Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 09:18 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times

Advertisements

It looks like a SNL skit.....

Now I love me some tap dance, and I love me some Christmas - but this? Not so much......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2023, 09:21 AM

18,056 posts, read 15,645,534 times
A tap-dancing troupe, tap dances for the holidays, in costume.

Somebody, please stop those Radio City Rockettes, before they see that and get any bright ideas ... like high kicking for the holidays.

Kind of reminds me when the cast of 'Hamilton' were invited to the W.H. to perform a couple of the most popular songs of the show, back in 2016, to celebrate Arts In America.

Old 12-14-2023, 09:26 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I guess blacks performing ballet reminds people of minstrel shows,
no, but if they were this bad at ballet they would get trashed about that too

...saying it looks like a minstrel show....when it exactly does....is not racist

what's racist is not being able to criticize something because of their skin color

Old 12-14-2023, 09:34 AM

23,477 posts, read 12,496,511 times
Quote:
As I already posted "art is subjective" and liking or not liking it is your choice. But seeing some of the comments have been "The Democrat version of a Minstrel Show.", "Looked like a Minstrel Show and I think we were told those are racist", "Jill Biden is so trashy" or the one I was responding to "Minorities and trans people tap dancing" I would say my observation is appropriate.

I guess blacks performing ballet reminds people of minstrel shows, I don't see it do you? Considering the last Administration had 0 support for the performing arts like everything else seems a trait his followers to fall in line with as comments like "the people doing it are pathetic" a true patron of the arts. ...
That was not "ballet" it was tap dancing, which are two completely different forms of dance. And yes, it was like a minstrel show...sorry that you cannot handle that truth.

It's supposed to be a Christmas ad for every citizen, yet it was intentionally done as a way to pander to just certain groups of the population. I'm surprised they didn't include illegals in it...but maybe they don't know how to tap dance. If the WH is going to make a Christmas ad then it should be,
1. tasteful
and it should be,
2. generic enough to include ALL citizens.

This ad utterly fails in those respects, and the groups that they are obviously pandering to should be insulted.

Old 12-14-2023, 09:37 AM

23,477 posts, read 12,496,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post

Somebody, please stop those Radio City Rockettes, before they see that and get any bright ideas ... like high kicking for the holidays.
The Rockettes wouldn't do anything this cheesy and trashy.

Old 12-14-2023, 09:51 AM

45,202 posts, read 26,421,987 times
This display is just a reminder that this is not your government and they really don’t care what you think about it.

Old 12-14-2023, 10:02 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
no, but if they were this bad at ballet they would get trashed about that too

...saying it looks like a minstrel show....when it exactly does....is not racist

what's racist is not being able to criticize something because of their skin color
Trashing the dancing is a person's choice drawing a connection to a minstrel show why because people of color are tap dancing and performing?

As 1 posting shows "Minorities and trans people tap dancing in the White House." along with "The Democrat version of a Minstrel Show." in the same posting sounds pretty bad. Would that connection be inferred if it wasn't minorities...

Last edited by VA Yankee; 12-14-2023 at 10:19 AM..

Old 12-14-2023, 10:06 AM

6,365 posts, read 2,698,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post

Kind of reminds me when the cast of 'Hamilton' were invited to the W.H. to
perform a couple of the most popular songs of the show, back in 2016, to celebrate Arts In America.
If any creative directors or choreographers with the Rockettes came up with something like this "Nutcracker", they would be out on the street looking for a new job.

But you have to explain the link you see that after seeing this "Nutcracker" and exactly how it reminded you of the Broadway cast signing a few songs from their hit play. The Cast of Hamilton isn't even in costume and quite respectively dressed.

At this point, the best thing the White House could do is say that these people breached the security, and hacked their social media to post this video. Even an apparent lack of security at the WH would be better than this...

Old 12-14-2023, 10:06 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
That was not "ballet" it was tap dancing, which are two completely different forms of dance. And yes, it was like a minstrel show...sorry that you cannot handle that truth.

It's supposed to be a Christmas ad for every citizen, yet it was intentionally done as a way to pander to just certain groups of the population. I'm surprised they didn't include illegals in it...but maybe they don't know how to tap dance. If the WH is going to make a Christmas ad then it should be,
1. tasteful
and it should be,
2. generic enough to include ALL citizens.

This ad utterly fails in those respects, and the groups that they are obviously pandering to should be insulted.
So all tap dancing is considered a minstrel show, got it...

"Generic enough" or traditional enough there is a difference, I saw the video clips of what you liked and I remember quite well the negative comments over the former First ladies taste and style in her stark rendition of the holiday season.

That why I said art is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 12-14-2023, 10:11 AM

23,860 posts, read 24,096,161 times
Quote:
I guess blacks performing ballet reminds people of minstrel shows
That wasn't ballet.

That comment genuinely took me by surprise. Defend the trash, that's fine, but calling it ballet? Did you turn the sound on? It was jazz, and they were doing some weird jazz dance with a hat tip to the original ballet but it was by no means a ballet performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies