Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 10:35 AM

9,509 posts, read 4,344,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If you live in American society, if you're a citizen, you have some skin in the game. Period. Given that I don't own real property, what benefit would it be for me to be required to own real property in order to vote? What's in it for me?
The issue is that citizens who represent a net-negative to the system don't recognize the fact that they have skin in the game and that skin is for the US to remain economically and politically viable. They're not even smart enough to understand that repeatedly voting for candidates who tell them what they want to hear (you're a victim - I'll punish the wealthy by making them pay for the oppression you've suffered at their hands) will end up with them having nothing. They're too ignorant to even understand what is in their best interest. They are biting the hand that feeds. Nothing good will ever come from letting these bottom-feeding parasites have a say in anything.

In the words of Benjamin Franklin:
When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.

Of course, Franklin was just and old white guy who architected the system of oppression we suffer with today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2023, 11:18 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
The issue is that citizens who represent a net-negative to the system don't recognize the fact that they have skin in the game and that skin is for the US to remain economically and politically viable. They're not even smart enough to understand that repeatedly voting for candidates who tell them what they want to hear (you're a victim - I'll punish the wealthy by making them pay for the oppression you've suffered at their hands) will end up with them having nothing. They're too ignorant to even understand what is in their best interest. They are biting the hand that feeds. Nothing good will ever come from letting these bottom-feeding parasites have a say in anything.

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.

Of course, Franklin was just and old white guy who architected the system of oppression we suffer with today.
Everyone has skin in the game. This is why I want everyone to vote. Even if you are considered a net negative to the system, plenty of things can affect you.

There is something that I am bothered by that you said. There are plenty of people, not just the "net negative" who listen to whomever tells them what they want to hear. I don't think it has anything to do with "not being smart enough". It has to do with lingering resentment that might exist. It can be related to low-information environments where people aren't being told everything. It can be due to the alternative choice being even worse. There are plenty of people who will vote against their best interests, not due to being stupid, but being angry. Plenty of middle class people vote against their best interests.

Said persons might be the "bottom feeders". However, I've also learned this. When some people aren't heard, they go out and do things like riot. Something else that needs to be understood. We need statesmen, not grifter-type politicians. Consider this. Trump is one of those persons who appealed to the angry. He told people what they wanted to hear. Maybe what we need is to better-educate everyone to understand how everything works.

Old 12-31-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Everyone has skin in the game. This is why I want everyone to vote. Even if you are considered a net negative to the system, plenty of things can affect you.

There is something that I am bothered by that you said. There are plenty of people, not just the "net negative" who listen to whomever tells them what they want to hear. I don't think it has anything to do with "not being smart enough". It has to do with lingering resentment that might exist. It can be related to low-information environments where people aren't being told everything. It can be due to the alternative choice being even worse. There are plenty of people who will vote against their best interests, not due to being stupid, but being angry. Plenty of middle class people vote against their best interests.

Said persons might be the "bottom feeders". However, I've also learned this. When some people aren't heard, they go out and do things like riot.

Fair enough, but that lingering resentment, much of which has been nurtured by Democrats, causes them to make bad decisions - repeatedly. I get that it's human nature to let resentment influence one's decision making, but at some point folks need to take a hard look at their circumstances and make a genuine effort to determine how they ended up there. It's takes some serious adulting skills to admit that perhaps one has a victimhood mentality which is causing them to make poor life choices. Even if there is truth to said victimhood (and there is in many cases), overcoming such an obstacle should be something to be proud of.

Last edited by YourWakeUpCall; 12-31-2023 at 11:43 AM..

Old 12-31-2023, 11:50 AM

3,281 posts, read 1,418,208 times
Quote:
So, there's no chance that folks who are net-negative to the system will always vote for the candidate that enables their crappy behavior? What happens when the majority of voters are of the net-negative to the system variety? An extreme example would be if everyone voted for the candidate whose agenda includes paying folks to stay at home all day and do nothing. How do you suppose that would work out?

It's like putting the village drunk in charge of the local pub.
You want a King, elect Trump.

Old 12-31-2023, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Lolz. A lefty sound bite is not exactly a compelling retort. But, that's all Dems have.

Old 12-31-2023, 01:44 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
If I wanted a King, I'd go to Saudi Arabia. One reason I won't be voting for Trump, ever.

Old 12-31-2023, 02:03 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
What do you mean by ballot serial numbers? There's some tension between security and being able to identify the actual votes a person made.

Not to track who gets it but to track that it's been officially issued and counted only once.

Old 12-31-2023, 02:16 PM

4,192 posts, read 2,511,188 times
Quote:

That is a false attribution. It first appeared in an article in the Daily Oklahoman from Sunday December 9th, 1951 and in none of his writings.

It's actually taken from Alexander Fraser Tytler, Lord Woodhouselee, 1747-1813 from Scotland who wrote: “A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury."

Old 12-31-2023, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
That is a false attribution. It first appeared in 1951 and in none of his writings.

It's actually taken from Alexander Fraser Tytler, Lord Woodhouselee, 1747-1813 from Scotland who wrote: “A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury."

Interesting - I learned something new today. In fairness, there are tons of internet sources that still attribute the quote to Franklin.

Old 12-31-2023, 02:25 PM

507 posts, read 266,732 times
Quote:
Interesting - I learned something new today. In fairness, there tons of internet sources which still attribute the quote to Franklin.
I also learned a few new things today, even though I am an old dog.

Amazing how so much of what we read "on the internet" and in much of the media, is simply false or exaggerated. Even if "everyone" believes the world is flat and keeps saying so, it doesn't make it true. The challenge is to read what we read and not accept it as "necessarily" true, but potentially true ( and potentially false ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies