Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 12:01 PM

11,879 posts, read 5,847,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
This is why our allies are praying Trump lose the elections. He suggested abandoning NATO on multiple occasions, and then there is the comment below AND yesterday said that he'd honor the commitment conditionally based on how Europeans treat us (meaning teat HIM). Who can trust this guy?

Trump told European leaders that US ‘will never come to help you’
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-europe-attack
Then president told European commissioners in 2020 that ‘Nato is dead’ and the US would never defend Europe if it were attacked

Multiple news outlets said the exchange between Trump and Ursula von der Leyen at the World Economic Forum in Davos in 2020 was described in Brussels on Tuesday by Thierry Breton, a French European commissioner responsible for the internal market, with responsibilities including defence.

“You need to understand that if Europe is under attack we will never come to help you and to support you,” Trump said, according to Breton, who was speaking at the European parliament.
If this actually happened in 2020 - why is it only being reported now? I question the speakers memory of what was actually said 4 yrs ago. It should have been brought to light then if Trump actually said it.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:06 PM

39,278 posts, read 27,671,721 times
well like it or not, the question that every American will be asking is whether they are willing to spend their tax dollars and or send their child to fight a war and possibly die over a few wheat fields in Eastern Europe just so the Europeans can sip tea, wine, and beer in London, Paris, and Berlin in peace.

Oh, not just America, I think UK should definitely pull out of NATO as well.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:06 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,722,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I thought they all hated when Americans acting like the world police. What do you expect Americans to do for them? My goodness.
The expectation is for all members to honor the treaty, or withdraw from the alliance. What's the point of having a treaty where you can't count on the members to honor the commitment.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Oh, not just America, I think UK should definitely pull out of NATO as well.
I dont think they want to, since only 3% in UK are opposed to NATO.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:17 PM

Quote:
The expectation is for all members to honor the treaty, or withdraw from the alliance. What's the point of having a treaty where you can't count on the members to honor the commitment.
Apart from the US, the main NATO powers are
France, UK, Turkey, Canada, Italy, Spain, Germany

UK and France have nuclear power, and are among the 6 largest military powers int he world. Turkey has significant military power,
Germany, France, The UK, Canada, and Italy are part of the G7, they are among the 7 most economically powerful countries.

If the United States left Nato, then the alliance could eventually survive if the members decided to do so, They have the economic power to do so.

I would say, Russia probably had no desire to get into a war with the rest of Europe and certainly not to use nuclear weapons against them.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Apart from the US, the main NATO powers are
France, UK, Turkey, Canada, Italy, Spain, Germany

UK and France have nuclear power, and are among the 6 largest military powers int he world. Turkey has significant military power,
Germany, France, The UK, Canada, and Italy are part of the G7, they are among the 7 most economically powerful countries.

If the United States left Nato, then the alliance could eventually survive if the members decided to do so, They have the economic power to do so.

I would say, Russia probably had no desire to get into a war with the rest of Europe and certainly not to use nuclear weapons against them.
I get it. You want US out, and you support Trump because he might make it happen. After we leave, we'd have to boost military spending to make up for the lost alliance. That's cool, but can we afford it?

Old 01-11-2024, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I get it. You want US out, and you support Trump because he might make it happen. After we leave, we'd have to boost military spending to make up for the lost alliance. That's cool, but can we afford it?
sheesh, none of the above is true about me, at least not 100% true.

I want to correct myself though, I did not want US completely out now, as it is unrealistic.

I am only saying th NATO countries have the economic power to survive even if the US is out.

Article 5 kicks in and all comes armed and ready. It has only been used once, following 9/11. Every NATO country participated sending troops to fight alongside the US. So I will CERTAINLY give the credit where credit is due.

With this said, however, by now, it should be clear that throwing a lot of money into a high tech military does not win you wars.

US allies realized this and have adjusted their military forces accordingly, small specialized units are far more effective in today's conflicts.

Regarding Trump, I didn't lose anybody when Trump was the president, I certainly lost friends/loved one when w Bush and Obama were the presidents, So Trump is not a bad president for me. Yes, I will vote for him again.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:39 PM

10,837 posts, read 4,380,348 times
Quote:
This is why our allies are praying Trump lose the elections. He suggested abandoning NATO on multiple occasions, and then there is the comment below AND yesterday said that he'd honor the commitment conditionally based on how Europeans treat us (meaning teat HIM). Who can trust this guy?
Trump is the only American POTUS we can trust, because he puts America first.
If Europe don't pay their due, they don't deserve help.
That's why the NATO Secretary General has praised Trump, because Trump applies pressure to make NATO countries pay.
Whereas Biden wants America to be a doormat.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:40 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,321,576 times
Quote:

Trump told European leaders that US ‘will never come to help you’
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-europe-attack
Then president told European commissioners in 2020 that ‘Nato is dead’ and the US would never defend Europe if it were attacked

Multiple news outlets said the exchange between Trump and Ursula von der Leyen at the World Economic Forum in Davos in 2020 was described in Brussels on Tuesday by Thierry Breton, a French European commissioner responsible for the internal market, with responsibilities including defence.

“You need to understand that if Europe is under attack we will never come to help you and to support you,” Trump said, according to Breton, who was speaking at the European parliament.
So are you volunteering to go fight to defend Europe? Have you ever volunteered to fight anywhere? Or do you just want to see other people do that?

Old 01-11-2024, 12:51 PM

45,518 posts, read 60,760,162 times
Quote:

Yep, and until recently less than the ten who are today were. the rest, 2/3 of the total, still do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies