Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2024, 07:24 AM

50,834 posts, read 36,538,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You live in NY eh? After they raised the taxes there to like 3-4x the cost of the product, the mafia and the indian reservations made some nice profits bringing in untaxed cigs.
My nephew got a huge tax bill from the state of NJ years ago for buying those Indian reservation cigarettes online. They somehow got the company’s customer list and sent tax bills to all of them that were NJ residents.His tax bill was over $700 because he was getting them for family members too.

Some people go to Delaware to get them because the tax is much lower there but if you buy more than a personal use amount they’ll get you there too.

Old 01-19-2024, 07:25 AM

50,834 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
No wonder the old mob stories in movies about cigarettes' smuggling. Just by chance I was looking at the price in California a couple of weeks ago. My smoking neighbors pay over $10/pack for their sins.
They’re over $11 a pack here. In NY close to $15.

Old 01-19-2024, 07:35 AM

6,997 posts, read 2,715,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
No wonder the old mob stories in movies about cigarettes' smuggling. Just by chance I was looking at the price in California a couple of weeks ago. My smoking neighbors pay over $10/pack for their sins.
... and I thought it was a ripoff when my mom was paying $5/carton back in the 1970s.

Old 01-19-2024, 08:07 AM

78,454 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My nephew got a huge tax bill from the state of NJ years ago for buying those Indian reservation cigarettes online. They somehow got the company’s customer list and sent tax bills to all of them that were NJ residents.His tax bill was over $700 because he was getting them for family members too.

Some people go to Delaware to get them because the tax is much lower there but if you buy more than a personal use amount they’ll get you there too.
I didn't know about the on-line thing.

I suspect the mafia is not leaving a paper trail when they buy large amounts.

$50/carton profit makes for a 3k per case profit.

3 cases a week = 450k+ a year

Google says NYC has about 50% illegal cigs. given they have a city tax on top of the 5.35 state tax.

Old 01-19-2024, 08:10 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,478,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
McBiden
McUninformed? Yep.

Old 01-19-2024, 08:11 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 12 days ago)

35,639 posts, read 17,994,810 times
If I'm out running errands or doing stuff and not close to home, I'll fairly often zip by McDonalds for a hamburger. The original small sandwich that was the staple of McDonalds for years. The price on that varies so much I wonder what in the world is going on with McDonald's. Through the drive-up window, I order a hamburger, that's all, no cheese, and it varies between about $1.50 and $3.50.

Old 01-19-2024, 08:28 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
they're still in Maryland and Virginia but Wawa and Royal Farms are driving them out it seems.

Remember High's? Saw one in Delaware recently.
highs is common in MD but you are right about wawa and RF putting a big pinch on 7-11.

japan has more 7-11s than anyone, they own it now.

Old 01-19-2024, 08:34 AM

674 posts, read 336,006 times
"Value" meals upsized to large are around $12 at most fast food chains around here (Wendy's, Whataburger, McDonald's, etc.)

I'm in Texas where the minimum wage is still $7.25/hr.

I blame corporate greed.

Old 01-19-2024, 08:42 AM

5,949 posts, read 2,767,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I didn't know about the on-line thing.

I suspect the mafia is not leaving a paper trail when they buy large amounts.

$50/carton profit makes for a 3k per case profit.

3 cases a week = 450k+ a year

Google says NYC has about 50% illegal cigs. given they have a city tax on top of the 5.35 state tax.
In the Clown World that we've constructed over the last decade or so, we've made it OK in society to smoke MJ while demonizing tobacco, despite the fact that studies have shown that the damage done to MJ smokers is far greater than tobacco smokers because they inhale deeper and hold it longer in their lungs. Furthermore, as MJ is studied more and more, we're seeing a huge uptick in mental illness caused by THC. The stuff sold today is highly concentrated and for many, psychological damage to the brain occurs.

Today, people are high at work, all day, everyday. It's having a HUGE negative impact on society. We'll learn more and more as time goes on, but I could see some states beginning to walk back some of their "recreational use" laws, adding more limitations and restrictions on the substance.

Dr. Drew warns over marijuana studies revealing 'extremely worrisome' data

Old 01-19-2024, 08:56 AM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It actually used to be decent food for low prices.
Over the years the quality has gone down while the price has gone up.

Now the prices are comparable to sit down restaurant lunch prices, at least in my community.
Agreed, it's the same here.

Though sit down prices have gone way up here too. Our go-to are splitting a supermarket deli sandwich (8.99) or TJs has a lot of salads and sandwiches average 4.99 each.

If we do a sit down we either try and split something (it's always SO much food), or buy something that will still be good if we take home half. We can get a poke bowl for around 15, and it is tons healthier.

We DID try a fast food item (once in two years) and honestly it tasted both really good and really gross, but we both felt a little sick afterwards.

I don't know if our tastes have just changed that much, or if fast food is just worse than I remember in my 20s.

Plus, we are at an age where we have to consider WHAT we are shoving in our mouths, otherwise the labs and the scale will start looking bad.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies