Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 07:47 PM

30 posts, read 82,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i dont think they should be illegal. that will only result in women getting abortions by people who are not qualified and can cause infection/death--just like it was before it became legalized. you can only imagine how many people will all of a sudden become "doctors", just to make money. there is a reason why it was legalized in the first place.
i dont think it should be used as a form of birth control, but we should have the right to choose.
i agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 08:38 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
The abortion debate can get scientific, with science on the pro-life movement's side. By the mere definition of life, the fetus is a living being. So if you want to avoid religion, then science will be just fine.
Well then, since you volunteered, please tell all of us peons what the definition of a living thing is.

Show me where mitosis of cells makes something living.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:46 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
My favorite anti-abortion argument is not to argue... just ask someone...

Do you know that "fetus" is a Latin word? Do you know what it means?

No, don't use a new dictionary. Look it up in a politically uncorrect one from prior to 1995.

It means "baby".
Sorry to say, but you are wrong.

I would actually tell you where the word came from and what it means, but your 3rd sentence clearly states you don't care. You have called something a fact, even though it isn't, to strengthen your argument with hopes no one would actually ever know the meaning or research it.

Even at that, you clearly stated everything after 1995 is incorrect even though you have no basis for this and the chances of someone having access to something before is slim.

Besides, it is humans that asign names, we could have called it lava or a chair all anyone could know or care, it would not have changed any physical component of what it is.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:57 PM

521 posts, read 1,629,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
Abortion Is The Act Of Aborting A Baby Still In The Process Of Being Developed. I Think That Abortions Is Wrong Because You Have A Growing Human Being Inside Another Human Being. You And Another Man Created That Baby, And If You Accidently Got Pregnant, Women Just Decide "well, I Dont Want The Baby, I'll Just Abort So I Don't Have To Worry About It Anymore" Killing The Baby Just Because A Woman Doesn't Want Doesn't Make It Fair For The Baby. Why Can't The Baby Just Be Put Up For Adoption, And Give It To Another Family Who Are Struggling To Create Their Own Life, That Just Makes More Sense, Doesn't It?!! Aborting A Baby Is Also A Sinful Act Too, Because You're murderingyour Own Child! That You Created! I Can't Imagine That Someone Would Even Want To Consider Even Having An Abortion. And What If Your Parents Had Aborted You, You Wouldn't Even Be Here Right Now. Now Think About That! God Told Us To Be Fruitful And Multiply, Apparently Some Women Just Want To Do Their Careers First Instead Family, Which Family Is More Important Than Work And Money, I Guess That's Why They Have Abortions. Now I Can Understand If You Want Your Family To Financially Secure.

I Just Think That Abortions Should Be Illegal Except For In Cases Of Incest And Rape, What Do You Guys Think?

SORRY ABOUT EVERY FIRST LETTER OF EVERY WORD BEING CAPITALIZED, I HAD THE CAPS LOCK KEY ON.
I think its idiotic to bring religion into the abortion argument. If you have your religious beliefs --> great. Good for you. Im glad you are so religious. I just hope you stick to your "religious" values in every way or you're nothing but a hypocrit.

However, to tell others they shouldnt get abortions because of your personal religious beliefs is just stupid. Your basically telling them what they should believe in, i.e. what you believe in. If you want to convince yourself that they are going to hell, then your free to do that yourself.

If people want abortions --> whatever. Their own business. There should however be a cut off point somewhere when they can't though.
But please dont bring god into the mix. Keep it inside your own home.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:21 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
I would actually tell you where the word came from and what it means, but your 3rd sentence clearly states you don't care.

Well, I could also tell you what "assume" means, but I suspect others have already defined that for you.

I was told that "fetus" meant "baby" by a Latin professor, years ago. Googling it, I find that recent dictionaries define it to say "offspring" or "Bearing of young".

Even in it's current definitions, it still doesn't say "parasites" or "mitosis of cells".

All I can say in this ridiculous thread meant to provoke people like you into making condescending remarks against other's beliefs... I don't care. Someone who is capable of paying someone else to kill their baby is not going to make a good mom, so it's a good thing she's not giving birth.

That is my opinion. Others have other opinions. Mine is not politically correct, therefore those who call themselves "all accepting" feel the need to attack it. I get it. I've met liberals before.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:50 AM

335 posts, read 1,028,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soduscouple View Post
ok im young with two boys i am a happy mother...i could never or would never consider having a abortion even if iwas to get pregnant now...after my second just turned fourmonths....i think abortions are murder...its just not right...but thats me
I am a mother also, I enjoyed every aspect of my pregnancy and I adore my son however I cannot base my feelings on everyone else's, everyone is different as are their personal experiences and issues that they may be dealing with. I feel that every woman has the right to choose what she does with her body.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:01 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
The abortion debate can get scientific, with science on the pro-life movement's side. By the mere definition of life, the fetus is a living being. So if you want to avoid religion, then science will be just fine.
And if we wanted to preserve all life, we wouldn't drive, we wouldn't take walks and step on bugs, we wouldn't take baths, etc.

Just because something is alive doesn't mean it has a right to live. In fact, according to the constitution, a fetus has no rights at all.

And, if you want to go by science, the fetus is a parasite which only saps the life force from the "host"(mother). If a woman feels like she wants to rid herself of this condition, then she should by all means feel free to. It is her bodily domain, and she should not have to keep any foreign objects that she does nto want in it.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:29 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
Abortion Is The Act Of Aborting A Baby Still In The Process Of Being Developed. I Think That Abortions Is Wrong Because You Have A Growing Human Being Inside Another Human Being. You And Another Man Created That Baby, And If You Accidently Got Pregnant, Women Just Decide "well, I Dont Want The Baby, I'll Just Abort So I Don't Have To Worry About It Anymore" Killing The Baby Just Because A Woman Doesn't Want Doesn't Make It Fair For The Baby. Why Can't The Baby Just Be Put Up For Adoption, And Give It To Another Family Who Are Struggling To Create Their Own Life, That Just Makes More Sense, Doesn't It?!! Aborting A Baby Is Also A Sinful Act Too, Because You're murderingyour Own Child! That You Created! I Can't Imagine That Someone Would Even Want To Consider Even Having An Abortion. And What If Your Parents Had Aborted You, You Wouldn't Even Be Here Right Now. Now Think About That! God Told Us To Be Fruitful And Multiply, Apparently Some Women Just Want To Do Their Careers First Instead Family, Which Family Is More Important Than Work And Money, I Guess That's Why They Have Abortions. Now I Can Understand If You Want Your Family To Financially Secure.

I Just Think That Abortions Should Be Illegal Except For In Cases Of Incest And Rape, What Do You Guys Think?

SORRY ABOUT EVERY FIRST LETTER OF EVERY WORD BEING CAPITALIZED, I HAD THE CAPS LOCK KEY ON.
I agree with you 99.9%. The only thing I disagree with you on is the rape/incest thing. While rape and incest is a tragedy, I still don't see how a child conceived in this unfortunate manner should die. Human life is human life.

Abortion should be illegal....period!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i dont think they should be illegal. that will only result in women getting abortions by people who are not qualified and can cause infection/death.

If someone who is committing murder happens to die or get hurt in the process themselves...I call that "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth.."

Old 06-05-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post

And, if you want to go by science, the fetus is a parasite which only saps the life force from the "host"(mother). If a woman feels like she wants to rid herself of this condition, then she should by all means feel free to. It is her bodily domain, and she should not have to keep any foreign objects that she does nto want in it.

Pathetic. Its sad that some people think this way.

If a woman wants to choose, I say she should choose not to open her legs if she doesn't want children. The same goes for guys who are not prepared to be fathers...keep it in your pants. Its really simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies