Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2023, 09:26 AM

43,055 posts, read 18,223,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
First step is secure our nation’s borders. Second step is deport those who entered illegally and have t begun the process of become legal residents/citizens. Third is deport those recent immigrants who’ve committed felonies.

Doing all the above will reduce the population and thus reduce demand for property. Lowering demand would create a need to lower prices of properties would remain vacant and money would be lost.

At one time there were subdivisions build for low cost home ownership of upper lower income to lower middle income families. These homes were not much bigger in square footage of a single wide mobile home but were built on a concrete foundation and with brick exterior on a small piece of land the person would own. Today’s affordable homes are single wide mobile homes which, for a brand new model, is about the price of a full size truck today depending on size and options. Problem is that doesn’t include land to buy or rent (lot rent) nor the cost of moving the home to its destination and licensed professionals to make plumbing, electrical, and AC connections. Some dealers have a land and home package.

Really ? Deporting poor people that have no money and are relying on welfare will bring down demand for property ?

Somehow that math doesn't add up.

It's rich people buying "investments" ...want to deport them ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2023, 09:50 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
His/hers is a flawed argument claiming that if someone uses any kind of government assistance, then that should somehow mean they do not contribute in any way, shape of form, and to make it an even worse argument is the conclusion that immigrants in general do not contribute.
There is no flaw in the argument that 2/3 of non-citizen/immigrant households are on public assistance while only 1/3 of native-born US citizen households are. That's the actual data.

That's what happens when the world's poor are allowed unchecked immigration into the US, and it's NOT financially sustainable. Only about half of all US 1040 filers pay any Federal Income Tax at all to begin with, now add on top of that 2/3 of immigrant households are earning too little to pay Federal Income Tax PLUS getting public assistance program benefits on top of that. Like I said, that's NOT financially sustainable. It will implode the US's social safety net programs.

Old 11-30-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Really ? Deporting poor people that have no money and are relying on welfare will bring down demand for property ?
If they're illegal aliens, yes. The biggest shortage is in affordable housing. Reducing the demand for affordable housing will reduce the pressure on prices.

Old 11-30-2023, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If they're illegal aliens, yes. The biggest shortage is in affordable housing. Reducing the demand for affordable housing will reduce the pressure on prices.
NYC and other big cities had high rents before the illegals

There's more to it than illegals.

Old 11-30-2023, 10:04 AM

Quote:
NYC and other big cities had high rents before the illegals

There's more to it than illegals.
Yes, but it's getting even worse.

It's pretty simple to understand...

X number of Y is available. But X+Z number of people need/want Y. So the price of Y increases.

When demand exceeds supply, prices increase. When supply exceeds demand, prices decrease.

To put that in basic terms... That's why retailers sell overstocked items at a reduced price.

Old 11-30-2023, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, but it's getting even worse.

It's pretty simple to understand...

X number of Y is available. But X+Z number of people need/want Y. So the price of Y increases.

When demand exceeds supply, prices increase. When supply exceeds demand, prices decrease.

To put that in basic terms... That's why retailers sell overstocked items at a reduced price.
But NYC has always had high rents. I grew up there and it took 4 girls to rent a crappy 3 bedroom in far flung Queens near LI. 1 hour+ subway rides to work and subway tokens were increasing like every 6 months. We were living paycheck to paycheck and then even had to borrow from each other til payday.

And this was back in the late 70's.

Now my cousin lucked out...she's in a rent controlled apt paying $95/month.
Grandparents there first. My Aunt moved in when grandparents got too old to be independent and then my cousin moved in when my Aunt needed help. So she basically inherited the rent my grandparents used to pay. That is a 3 bedroom, 1 bath with a huge eat in kitchen.

Old 11-30-2023, 10:36 AM

50,716 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
As far as I am aware every city has a school district, K-12 is in place. https://millinocket.org/community/school-system/

Millinocket Regional Hospital https://www.mrhme.org/

The city does plow all streets within city limits, and all paved roads outside of town are plowed by the county.

I get it, many people see, to be afraid of moving. In my career, I was expected to relocate every 3 to 5 years. Which had a huge effect on my ability to purchase an apartment building at each location. But we got into the habit of moving frequently. We are not as intimidated by the idea as others might be.
Well, there are reasons not to, as well. Many people don't want to move far from elderly parents, or their mother or sister who babysits the kids while they're at work. And not everyone is cut out for Maine winters.

Old 11-30-2023, 10:39 AM

50,716 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
If you want to spend half a million on a house, you can.

You can also choose to spend less than $100k on a house.

The choice is yours.
I don't know about the other houses on the list, but the $39,000 one sounds like it needs at least $100,000 worth of work. It has mold which is very expensive to repair.

Old 11-30-2023, 10:42 AM

Quote:
But NYC has always had high rents. I grew up there and it took 4 girls to rent a crappy 3 bedroom in far flung Queens near LI. 1 hour+ subway rides to work and subway tokens were increasing like every 6 months. We were living paycheck to paycheck and then even had to borrow from each other til payday.

And this was back in the late 70's.

Now my cousin lucked out...she's in a rent controlled apt paying $95/month.
Grandparents there first. My Aunt moved in when grandparents got too old to be independent and then my cousin moved in when my Aunt needed help. So she basically inherited the rent my grandparents used to pay. That is a 3 bedroom, 1 bath with a huge eat in kitchen.
I know NYC has always had high rents. So have other areas. What's happening now (and leading up to now) is the additional excessive demand for affordable housing (if you can even call it that in the high CoL areas) due to the 7 million no/low-income illegal aliens Biden dumped into the US. They have to live somewhere, and are exponentially increasing the demand for affordable housing, thereby keeping prices high.

It's a supply and demand thing.

Much like when there was a chip shortage (and therefore a new AND used car shortage) and car dealers were charging thousands of dollars ABOVE sticker price to buy a car.

Old 11-30-2023, 10:46 AM

Quote:
If you want to spend half a million on a house, you can.

You can also choose to spend less than $100k on a house.

The choice is yours.
People want to live close to conveniences. So they will have to pay for it.
Others don't care as much.

I was one that didn't care so much to be so close to conveniences.
In Texas...45 minutes from College Station...

45 acres, with 2 barns, 2 tanks, squeeze shoot and pen, and a spacious 3/2 all for $145K.
And with septic/well my only expenses were electric/trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies