many homicides.

Say goodbye to your loved ones prior to the meeting though.
Not the point.

People whip themselves up into a frenzy over these (while horrific and tragic) lone wolf shootings and the immediate reaction is to grab guns - and prosecute gun sellers.

And then people will post the statistical nonsense of "there have been over 500 mass shootings THIS YEAR!" while not realizing that very statistic is meant to panic people and drive them to have the mindset that the only way to stop it is more insane laws ... and grab guns.

They turn a blind eye that the biggest chunk of so these so-called "mass shootings" is gang/drug/crime street violence.

Old 10-26-2023, 11:33 AM

17,450 posts, read 14,686,180 times
On another note related to Maine, it's interesting that out of the 18 people killed, only one was a woman.

Old 10-26-2023, 11:37 AM

8,252 posts, read 3,507,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
Personally I think guns are inefficient.

I would appreciate some shoulder fired rocket launchers and hand grenades.

They got em in Gaza why cant we have them here?

Oh, you liberals are OK with them having them, just not here.
A lot of Americans are dumbed down from the public school system. They would need to have extensive training to use these properly.

Old 10-26-2023, 11:41 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,391,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Not the point.

People whip themselves up into a frenzy over these (while horrific and tragic) lone wolf shootings and the immediate reaction is to grab guns - and prosecute gun sellers.

And then people will post the statistical nonsense of "there have been over 500 mass shootings THIS YEAR!" while not realizing that very statistic is meant to panic people and drive them to have the mindset that the only way to stop it is more insane laws ... and grab guns.

They turn a blind eye that the biggest chunk of so these so-called "mass shootings" is gang/drug/crime street violence.
People of all political stripes have been conditioned to accept, almost practically embrace, the plight of America’s inner cities and the pervasive patterns of violence. Nixon was the first, that we know of, who federally initiated the drug trade in American cities. Both parties turn a blind eye to it but Democrats clearly benefit from it more on a practical level as they win urban districts at an exceedingly disproportionate rate. So when a mass shooting in a predominantly white area occurs (such as this one) Democrats can feel comfortable pushing gun control. It’s a cowardly and hypocritical paradigm they’ve been shoveling since LBJ.

Old 10-26-2023, 11:57 AM

8,252 posts, read 3,507,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
On another note related to Maine, it's interesting that out of the 18 people killed, only one was a woman.
How many people were killed? The news said 22 yesterday. It was 18?

Old 10-26-2023, 12:10 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,029,480 times
From a family of military men, the previous generation who fought in shooting wars from WWI thru Vietnam, a claim that combat vets will develop PTSD and not if.......seems like a very broad brush to me.

Old 10-26-2023, 12:17 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,094,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
How many people were killed? The news said 22 yesterday. It was 18?
Yeah, I've seen that too. Most major news outlets were saying 22 last night, now it's 18. That's awesome, four less killed.

But with all the mass shootings over the last decade, usually the death toll number goes up over the first 24 hours. Never seen it to down. Weird.

Old 10-26-2023, 12:24 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,607,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Yeah, I've seen that too. Most major news outlets were saying 22 last night, now it's 18. That's awesome, four less killed.

But with all the mass shootings over the last decade, usually the death toll number goes up over the first 24 hours. Never seen it to down. Weird.
with the number of injured, it could easily go back up, unfortunately.

Old 10-26-2023, 12:27 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,391,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post

Multiple agencies on scene crunching numbers without cross-referencing.

Old 10-26-2023, 12:32 PM

50,371 posts, read 47,120,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Well, I agree that more people, men in particular, should be more open to therapy and good mental health, but forcing them to undergo it will not work. Removing the stigma some associate with it would go a long way to better mental health.

I don't have any numbers, but it certainly seems like the good guy with a gun rarely comes into play in these shootings. I know it happens, but not as often as some want us to think.
Well, when there is a big no guns allowed sign on the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.