Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 07:24 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Next stop for leftists is George Washington

They are going to rename Washington state to Barrack Hussein Obama
The next stop could be to remove all links to former colonial powers, and of course that would include France and that big statue they gave the US as a gift, which is known as the State of Liberty. Lets also not forget that at one time the French were involved in the slave trade, so in relation to the current US administrations thinking it's future should be under consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2024, 07:26 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Not sure if anyone has chimed in yet with this little quote but if not, it's quite prescient.

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

― George Orwell, 1984
in biden's America, that quote should be displayed front and center in every public building in the country.

Old 01-08-2024, 07:53 AM

6,389 posts, read 2,715,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
A huge statue of the same man is atop the Philadelphia city hall and will remain there. The tiny statue in the park is anemic.

The statue atop city hall:
https://www.associationforpublicart..../william-penn/
So the new "limit" for statues is 1.

Okay...in Atlanta 3 statues are honoring MLK. Do you think that a certain group of people would accept removing 2 of the statues since he will still have one?

Old 01-08-2024, 07:55 AM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
So the new "limit" for statues is 1.

Okay...in Atlanta 3 statues are honoring MLK. Do you think that a certain group of people would accept removing 2 of the statues since he will still have one?
I do appreciate the MLK street names. It lets me I’m know in a high crime area.

Old 01-08-2024, 08:03 AM

6,389 posts, read 2,715,560 times
It's kind of interesting how the left keeps focusing on the Statue trying to minimize it as no big deal. Yet it isn't just about the Statue.

https://www.nps.gov/inde/learn/news/...lcome-park.htm

In addition to the Statue, they are removing the model house AND will eventually remove the entire Penn Timeline exhibit.

But they aren't trying to erase history...

Old 01-08-2024, 08:18 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,477,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The next stop could be to remove all links to former colonial powers, and of course that would include France and that big statue they gave the US as a gift, which is known as the State of Liberty. Lets also not forget that at one time the French were involved in the slave trade, so in relation to the current US administrations thinking it's future should be under consideration.
Maybe the Statue of Liberty can be replaced with the Statue of Equity? George Floyd holding up a syringe instead of a torch.

Old 01-08-2024, 08:43 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,795,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Next thing you know they'll want to rename the state, since it was named after Penn.

What's supposed to be "non-inclusive" about Penn?
Better yet let’s rename our capital. It’s named after a slave owner. These things are all coming down the pipeline.

Old 01-08-2024, 11:00 AM

19,221 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
It's kind of interesting how the left keeps focusing on the Statue trying to minimize it as no big deal. Yet it isn't just about the Statue.

https://www.nps.gov/inde/learn/news/...lcome-park.htm

In addition to the Statue, they are removing the model house AND will eventually remove the entire Penn Timeline exhibit.

But they aren't trying to erase history...
I find it interesting how the right views any changes as an erasure when the link clearly states that the site is "proposed" to being updated and expanded to reflect more accurately what it represents and they are soliciting inputs from the public.

The timeline you mention " new exhibit panels will be installed on the south site wall to replace the Penn timeline." and i'll bet the statue is given a new home somewhere also. Ever consider that the park doesn't get a lot of traffic and an updated presentation might help to resolve that...

Old 01-08-2024, 11:27 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I find it interesting how the right views any changes as an erasure when the link clearly states that the site is "proposed" to being updated and expanded to reflect more accurately what it represents and they are soliciting inputs from the public.

The timeline you mention " new exhibit panels will be installed on the south site wall to replace the Penn timeline." and i'll bet the statue is given a new home somewhere also. Ever consider that the park doesn't get a lot of traffic and an updated presentation might help to resolve that...
I have no idea how this is supposed to refute what that person wrote. He accurately stated what is written in that link, then you repeated back his statement about what is written in that link. Yet you act as if you're proving him wrong or something.

I still don't know what's so Native American about Philadelphia. Nothing that I can see.

Old 01-08-2024, 12:27 PM

5,176 posts, read 4,951,032 times
For those interested, here is the direct link to the Park Service comments page: https://parkplanning.nps.gov/commentForm.cfm?documentID=133718
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies