Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2023, 11:58 AM

16,114 posts, read 10,779,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Telling people to get of the Internet implies that there is something better for them in the "real world." I can assure you that there is not.
Suit yourself. Just remember, you made your bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2023, 12:02 PM

8,709 posts, read 3,890,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Hate speech is anything you people don't like.
Hate speech is being divisive/hostile i.e. ‘you people’.

Old 12-07-2023, 12:42 PM

5,298 posts, read 5,251,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
The digital "distractions" are the reason. If we didn't have the internet, more people would leave their houses for entertainment. Television existed without the world feeling "boring" (And I agree with you on that. The world does feel boring.), so it can't be that. The rise of the internet and the smartphone over the last twenty years is the difference. We're losing touch with the physical world. Older people may not understand it, because you didn't grow up with all this technology. But, for all of us young people who were born into it, it feels as though something is missing. Friends of mine are getting into vinyl records and checking out books from the library because their mostly-digital life was not mentally healthy and they're trying to reconnect with the physical world.

Also, secularism.

And, is anyone else dealing with the shocking lack of Christmas music being played on the radio? They used to play Christmas music immediately after Thanksgiving, 24/7. This is the second year in a row they haven't done that!
2 radio stations here in Cleveland, OH are playing Christmas music...

Unplugging from social media is a good thing...it's one reason I take breaks from some of these forums I post in at times...reading books is a good thing...and for those that say there is nothing to do, are they living in the boring suburbs/exurbs or in rural areas? Because in my inner ring suburb of Cleveland, OH (Shaker Heights), I've not run out of things to do...there are new breweries that have opened, new restaurants to try, we have plenty of nice parks in the area to get out in nature and hike, while I don't have a lot of friends myself, I've got 2 small groups of friends who share similar interests (admittedly as a middle age single man, that's not easiest thing to find now days...but there are groups I've found through online searches and what not...Cleveland Out and About being one...)...there concerts going on all the time (seeing Mannheim Steamroller and Trans Siberian Orchestra over the next couple weeks)...the Sat after Thanksgiving was the Holiday Lighting celebration in Downtown Cleveland...that was a very festive evening...I've been to Cavs games, Browns games, Ohio State football games...

So I don't understand this idea that people can be bored...there is plenty to do unless you live in rural small towns. Again, I don't live in the most vibrant metropolis in the country but boredom is not something I live with.

Regarding lights, I'm seeing the same number of houses lit up this year that I've seen in the past 6-7 years I've been back here....there aren't a lot in my area but that's because we do have a large Jewish Community in our area.

Old 12-07-2023, 12:51 PM

6,701 posts, read 2,996,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
So I don't understand this idea that people can be bored...there is plenty to do unless you live in rural small towns. Again, I don't live in the most vibrant metropolis in the country but boredom is not something I live with.
Sometimes I see really old people and just have nothing to do. I feel bad for them. If they are lucky they have constant family around or grandkids.

And I know not everyone is the same but if it were me, I don't think I would ever be bored. I just have so much I want to do and see and learn. Between work and family, I have to scrape some me time even now just to play games, watch movies, or do creative stuff like programming or art. I can't see myself running out of things I'd want to fill my time with. Ya gotta have a little bit of pro-activeness.

those old people I see, I think they just never had the drive or interest and then end up bored.

Old 12-07-2023, 01:07 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,607,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Hate speech is being divisive/hostile i.e. ‘you people’.
please tell me this is sarcasm.

Old 12-07-2023, 02:58 PM

5,298 posts, read 5,251,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
I hardly see any kids out trick or treating for Halloween either. I remember 20 years ago, neighborhoods were crawling with kids out trick or treating. Now, there are almost none. Another symptom if the complete lack of societal trust and cohesion. I asked my coworker this recent Halloween if he was going to be taking his kids out trick or treating. He said "nah, too many weirdos."
I had nearly 100 kids come through for Halloween and we had an inch of snow fall that night...but my middle class neighborhood is full of kids. Plenty of parents were out too so everyone was being safe and enjoying the evening.

Old 12-07-2023, 03:04 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,834,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
What about people that are literally starving to death? Should they just grin and bear it? But, yeah, starvation is just a matter of mind over body, right?
Do you personally know anyone who's starving to death? Probably not. Most starvation is used as a political weapon. Let them eat cake. People usually get mad and revolt. Mad people are never sad.

Is famine something new to humanity?

Old 12-07-2023, 03:21 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,302,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
According to the hate NOISE that you listen to / follow. Garbage in, garbage out.

That guy from German and his cronies last century were great too at pushing lies to where they became accepted as "truth" as well.
No genius... this is on video - a website called "youtube" which is owned by Google - not exactly a right wing source.... This is illegal aliens marching to our border. This is not lies. American citizens cost of living is going up, and disposable income is going down, all so the globalists can try to destroy our capitalist system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZguLmTa6hVM

Here's more:
https://twitter.com/TheInsiderPaper/...06360260354176

Last edited by BeerGeek40; 12-07-2023 at 03:38 PM..

Old 12-07-2023, 03:34 PM

19,830 posts, read 9,398,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Do you personally know anyone who's starving to death? Probably not. Most starvation is used as a political weapon. Let them eat cake. People usually get mad and revolt. Mad people are never sad.

Is famine something new to humanity?
Just because I don't see it, doesn't mean that it isn't happening somewhere. And, just FYI, that was just an example, albeit an exaggerated one. The point is that it is not always possible to just look on the bright side, depending on one's particular circumstances. Sometimes there is a REASON for people to be depressed.

Last edited by katharsis; 12-07-2023 at 04:13 PM..

Old 12-07-2023, 03:46 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,607,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
No genius... this is on video - a website called "youtube" which is owned by Google - not exactly a right wing source.... This is illegal aliens marching to our border. This is not lies. American citizens cost of living is going up, and disposable income is going down, all so the globalists can try to destroy our capitalist system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZguLmTa6hVM

Here's more:
https://twitter.com/TheInsiderPaper/...06360260354176
facts are 'hate noise' to that poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies