Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2023, 06:45 AM

4,656 posts, read 1,949,182 times

Advertisements

ah reminds me of the big news of such things in the 1960's , 1970s etc with the great Union raises. Ah and those were all so successful not like auto manufacturing went overseas and now we have rusted factories and decaying cities, nope that couldn't possibly happen again.

Old 11-01-2023, 06:48 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Glad that they're happy about paying more for a car.

And the service it will need.

And the parts.

And the insurance.

Not to mention higher interest rates.

But hey.... no more mean tweets, huh?
It will be a balancing act because so many cars are made in this country non-union and have a lower production cost but here's a thought, the company and its executives take a bit less. They have reported Billions in profits so they can report a little less it won't kill them and the Executives can take 1/2 million less in their salaries.

Mean tweets?? What would he have done undermine the union.....

Old 11-01-2023, 06:52 AM

1,692 posts, read 610,346 times
I say good for the workers. Many decades of the employees losing and now they get some of it back. Will it cause the same harm to the industry we saw in the 70’s and 80’s? Hard to tell. It’s a different world today. There is still cheaper labor elsewhere, but the playing field is slowly leveling except in China where the communist rule.

Two things I wish the Union wouldn’t do. One, defend the lazy and incompetent worker. Doing so hurts the other members who are doing a good job. Two, always support the democrat candidate even when said democrat supports things things that would harm the members. The Union should be politically blind and always looking out of the welfare of the members.

Otherwise, I say great job. Employees of other companies are already getting wage increases to compete with the union. This inspires me to think about my situation and do what I need to do to take that next step in my career.

Old 11-01-2023, 06:52 AM

10,831 posts, read 4,517,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Well, good for the UAW, they won the negotiations, and good for those workers.

Unfortunately, the results of this strike have ramifications, and it's already starting at the salaried and hourly workers that aren't union. Designers and engineers are getting laid off.
And there are tier's at that level as well, that aren't ended. Contract and direct. And I can guarantee that neither of these have zero out of pocket healthcare, are getting 25% to 33% raises, plus COLA, and job security guaranties.
The crazy thing, is the highest paid non skilled worker will be getting the same pay as what some designers and engineers are, along with all kinds of other perks. Unreal.

By the end of the contract, the top wage rate will reach $40.20 an hour without cost of living adjustments. With COLA, the top rate is expected to reach $42.60 by 2028.

For skilled trades workers, the top wage rate should reach $50.57 with COLA by the end of the contract.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...stellantis-gm/

I've always supported the unions, but I never thought I'd see the day that a non skilled line worker will be getting close to $100k, with the option of overtime, and with all those other perks, all while many of us in design/engineering are still getting paid '08 wages. And us contractors have to pay our own healthcare, have no paid time off, no job security (as the 50 that were laid off over the weekend found out), no COLA...etc. I think they also get a $5k signing bonus.

Oddly enough, there is nothing in the contract about furthering ones education. No incentive to move into the skilled trades, or get a degree, and move into management.

Well, I hope they enjoy it while it lasts.

all the UAW workers won was a higher pay rate as they close the US based factories.

10 years from now will you buy a GM or ford in the us that does not have 'hecho en mexico' on the bottom?

(that means 'made in mexico' for our lefties)

Old 11-01-2023, 07:02 AM

29,444 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginwaterland View Post
I say good for the workers. Many decades of the employees losing and now they get some of it back. Will it cause the same harm to the industry we saw in the 70’s and 80’s? Hard to tell. It’s a different world today. There is still cheaper labor elsewhere, but the playing field is slowly leveling except in China where the communist rule.

Two things I wish the Union wouldn’t do. One, defend the lazy and incompetent worker. Doing so hurts the other members who are doing a good job. Two, always support the democrat candidate even when said democrat supports things things that would harm the members. The Union should be politically blind and always looking out of the welfare of the members.

Otherwise, I say great job. Employees of other companies are already getting wage increases to compete with the union. This inspires me to think about my situation and do what I need to do to take that next step in my career.
Agreed. And if one has ever spent time in a plant, it's definitely eye opening between those that should be kicked out the door and those that put pride into their work.

And others are getting laid off, as a direct result...

Old 11-01-2023, 07:05 AM

29,444 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
all the UAW workers won was a higher pay rate as they close the US based factories.

10 years from now will you buy a GM or ford in the us that does not have 'hecho en mexico' on the bottom?

(that means 'made in mexico' for our lefties)
Yep...I think in 10 years the Detroit 3 are going to look quite a bit different than they do now. And I just want 12 more years in the industry then I'm out...it looks like I'll be out, quite a bit earlier than that and not by choice. With non skilled labor closing in on $100k plus, maybe it will trickle down to fast food workers. I'll flip burgers for $80k a year....

Old 11-01-2023, 07:10 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,984,397 times
Not really. The companies will just move all their operations off American soil in the next 4-5 years. Look at carrier

Old 11-01-2023, 07:14 AM

78,348 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
$50k gets a single person a one bedroom apartment in my city. In some cities you will need roommates at that income. You can't raise a family. If working class jobs dont pay enough to raise a family then where does the next generation of Americans come from? In order for our society to continue, jobs need to pay well enough for most people to afford kids.

This is the conundrum we cant seem to wrap our heads around because as a society we aren't good at thinking in longer time scales.
We have millions and millions of cheap laborers to do jobs for little, won't complain or unionize. Even if they don't do exactly your job, it creates wage pressure.

Now this discussion was had back in 2016 (and earlier) and the battle cry is that any such complaints...were just racist.

Old 11-01-2023, 07:53 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
There has to be some mechanism for workers to achieve higher wages, nothing else seems to work anymore outside of union activity.

In my field of healthcare, there is always a "shortage" yet it seems the only way to get an increase in pay is to jump from Job to Job. Nurses have become professionals at this and now the Docs are starting to do it as well since fewer have ownership or partnerships as in previous decades. I really don't know how the American worker achieves any increase in pay because merit, hard work, and increased revenues do not result in increasing pay for most workers anymore. And most do not work in healthcare where you can jump ship every 2-3 years for greener pastures.
Too many people awarded wage increases not directly due to productivity increases yields general price inflation.

It's just like the pay boost for food workers in CA leading to an instant suite of price increases.

More directly we now have a situation in-which Ford, Stellantis and GM in the US are grossly overcompensating workers relative to other makers in the US and overseas. Expect rounds of offshoring and marketshare losses.

The unions also won the right to install equality over merit pay/no wage tiering like teaching. Which will for sure erode not improve productivity.

This slow motion disaster that will hobble each mark for years.

Old 11-01-2023, 07:55 AM

6,543 posts, read 7,124,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post

Under their deal, Ford and Stellantis employees will see an immediate 11% increase in their pay. Hourly pay at Ford will jump from $32.05 to $42.60 for assembly-line workers and from $36.96 to $50.57 for skilled trades employees , according to the preliminary contract.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/uaw-agr...ntis-contract/
Whoa, unskilled human robots who do nothing that actually requires brain function/skill other then memory were only paid $4 less then people who actually have to use their brains?

This deal will fast track automation within big three. I’m guessing not knowing anything that Tesla is far more automated than the big three?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies