Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 11:33 AM

6,363 posts, read 2,698,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Yep, last time I was in SF, the Democrat Utopia, last year, everything was locked up in the Walgreens
It's interesting how the Democrats seem to have no problem with everything locked up except the criminals who are doing the stealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2024, 11:55 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,304,086 times
Quote:
Safeway recently entered into an agreement to sell 3.68 acres of land at Webster Plaza in the Fillmore district of San Francisco to Align Real Estate who will pursue a mixed-use development project to include housing and commercial retail space.

....there is a Trader Joe's opening nearby

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...osing/3414401/

Old 01-06-2024, 11:58 AM

11,767 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
fake news to try and marginalize democrats and their righteous policies. the facts are: 1. grocery stores close all the time. 2. cities have always had crime. 3. safeway's revenue was over 36 billion, making it a greedy corporation in desperate need of government oversight. 4. this could be an example of a right wing conspiracy theory to put more food deserts in urban areas to get downtrodden communities hooked on fast food.
Make sure to put sarcasm in there - fools might actually believe you

Old 01-06-2024, 12:07 PM

7,237 posts, read 3,776,807 times
"Fillmore?" It's in the Western Addition. High crime, public housing projects area. It's amazing they lasted as long as they did.

It will be fun to watch SF become a food desert of over-priced Indian, Pakistani and Korean-owned markets selling cold cereal and malt liquor on one side and over-priced gourmet markets with their $150 20 oz. dry-aged rib eyes on the other side.

Everyone else will have to drive to Daly City or further south to fill their shopping cart. That place is hopeless.

Old 01-06-2024, 12:27 PM

7,237 posts, read 3,776,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I was in SF last summer walked into the Walgreens on Market Street. There was a security guard standing outside the door and another seated just inside the entrance. There was a long line at the counter because two of the three registers weren't open. With half the store under lock and key employees were busy helping customers shop.

Same thing at the Safeway store on Taraval Street. The self-checkout lanes were closed and only one register was open. Other employees were helping customers shop. The checkout line was almost to the back of the store. There was a security guard at the entrance/exit door as well in front of the elevator which goes upstairs to the parking area.
And the Taraval Street Safeway is in one of the nicer and safer areas of the city. And they still had to have all the shoplifting security protocols in place.

Old 01-06-2024, 12:44 PM

8,017 posts, read 5,853,160 times
"Crimes ain't gots nuttin' to do wit it."

-- Maxine "Shallow" Waters

Of COURSE crime has everything to do with it. Grocery stores operate on razor thin margins. No chain -- or independent -- will or can tolerate this kind of impact to their bottom line, to say nothing of the impact to the safety of their paying customers and employees.

THIS is what you get when you are soft on crime. People that are criminals SHOULD be locked up, as they have no place in civilized society. If it creates a food desert, so be it. That's on the community, for not demanding a crackdown on crime.

Old 01-06-2024, 01:50 PM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times
The closure of that store is going to severely hurt residents who live nearby and shop there. The news story reported the closest store is a mile away. That might work for someone young and fit but there are lot of older people who wouldn't be able to make that trek. Guess it's taxi and uber for them. This drastic move all for the sake to add more housing?

Old 01-06-2024, 01:51 PM

30,995 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I was in SF last summer walked into the Walgreens on Market Street. There was a security guard standing outside the door and another seated just inside the entrance. There was a long line at the counter because two of the three registers weren't open. With half the store under lock and key employees were busy helping customers shop.

Same thing at the Safeway store on Taraval Street. The self-checkout lanes were closed and only one register was open. Other employees were helping customers shop. The checkout line was almost to the back of the store. There was a security guard at the entrance/exit door as well in front of the elevator which goes upstairs to the parking area.
Just the same as any Republican run city

Old 01-06-2024, 06:09 PM

13,684 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
And the Taraval Street Safeway is in one of the nicer and safer areas of the city. And they still had to have all the shoplifting security protocols in place.
In 2019 I was in SF for six weeks and often shopped at the *Safeway on Taraval. Usually only one or two checkout lanes were open which I thought odd given the store is often busy during the early evening. And for some reason the self-checkout area was closed every time I went shopping.

Now, this Safeway had already begun locking up certain items, so I had to grab someone to help me shop. It was also a hassle checking out given the line to cashier would sometimes stretch to the back of the store. I also shopped at the Safeway on Noriega. This store had begun locking up certain goods but at least the self-checkout area was open.

What's interesting is during this time (2019) none of the CVS, Walgreens and Target stores I shopped at had items locked away. Or at least not that I noticed, and this included the downtown area.

This business today of walking into a store and finding half of it behind lock and key is farily new.

Regarding Trader Joe's: Assuming it opens I wonder what type of security they will implement.
Quote:
While Trader Joe’s has not officially confirmed this, the developer who recently bought the property slated to become the Hayes Valley Trader Joe’s is claiming the new grocery store at 555 Fulton will be open by June 2024.
https://sfist.com/2023/10/16/develop...-by-june-2024/
*Side tidbit: I worked at this store as a bag boy 1979-80.

Old 01-06-2024, 09:36 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
I think it's kind of cute y'all are so quick to believe what ever corporations tell you about their business. There's an REI outdoors store near where I live. Last fall they made an announcement that there were closing that location. Said it was because of neighborhood crime and theft. The store was no longer profitable. I couldn't shake the feel there was more to it than that, maybe something else was going on.

It didn't take long for the news to come out that the store was making money thank you very much. So much so that they had approached the landlord about freeing up some space so they could expand. Apparently REI got pissy about the terms of what would have been a new lease. The best was yet to come because soon after the word came out that there was an attempt to unionize the store and those involved were pretty confident it was going to happen. So within six weeks of REI's announcement they were busted TWICE with lies.

What does this have to do with a Safeway in the bay? Do you think the Kroger acquisition of Safeway and Albertson's might have something to do with it? Much of the what the FTC is looking at even now is does the acquisition represent a violation of antitrust provisions? Kroger has already stated the expect to close 200 some stores if the buy out goes through. Are we real certain this wasn't the trigger to close the SF store? We already know the Retail Federation was fudging numbers in their report to Congress, could this be what's happening? Do we know if there were issues with the building lease? Do we know if there were unionization effort? No we don't.

What we do know is there seems to be a contingent of folks on this lovely website that delight in placing blame on people that may or may not deserve it. That whatever a corporation or business says must be true and believed. That being opaque is better than being transparent in your dealings. Hey, that's cool but never wonder why you aren't being taken seriously by serious people. They just think you're a bad joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies