Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 03:10 PM

32,841 posts, read 19,521,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Sorry, mother died decades ago, and current domicile lacks a basement.

I suggest that you study the works of Henry Kissinger, the greatest foreign-policy statesman of the modern era. Dr. Kissinger can explain far better than I can, what's fundamentally wrong with MAGA, isolationism, and puerile reluctance to fund foreign governments or foreign wars.
kissinger is a war criminal...

Old 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM

43,262 posts, read 18,396,803 times
I just read that their "compromise" bill is only $68 billion over budget.
And this doesn't count Biden's demand for $113 billion for his pal Zelensky

Old 01-18-2024, 05:41 AM

59,277 posts, read 27,446,336 times
Quote:

I suggest that you study the works of Henry Kissinger, the greatest foreign-policy statesman of the modern era. Dr. Kissinger can explain far better than I can, what's fundamentally wrong with MAGA, isolationism, and puerile reluctance to fund foreign governments or foreign wars.
"Henry Kissinger, the greatest foreign-policy statesman of the modern era."

You are entitles too your OPINION!

Old 01-18-2024, 10:42 AM

10,939 posts, read 4,600,843 times
Quote:

why? I know for a fact you DID NOT read him, simply because of the terms you used. Do you know who he was?

Kissingers greatest claim to fame is that he was NEVER hard fast consistent. (just ask him about Crimea his perhaps last flip flop) Any serious student knows that. In fact, ITS HOW HE GOT HIS ENTRENCHMENT IN US politics. He only supported funding SOME foreign entities or wars as long as they aided long term us-soviet strategy. <---that was the key point: sometimes a govt, next week the rebels fighting same govt. As he approached death, (without knowing he was dying) he had recognized that china, is the new USSR and we should have appeased the soviets in 2014 (he even sed so), given then now we dont have the soviets on our side, we can no afford to anger the chinese, like he did the soviets all of his career. He stated often that the worst outcome would be the chicomms siding with the soviets simply on an ideological basis. And his view on the iran/iraq question exactly dovetails with that of the bush and trump admins and completely destroyed by the obama and biden admins.

'MAGA', or rather 'america first' was the CORNERSTONE of everything he ever did and said.

For shame. I weep for the vast ineptitude this country embraces. The clintons removal of contemporary US and world history from our schools in the 90s is REALLY starting to show.

Old 01-18-2024, 01:39 PM

13,673 posts, read 9,749,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
why? I know for a fact you DID NOT read him, simply because of the terms you used. Do you know who he was?

Kissingers greatest claim to fame is that he was NEVER hard fast consistent. (just ask him about Crimea his perhaps last flip flop) Any serious student knows that. In fact, ITS HOW HE GOT HIS ENTRENCHMENT IN US politics. He only supported funding SOME foreign entities or wars as long as they aided long term us-soviet strategy. <---that was the key point: sometimes a govt, next week the rebels fighting same govt. As he approached death, (without knowing he was dying) he had recognized that china, is the new USSR and we should have appeased the soviets in 2014 (he even sed so), given then now we dont have the soviets on our side, we can no afford to anger the chinese, like he did the soviets all of his career. He stated often that the worst outcome would be the chicomms siding with the soviets simply on an ideological basis. And his view on the iran/iraq question exactly dovetails with that of the bush and trump admins and completely destroyed by the obama and biden admins.

'MAGA', or rather 'america first' was the CORNERSTONE of everything he ever did and said.

For shame. I weep for the vast ineptitude this country embraces. The clintons removal of contemporary US and world history from our schools in the 90s is REALLY starting to show.

It saddens me that your response degenerates into personal insults, or a locker-room contest of who’s read the most books and who has the finer education. We’ll leave that be. Instead, I acknowledge your point, that Kissinger, like all wise statesmen, varied his position, sometimes diametrically, to suit the tenor of the times.
Going back even further, to a more illustrative example, is that of Otto von Bismarck. Sometimes Bismarck was pro-peace, sometimes pro-war. Sometimes he spurred the generals to go fight; other times, he reeled them back. But in all cases, he recognized that German prosperity was only possible by engaging in European affairs… it could not be achieved by turning-inward.

MAGA was never about stability of American power, or retaining American prosperity. It is a repudiation of superpower responsibilities, ostensibly to favor the homefront. It is a fallacy, because a prosperous homefront is impossible without projecting power abroad, sometimes to the detriment of budgets or spending here at home. A Bismarck or a Kissinger would recognize that. Today, Nikki Haley recognizes that. “RINOs” recognize that. The MAGA faction of the Republican party does not.

Old 01-18-2024, 07:38 PM

10,939 posts, read 4,600,843 times
Quote:
It saddens me that your response degenerates into personal insults, or a locker-room contest of who’s read the most books and who has the finer education. We’ll leave that be. Instead, I acknowledge your point, that Kissinger, like all wise statesmen, varied his position, sometimes diametrically, to suit the tenor of the times.
Going back even further, to a more illustrative example, is that of Otto von Bismarck. Sometimes Bismarck was pro-peace, sometimes pro-war. Sometimes he spurred the generals to go fight; other times, he reeled them back. But in all cases, he recognized that German prosperity was only possible by engaging in European affairs… it could not be achieved by turning-inward.

MAGA was never about stability of American power, or retaining American prosperity. It is a repudiation of superpower responsibilities, ostensibly to favor the homefront. It is a fallacy, because a prosperous homefront is impossible without projecting power abroad, sometimes to the detriment of budgets or spending here at home. A Bismarck or a Kissinger would recognize that. Today, Nikki Haley recognizes that. “RINOs” recognize that. The MAGA faction of the Republican party does not.

OMG. If anyone need an example of deflection hereyago.

I was replying to YOU who was 'insulting' another poster and you were using some guy to make your point like you knew all about him and then you write THIS? REALLY?????

There is NOTHING inherently isolationist about 'MAGA' - you are drinking too much MSM koolaid. did we, or did we not listen to 3-4 years of mewling because the creator of MAGA (Trump) was awfully hard on the despots? What EXACTLY did you say when he blew Solemani into confetti? WE had exactly zero shooting wars without transferring the contents of the treasury to someone else. All things being equal, Id GLADLY take that back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies