Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 06:33 PM

1,702 posts, read 786,946 times

Advertisements

Weed is God’s gift to humanity!

This thread sounds like an ultra conservative one reminiscent of the 80s “Just Say No” Nancy Reagan public service announcements. Get over it people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 06:46 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,006,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
No, universal prohibition of sales to anyone under 21 is a start.
I disagree with the age, but not vehemently so. So what's the endgame, in your realistic ideal scenario?

I see problems with pot, but IMO we have to stop using laws like a magic wand to get rid of things we don't like. The only thing worse than schizophrenia is schizophrenia with legal debt, jail, new criminal friends, resentment of society/authority etc.

Old 01-11-2024, 06:52 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,572,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It creates dependency like many other substances, even nicotine.
Quote:
That's the first I've heard that. I thought pot smokers could quit any time they like? At least, that's what the marijuana advocates say.
I cycle off and on with no problem at all. I don't smoke, but use gummies for sleep. I have sleep apnea and was lucky to get four hours of sleep a night. Now I get 8-10. I've read some studies that claim it may not be as restful claiming you don't get into a deep sleep. I disagree. I feel significantly better than I used to as I was practically falling asleep behind the wheel when I was driving home (that never happens anymore). And the amount of sleep I was getting was surely going to cut off years from my life. THC has been a life saver for me. And at no point has it been addictive or had me looking for harder drugs (much to the chagrin of Conservatives that constantly claim this nonsense). I've also gone off of gummies for weeks so hard to make an argument that it's been addictive to me.

Here's a study that talks about the likelihood of addiction. It notes ..

The cumulative probability estimate of transition to dependence was 67.5% for nicotine users, 22.7% for alcohol users, 20.9% for cocaine users, and 8.9% for cannabis users.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21145178/

And yet, the top 2 are freely sold and restrictions are put on marijuana (sure that makes sense).

Last edited by blameyourself; 01-11-2024 at 07:16 PM..

Old 01-11-2024, 07:22 PM

2,025 posts, read 874,679 times
Quote:
Addicts will do anything, including smoking a joint which was already used rectally
Lmao You have lost your mind.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:55 PM

11,051 posts, read 6,005,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
I cycle off and on with no problem at all. I don't smoke, but use gummies for sleep. I have sleep apnea and was lucky to get four hours of sleep a night. Now I get 8-10. I've read some studies that claim it may not be as restful claiming you don't get into a deep sleep. I disagree. I feel significantly better than I used to as I was practically falling asleep behind the wheel when I was driving home (that never happens anymore). And the amount of sleep I was getting was surely going to cut off years from my life. THC has been a life saver for me. And at no point has it been addictive or had me looking for harder drugs (much to the chagrin of Conservatives that constantly claim this nonsense). I've also gone off of gummies for weeks so hard to make an argument that it's been addictive to me.

Here's a study that talks about the likelihood of addiction. It notes ..

The cumulative probability estimate of transition to dependence was 67.5% for nicotine users, 22.7% for alcohol users, 20.9% for cocaine users, and 8.9% for cannabis users.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21145178/

And yet, the top 2 are freely sold and restrictions are put on marijuana (sure that makes sense).
It's hard to tell just observing pot users. One gets the impression that they just have to have their joint, like they can't go without. Habit forming perhaps? I had a beer habit. I just had to have my beer! Was I addicted? Well, I just stopped one day. The problem I found was what to do when it was beer time. It was like I was lost. And thirst - beer is thirst quenching while water is just not. Then I learned that is was the CO2 in beer that was thirst quenching so I started drinking soda water. Problem solved. But my point is, I was habitually addicted to drinking beer. Is there a parallel with pot users perhaps? What about self medication?

As I said in an earlier post, I have questions but no answers to give.

Old 01-11-2024, 09:33 PM

35,742 posts, read 21,105,153 times
Quote:
Multiple studies are now showing high-potency marijuana can lead to psychotic episodes, as well as trigger full-blown psychosis in those with a family history of psychosis but would probably not experience the disease had they not used marijuana.

Anecdotal, I know, but a lot of people I see interviewed in travel blogs seem to agree their city did not have a drug problem until marijuana was legalized and dispensaries started popping up left and right. I don't remember the name, but I think one small city in the Intermountain West has 72 dispensaries and the town has gone to hell.

Drug use is a blight and should be discouraged at all levels.
Weed needs to be decriminalized and sold with all the rules in place. I can tell you with teen grands etc. this present weed is so full of crap fillers, it’s crazy. Some have Lead, arsenic, and the below :

In this work, we have focused on the profiling of 5647 street samples covering marijuana, common and new recreational illicit drugs.

5647 illicit drugs street samples were analyzed.
53 illicit drugs were identified.

In total we have identified 53 illicit drugs with Δ-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), amphetamine, N-ethylhexedrone, 3,4-methylenedioxy methamphetamine (MDMA), 4-chloromethcathinone (4-CMC), α-pyrrolidinoisohexaphenone (α-PHiP), cocaine, and 4-chloroethcathinone (4-CEC) being most commonly found and making 38.5, 17.8, 15.5, 8.0, 3.5, 2.7, 2.1, and 2.0% of the total studied pool, respectively. Except for methadone, all analyzed street samples were spiked with at least one cutting agent. Caffeine was the most frequently found adulterating addition present in around 33% (excluding marijuana) of the analyzed samples. Other identified cutting agents make an impressive group of more than 160 compounds. Finally, we have tabulated, illustrated, and discussed presented data in a view of smart and portable sensors development.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...39914021008262

Old 01-11-2024, 09:47 PM

35,742 posts, read 21,105,153 times
More findings on weed. The stuff is now toxic.
Adulterants in Marijuana
Marijuana is less likely to be adulterated than illicit drugs that are sold as powders and tablets.2 However, that doesn’t mean that contaminants have not been found in marijuana samples. These adulterants include:

Lead, aluminum, and glass. Lead and glass are presumably added to increase the weight of the product but can lead to lead poisoning and ulcerations of the mouth and a persistent cough, respectively. It is generally unknown why aluminum is added but may be due to impure water sources used during growing. Aluminum can lead to smoking-related diseases such as lung disease, emphysema, and chronic bronchitis.2
Pesticides. Pesticides may be used to increase crop yield, especially with indoor-grown cannabis. Control guidelines that regulate the use of pesticides on other botanicals don’t exist for the growing of cannabis.2
Mold and fungus. Since marijuana is a live, cultivated botanical, it may be susceptible to contaminated microorganisms—such as aspergillus flavus—which, in some cases, has been associated with health issues, including pulmonary infections or fungal hypersensitivity reactions.2
Synthetic cannabinoids. A recent study tested over 1,000 herbal, resin, and e-liquid forms of marijuana samples and found that 24% of the samples contained the synthetic cannabinoid MDMB-4en-PINACA.13 Synthetic cannabinoids can cause severe intoxication and other adverse effects, including psychosis, seizures, respiratory failure, altered brain function, pancreatitis, kidney injury, and death.14

https://americanaddictioncenters.org...-in-drugs-mdma

Old 01-11-2024, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 400 times
Reefer Madness

Old 01-11-2024, 11:14 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,390,229 times
Quote:
That's old news. The psycho-toxins in marijuana are a well known trigger for psychoses, and even permanent mental illnesses like schizophrenia.
Old news to you and me, but apparently a lot of people are unaware.

Old 01-11-2024, 11:38 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,474,479 times
The strands of MJ being marketed are far more potent then the homegrown stuff found in grandmas basement.

MJ is no more "safe" in todays market. Its stronger actually!!

. As stated above MJ is now more potency for the "mad" / errr I mean "mello" effect.

Ive watched certain folks argue on the medicinal benefits - epilepsy, narcolepsy, cancer patients with anxiety,. All which are components pulled from the MJ plant base.

our Government only started pushing this as a legally marketable product because....

IT GIVES THEM REVENUE!! it has zero to do with giving a flying fig tree if its for medicinal or its adverse effect is psychosis....

It takes some of the heat off the Drug enforcement teams that for YEARS have been confiscating Drug mules hauling this stuff from central/south america. Now you can buy it local! Nothing like saying "made in america" to tickle the mass's to buy it eh?

Drugs are the gift that keeps giving to the govt. More revenue- More rehab centers, More need for police, More need for counseling. Its a endless cycle of win win for them. So long as money is the end game- humanity will keep buying and smoking products that alter their minds and justify it as " Its not that bad- I didn't die yet!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies