Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 09:39 AM

1,747 posts, read 879,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, so based upon no proof. Thanks.

Well if you had read the link in the first post, you would find your proof there. It's right in the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2023, 09:47 AM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
In CA? They would probably qualify for at least some types of public assistance due to the high cost of living, plus those jobs are usually part-time, and if business is slow, they probably send people home.

That reminds me of what I had read on the price of produce if agricultural workers were to be paid a living wage, as it amounted to maybe 5 cents on a head of lettuce. Most of the workers probably aren't getting benefits with the job either, thus we subsidize the employers in that way.
Did you really just let a poster do a cost impact analysis for McDonalds based upon a $2 purchase?

Old 11-01-2023, 09:50 AM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailjnh View Post
Well if you had read the link in the first post, you would find your proof there. It's right in the article.
Citing Dollars of revenue as proof of greed is like asking how many gallons are in a Kilometer.

But hey, I guess if my smaller company with less revenue pays workers even less I'm not being greedy because I have lower revenues?

Old 11-01-2023, 09:57 AM

43,093 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
McDonald's franchisees labor cost is about 20%. So on a two buck burger, it's 40 cents. If the wage went up from $15 to $20 that is 12 more cents. 12 cents per burger. Wanna bet McDonalds raises prices three times that and blames the workers?
It's closer to 30% and that's direct employee labor cost not including indirect employee hiring costs.

And you forgot increased commodity costs, increased shipping cost, etc.

This isn't a vacuum where ONLY the employee wage went up.

Old 11-01-2023, 10:04 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
No matter how much you try to reason with the "fast food workers deserve $40 an hour and if you disagree you're evil" crowd, they never seem to get it or care about the consequences of their wishes.

Utterly predictable end results of the never ending minimum wage hikes for service jobs.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...fptaskbar&ei=5

The only reason anyone goes to McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's etc in the first place is because it's a lot cheaper than the likes of Five Guys, Shake Shack or In and Out Burger etc etc, and the same applies to Chipotle and real authentic Mexican outlets.

If these cheap fast food chains continually increase their overheads then they will increasingly have to compete with establishments that offer a better product and experience.

The alternative is ever increasing automation and AI replacing these types of employees and leading to less employment and possible more poverty in relation to those already at the bottom of the employment chain, and who are often trying to fund their way through college or do not have enough qualifications or skills to secure better employment.

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-01-2023 at 10:17 AM..

Old 11-01-2023, 01:32 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Paying someone higher unearned wages still isn't going to guarantee the bolded.
That's a given. But compare Sam's Club employees to Costco's for instance and see if wages correlate to brainpower. To my eyes, it's obvious. My key wouldn't fit in the ignition of my car for $200 a day to flip burgers. If you increase a person's income, you get a better employee. That assumes their buying power increased as well (and inflation didn't gobble up the wage increase). So as I stated, I like going to places where someone has a brain. And I am willing to pay for it. I'll let others patronize McDonalds.

Old 11-01-2023, 01:33 PM

6,552 posts, read 7,133,096 times
All the Taco Bell’s here have the screens you order on them and wait for your name to be called. It’s great in comparison.

Old 11-01-2023, 01:37 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
Rent in Santa Monica has become stable at what...$4,000/month for a 1 bedroom?

Thank Goodness for that!

Edit, just looked it up, it's $3,250/month for a 1 bedroom, a 9% increase YoY. A 1-bedroom!!

Need a 3 bedroom for the family? Well that's $6,500/month in Santa Monica. Up 9% YoY.
[url]https://www.zumper.com/rent-research/santa-monica-ca[/url
]
And..... You really don't want "an average place". Add $1K to get something in a decent neighborhood. Our son and his wife are Doc's in the Bay Area. That rent is closer to $7500-$8000 to get a nicer spot. But they are making around about $300 an hour each. That is a crazy amount of $$'s for rent! But it is still cheaper than buying.

Old 11-01-2023, 01:45 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,858,077 times
McDonald's -- and to a lesser extent, Chipotle -- are about to learn a valuable lesson about the price elasticity of demand.

The reality is that the vast majority of McDonald's menu is garbage, and people are only willing to pay so much for that garbage. Once demand falls off, revenue follows suit. The only problem is that at that point, your only variable cost is labor.

I would not feel good if I held McDonald's stock, which fortunately, I do not.

Old 11-01-2023, 02:11 PM

52,257 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Fast food in general here is really expensive, I mean flabbergasting so. Some of it the higher and higher min wage they push here and some of it is inflation.

You go to places like Carl's Jr and grab a burger combo and you are out 10 bucks. It seems like just a few short years ago it was noticeable cheaper.

In a very short time frame we see more and more automation, they are already putting in self-serve kiosks, won't be long before that's all they have, you'll have as little workers in the back and as little as they can in terms of actually handing you your order. The whole damn thing might get automated at some point.

The whole thing feels so dystopian to me, like you are rats, put in an order on a screen and a tray of food comes out of a conveyor belt delivery system of sorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies