Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 06:54 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,517,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Maybe---I think if you look at some of the posts, you will see a couple of recurring themes: (1) this policy represents discrimination against "thin" people and there should be laws to provide protection against this discrimination; and (2) there is some pretty serious fat-shaming going on---with some posters taking the opportunity to callout how repulsive and repressible it is that these individuals let themselves get this way and into this situation where they need multiple seats.
I see it as giving a preference to obese people. Anytime you arbitrarily give some group preference over another, it will create animosity. There is the famous psychological experiment where school children are divided by some arbitrary characteristic, and then the teacher gives just one of the group preferential treatment.

This is compounded by the fact that most people consider obesity a sort of failure of character. Like walking around disheveled, stinky, or unkempt. Something that the individual can fix if they chose to do so.

But let's face it, no one likes flying couch. Everyone is miserable. So you signal out fat people and say hey, you can get 2 seats for free, that will anger none fat people. Same thing if SouthWest said, all White people can get 2 seats (though that would technically be illegal).

SouthWest can certainly do what they want. I won't stop them. But why cannot we complain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2023, 07:28 PM

146 posts, read 87,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
This is compounded by the fact that most people consider obesity a sort of failure of character. Like walking around disheveled, stinky, or unkempt. Something that the individual can fix if they chose to do so.
Regarding "stinky," there are some medical causes for that including one that's rare and very difficult to treat. Look up TMAU. Those people basically spend their lives putting up with a-holes everywhere they go because they can't stop stinking.

Old 12-14-2023, 07:50 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,873,384 times
There's been a push from the left -- where accountability is rarely displayed -- to normalize obesity.

Remember the Dove soap ads, with all of their XXXXL models?

Remember the Victoria Secret "experiment", with all of their plus-size models?

Obesity is a public health crisis. Nothing good can come from carrying 50-100+ pounds over your target weight. Your knees, feet, and hips can only take so much, regardless of whether you are male or female. Your health outcomes after decades of being obese will be severe. It's not a lifestyle that should be promoted.

But normalizing it certainly is wrong, just like normalizing crack cocaine use (looking at you, Hunter) or alcoholism (looking at you, Ms. former Speaker) is wrong as well.

And for the record, I do discuss these issues with either overweight friends or overweight relatives (there are a few).

Obesity also contributes to the spiraling cost of healthcare. Healthcare is not immune to supply and demand (surprise, surprise), and obese people will have a lot of demand for health care services.

Old 12-14-2023, 08:09 PM

14,553 posts, read 12,197,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
There's been a push from the left -- where accountability is rarely displayed -- to normalize obesity.

Remember the Dove soap ads, with all of their XXXXL models?

Remember the Victoria Secret "experiment", with all of their plus-size models?

Obesity is a public health crisis. Nothing good can come from carrying 50-100+ pounds over your target weight. Your knees, feet, and hips can only take so much, regardless of whether you are male or female. Your health outcomes after decades of being obese will be severe. It's not a lifestyle that should be promoted.

But normalizing it certainly is wrong, just like normalizing crack cocaine use (looking at you, Hunter) or alcoholism (looking at you, Ms. former Speaker) is wrong as well.

And for the record, I do discuss these issues with either overweight friends or overweight relatives (there are a few).

Obesity also contributes to the spiraling cost of healthcare. Healthcare is not immune to supply and demand (surprise, surprise), and obese people will have a lot of demand for health care services.

There is a difference between normalizing and making accommodations for the comfort of everyone on a flight. It's not your business how much someone else's knees and back hurts on a plane. It's better for everyone if you aren't smashed together, eh? It's not your business how much they paid for their ticket. FWIW, most people on the plane paid different amounts depending on when and how they purchased. If you want to get mad about plane fare fairness, crack down on that. Pricing usually seems completely arbitrary.

There is a difference between being right about healthy habits and just being cruel. Most of the comments in the OP and many in the thread are just plain cruel. Not being better people, just being mean.

We all have our crosses to bear. Some are obvious, some are not. I can't stand people who are mean. Sometimes that's one of the hidden ones.

Old 12-14-2023, 10:56 PM

5,865 posts, read 3,308,304 times
Let's be honest. Look at all the fat slobs in our society. They do it to themselves. Now they need special accommodations. Just like the wheelchair bound that get special privileges getting on the plane first and then you watch them walking off the plane. It's a joke.

Old 12-15-2023, 12:42 AM

41,997 posts, read 75,311,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Must everything be politicized? Get a grip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Let's be honest. Look at all the fat slobs in our society. They do it to themselves. Now they need special accommodations. Just like the wheelchair bound that get special privileges getting on the plane first and then you watch them walking off the plane. It's a joke.
Ignorant, hateful epithets aside, this is an uninformed post. I'm awaiting knee surgery. I can walk up the jetway, but I cannot walk from check-in to security to the gate. I ask for assistance in doing so, and am grateful the airports offer this service. The airlines know which passengers requested assistance; these passengers are permitted to board first, whether they can walk up the jetway or not.

It's helpful if you understand the policy before commenting in it.

Old 12-15-2023, 04:13 AM

30,513 posts, read 19,271,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I used to fly from Dubai to Seattle frequently and it seemed like half of those flying requested wheelchair service just to be carted around like a King and Queen.

The huge number of morbidly obese in our society is a judgement of how poorly our population adheres to good nutrition and proper health advice. It seems like a huge portion of the US population is incapable of even pushing a cart around in a grocery store, really sad. If you're 80+ years old or have been injured severely and unable to walk, then okay but the majority are just people that ate themselves into immobility.

I ate myself to unhealthy about 10 years ago but then educated myself on proper nutrition and now have a BMI of 21.6 and work out in the gym most days.

Old 12-15-2023, 06:34 AM

78,576 posts, read 60,772,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Of course, I'm free to choose where to spend my money. I'm failing to see your point.
Don't claim people are just criticizing policy....and then say how you (others have too) would boycott them.

A boycott is an attempt to control their behavior and policy.

Now either is totally within your rights but yeah my statement about how people are all about letting companies decide if it's a gay wedding cake but the minute it bothers them they want to control that companies decisions with boycotts.

I 100% support voting with your wallet. I am just noticing the people that waffle back and forth whining about it when the other party does it but then supporting it when it aligns with their opinions.

Old 12-15-2023, 06:49 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,517,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Don't claim people are just criticizing policy....and then say how you (others have too) would boycott them.

A boycott is an attempt to control their behavior and policy.

Now either is totally within your rights but yeah my statement about how people are all about letting companies decide if it's a gay wedding cake but the minute it bothers them they want to control that companies decisions with boycotts.

I 100% support voting with your wallet. I am just noticing the people that waffle back and forth whining about it when the other party does it but then supporting it when it aligns with their opinions.
The gay wedding cake issue is because they were sued for discrimination. No one complained because gays would obviously want to find another baker. But because the government wanted to shut down a business.

No one is advocating SouthWest to be shutdown. I'm saying, I'm not going to spend money at a company that gives another group preferential treatment. It's the most obvious thing in the world.

Why should we normal, in shape people, be discriminated against and tolerate it ? . Why should we spend our money at a company that gives fat people 2 seats for free and asks us to fly later? That's like saying gay people should continue to buy cakes from the baker who won't make them a gay wedding cake.

Old 12-15-2023, 06:57 AM

20,179 posts, read 9,078,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I wish airlines would charge by the pound, for passengers and luggage combined.
this is exactly what they should be doing. Get on the scale with your luggage, you'll be charge based on the sum of the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies