Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2023, 12:13 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Oh definitely. Do people think the keys are rural ?
Yes, although its hard to say since the whole area is like no other in US.

Quote:
I also lived in Florida. From Miami Beach up to Pompano Beach.
Having come from NYC, Florida cities always felt more suburban with the exception of Miami proper.
Yes. Again it comes down to what qualifies as rural, urban, suburban means. We have 12 lane highways here and Ft Lauderdale is called a city, and the rest of Broward is suburban, which to me is urban. We sure have the crime and traffic of an urban area.

Quote:
I'm now in North Myrtle Beach (16K out of season). It's a bigger town than what I'm used to but convenience is all around now.
That would be om with me. Good golfing.

Quote:
Now my son is millennial and he's having a hard time adjusting to inflation (Austin Tx).
He's never had to live through it though. It's a learning experience.
Yes, but everyone goes through it several times in a lifetime. Even the 90s ended in a NASDAQ collapse and lot of people lost lot of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2023, 12:14 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Ah, so your point is Border patrol is doing a good job!

10 million people have attempted to cross the border since 2020 and 8.4 million of them were caught and another 0.6 million wern't allowed it. A 90% success rate.
They deserve more credit than people insisting they just let everyone in.

Old 12-08-2023, 12:22 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,607,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Ah, so your point is Border patrol is doing a good job!

10 million people have attempted to cross the border since 2020 and 8.4 million of them were caught and another 0.6 million wern't allowed it. A 90% success rate.

So, you admit that there are just 1 million additional immigrants in the US now vs. in 2020.
lol. no. just no.

Quote:
Between January 20, 2021, and March 31, 2023, there were over 5 million illegal alien encounters. Of these encounters, at least 2,464,424 had no confirmed departure from the United States.

During the same period, DHS released at least 2,148,738 illegal aliens into the United States.

Only 5,993 illegal aliens encountered at the southwest border and placed in removal proceedings before an immigration judge were actually removed from the United States during this time.

A mere six percent of illegal aliens released into the United States were even screened for fear of persecution for purposes of asylum.

As of March 2023, DHS had removed only 874 of the illegal aliens found to have a credible fear of persecution and whose claims were adjudicated on the merits and denied by an immigration judge.

An additional 205,473 aliens were released into the country through illegal categorical parole programs.

Read the full report here.

Old 12-08-2023, 12:50 PM

7,148 posts, read 12,686,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Perhaps I’m wrong, but I think the thread is speaking to a shift in the country, as a whole, as opposed to (your) individual sadness/depression.
The items I cited are rather spread throughout our country right now. I don't think they are completely personal to me. Any or all might be contributing to our angst right now.

Old 12-08-2023, 01:08 PM

8,709 posts, read 3,890,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I feel sad.

--The news makes me sad.
--The divide and anger among us in our nation makes me sad.
--Climate change makes me sad.
--The wars ongoing make me sad.
--Feeling powerless to effect positive change makes me sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
The items I cited are rather spread throughout our country right now. I don't think they are completely personal to me. Any or all might be contributing to our angst right now.
Right, but you were speaking to your personal feelings of sadness (which should be temporary); ongoing feelings as you describe (about many things) are more indicative of one’s psychological health i.e. depression, anxiety or whatever.

In other words, I didn’t take the OP’s thread re: ‘a wave of sadness’ (or a general shift politically) to mean we’re literally all sad. :-)

Old 12-08-2023, 01:08 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,995,137 times
Mental illness more like. I'm convinced those vaccines F'd with people's brains. Or there are just too many idiots breeding that shouldn't be

Old 12-08-2023, 02:04 PM

579 posts, read 434,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Right, but you were speaking to your personal feelings of sadness (which should be temporary); ongoing feelings as you describe (about many things) are more indicative of one’s psychological health i.e. depression, anxiety or whatever.

In other words, I didn’t take the OP’s thread re: ‘a wave of sadness’ (or a general shift politically) to mean we’re literally all sad. :-)

Some of the original poster's points:

"...rather an emotional one [depression]"
Everywhere feels dead.
Holiday spirit has gone away.
Finding partners/friends is difficult.
Mental health is "abysmal".

They were projecting this onto the population at large, though that's been debated here.

Sounds like they meant literal sadness - or a shift in mood - on a mass scale. How is that a political shift? I think there has been a political shift, but that's a separate issue.

Old 12-08-2023, 02:40 PM

19,830 posts, read 9,398,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatteredthunder View Post

Everywhere feels dead.

They were projecting this onto the population at large, though that's been debated here.

Sounds like they meant literal sadness - or a shift in mood - on a mass scale. How is that a political shift? I think there has been a political shift, but that's a separate issue.
I am not sure that this IS a separate issue. I have been thinking about the various points of view expressed on this thread, and I think it is all blended together. I was thinking about the books and movies that have explored The Great Depression of the 1930's, and even though that did not directly affect everyone (in that not everyone was poor and the unemployment rates was 24.9%* (which means, I think, that 75% still had jobs), the fact that so many people were suffering probably did have a general depressing effect on the entire nation. If a large portion of the population are "down" due to financial reasons or a general unhappiness with the way the U.S. is "going" socially and/or politically, or they are feeling a loss of family or culture or a sense of community -- whatever -- I think this is going to translate into a sense of a general depression.

Whether anyone has a "right" to be depressed for what some see as very shallow or "first world" problems -- well, I think that is a matter of opinion.

*https://www.fdrlibrary.org/great-dep...s%20unemployed.

Old 12-08-2023, 02:48 PM

19,830 posts, read 9,398,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatteredthunder View Post

Everywhere feels dead.

I am not sure that this IS a separate issue. I have been thinking about the various points of view expressed on this thread, and I think it is all blended together. I was thinking about The Great Depression of the 1930's, and even though that did not directly affect everyone, as the unemployment rates was 24.9%* (which means, I think, that 75% still had jobs) and not everyone was poor, the fact that so many people were suffering probably did have a general depressing effect on the entire nation, according to many books and movies that explore/portray that period, and personal stories from people who lived through it, and the photographs from that time which show it, mostly seem to show a very "gray" time. That being said, however, I don't think what we are experiencing now is nearly as bad as it was in the early-to-mid 30's.

And so now returning to the subject as it concerns the U.S. today,I think that if a large portion of the population are "down" due to financial reasons or a general unhappiness with the way the U.S. is "going" socially and/or politically, or they are feeling a loss of family or culture or a sense of community -- whatever -- I think this is going to translate into a sense of a general depression in the nation. And as to the debate as to whether anyone in the U.S. today has a "right" to be depressed for what some see as very shallow or "first world" problems -- well, I think that is a matter of opinion, although my opinion is that people do have right to their feelings and emotions, whether other people think those emotions are justified or not. (Of course, using those feelings as an excuse to actually harm anyone else is definitely NOT okay, imo.)

*https://www.fdrlibrary.org/great-dep...s%20unemployed.

Last edited by katharsis; 12-08-2023 at 03:22 PM..

Old 12-08-2023, 03:01 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,400,905 times
I think angst is a better word than sadness for our present state of affairs.

angst | äNG(k)st |
noun
a feeling of deep anxiety or dread, typically an unfocused one about the human condition or the state of the world in general.

For sure, there's plenty of reasons we have for feeling angst.
There are 2 bad wars going on in the world right now, with both very threatening to the world's stability.

The COVID pandemic has not ended.

2023 was the hottest year ever recorded, beating 2022 and 2021.

110º and above for 54 days in a row in Arizona.

The American west went from chronic drought to chronic flooding in 9 month's time.

People are fleeing across every border in every continent, and are crawling up the beaches of every coast on the planet.

The oceans are full of micro-plastics that are killing fish and other sea life.

Lots of valid reasons to dispair, and most are beyond the powers of politics to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies