Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2023, 06:56 AM

5,983 posts, read 2,236,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I get electronic stuff from the government so any physical stuff gets thrown out.
We do electronic bday cards now...Jackie Lawson is a great site for that.

Got to advance with society.

Refund checks ? LOL..haven't seen one of them in decades.
I buy with a CC so any refund is digitally credited back to my card.
The only way to move forward with electronic-only communication would be to guarantee everyone high-speed internet access and a device to access it with. That was the entire idea behind the need for the Post Office and making it part of the constitution, to ensure ALL citizens (regardless of income levels) had access and Could actually use a nationwide communication system.

This may also require a "Federal" email service since there is no guarantee Gmail or other private services would remain free to everyone over their lifetime or would not charge for storage space. So even with electronic-only communication, Congress may move to create a new Government agency or transform the USPS into the agency that would manage this.

And even if all that happened and physical mail disappeared and everyone had an email box they could access and the connection to get to it, the next thing we will be arguing is "The Government is scanning all my mail" conspiracies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2023, 06:59 AM

15,438 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
I get electronic stuff from the government so any physical stuff gets thrown out.
We do electronic bday cards now...Jackie Lawson is a great site for that.

Got to advance with society.

Refund checks ? LOL..haven't seen one of them in decades.
I buy with a CC so any refund is digitally credited back to my card.
The IRS doesn't send electronic communications. Medicare sends mail with your ID card when you sign up.

We get refund checks from the doc in the box places when insurance covers the copays. Our home and auto insurance company sends checks when there's a dividend(it's a mutual company)

What do you do about registered mail? Just toss it?

Old 11-16-2023, 07:02 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Oh man, this is really bad news.

I can't say that I am shocked at all, though. Oftentimes, employees of the post office are aloof, sort of half with it, and not very customer-focused.

Now, I've had some wonderful interactions with postal employees, and most of them are incredibly helpful.

But many have very little to do on a lot of their days, and take advantage of that fact to do as little as they can. Many government employees tend to embrace this attitude, unfortunately.

My sister works in the Veteran's Administration, and she is surrounded by "zombie government workers," as she likes to put it.

And today's competition does not forgive an organization for being loaded with so many employees that have little ambition and drive.

Amazon, FedEx, UPS and many other fast-delivery services with amazing customer service will only continue to see it get tougher for USPS.

Old 11-16-2023, 07:04 AM

43,105 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
The only way to move forward with electronic-only communication would be to guarantee everyone high-speed internet access and a device to access it with. That was the entire idea behind the need for the Post Office and making it part of the constitution, to ensure ALL citizens (regardless of income levels) had access and Could actually use a nationwide communication system.

This may also require a "Federal" email service since there is no guarantee Gmail or other private services would remain free to everyone over their lifetime or would not charge for storage space. So even with electronic-only communication, Congress may move to create a new Government agency or transform the USPS into the agency that would manage this.

And even if all that happened and physical mail disappeared and everyone had an email box they could access and the connection to get to it, the next thing we will be arguing is "The Government is scanning all my mail" conspiracies.
Physics mail wouldn't disappear. Let private companies take it over. Open up competition.

Government monopolies never perform well. They don't have to.

Old 11-16-2023, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The IRS doesn't send electronic communications. Medicare sends mail with your ID card when you sign up.

We get refund checks from the doc in the box places when insurance covers the copays. Our home and auto insurance company sends checks when there's a dividend(it's a mutual company)

What do you do about registered mail? Just toss it?
Bah...I never got my card. I went online and printed it out.
I have an IRS account. I log in and can see everything.

I get very little physical mail from USPS. The majority that fills up my box is junk mail.

Eventually everything will be online and those that refuse to move forward will be left behind.

Old 11-16-2023, 07:11 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
I've never had a check stolen through the mail or had a check arrive late, but the reason the banks want everyone to use cards is because they get a portion of the merchants fee charged to the vendor and consumer if you use the bank's debit or credit card. They don't get anything when you pay with a check. Their excuse is security, but their reason is money.

There is a reason just about every business letter the USPS delivers has a message encouraging the receiver to switch to online only. Besides the fees a bank can charge the business would only have to maintain a website, not buy paper, ink and postage too. On the other hand mail theft is a real thing and expanding. That thieves are risking Club Fed to get what's in the mail stream should be proof that the postal service carries something of value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Delivery should be every other day. Half the people get their mail M, W, F. The other half get their mail Tue, Thu, Sat. Lay off half the carriers.
I made that predication 20 years ago when we were told the newspaper like market advertising was going to save the postal service. Since then it has changed to parcel delivery will save the postal service. And unless the packages received can be restricted in number or delivery delayed for budgetary reasons to that every other day schedule that corps of carriers would remain. Because political those parcels will be seen as the dead baby chicks and delayed medications for our veterans that came with the COVID staff shortages and those 2020 delays. And what to do while the carriers wait for the days the parcels come in? Why they deliver junk mail of course.

Old 11-16-2023, 07:17 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Biden gave USPS $50 billion over 10 years back in 2022 so that's $5 billion a year in bailout money.

Without that $5 billion a year bailout, USPS really lost $11.5 billion.
Is funding the military bail out?

Old 11-16-2023, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Is funding the military bail out?
why not stay on topic ? Deflection gets you nowhere.

And to answer your question...No because the military does not generate revenue for the government.

Old 11-16-2023, 07:21 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Who says the USPS has to turn a profit? Most of government is basically a parasitic burden on the system. I doubt any agency turns a profit. They're not going to dissolve the postal service.

Old 11-16-2023, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Who says the USPS has to turn a profit? Most of government is basically a parasitic burden on the system. I doubt any agency turns a profit. They're not going to dissolve the postal service.
Of course not. They will get bailed out each and every year.
It's the government with 700,000 USPS employees who are in unions.

FWIW USPS is supposed to be "self sufficient".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies