Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 03:57 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Did he really say "white allies"? lol Tell me you're a weenie without telling me you're a weenie.

Yeah someone who calls themselves that is gonna be perpetually offended.
I did! Allies to any challenged community are beneficial and appreciated. It's unfortunate that you don't agree.

Last edited by FindingZen; 02-14-2024 at 04:13 PM..

Old 02-14-2024, 04:06 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
Indeed...especially when it is baked into lyrics that are no longer sung.
I'm so used to hearing all the stanzas of Lift Every Voice and Sing it would seem weird to just hear the first verse for time critical events like the Super Bowl pre game festivities

Old 02-14-2024, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
We have ONLY ONE National Anthem that I will stand for and respect.

Being half Black and identifying as Black, I will not stand for any Black anthem since I am an American first.
That is your right; I'd predict that the majority of Black Americans would feel different.

Quote:
So, if we now have a Black “National” anthem, I guess the Hispanics, Asians and the LGBTXyz123 crowd will want their own “National” anthems as well. Followed by some crazy legal action that you can be fined and/or arrested if you do not stand?
Anecdotally speaking, I believe some Latinos in the stands sing the national anthem of their heritage during soccer and baseball games, although not necessarily at the MLS or MLB levels.

I don't believe Asian/Pacific Islander-Americans are predominant enough in any major league sport to desire some sort of anthem.

I joked in another thread that one can probably hear all sorts of dance anthems every weekend at your local gay club(s)...but gay and bi male athletes in major league sports still don't usually come out until their careers are over due to the continuing environment. Gay and bi females seem to feel relatively more comfortable about it, especially in the WNBA.

Quote:
Keep it simple… ONE National anthem for ONE people.
You are free to stand up for whichever anthem - or no anthem - that you choose. That's at least one thing that makes America great.

Quote:
If you do not love the United States and think it’s a racist country, I’m sure Russia, China, Iran, Somalia and North Korea have means for you to immigrate over there!
Ahh...the old "love it or leave it" defense! I'm not surprised to see it, only surprised to see it come from the fingers of a Black man. At least we agree that Russia is not a desirable place to be, a view that somehow appears to be a minority view on this sub-forum.

Old 02-14-2024, 05:40 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
For you, perhaps...but I'd wager the majority of African-Americans are happy to hear the song on any appropriate occasion...especially one where most of the competing athletes are Black.
I'd wager most don't mind but don't really care.

Quote:
Most African-Americans today are not Black Nationalists. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.
The point is the the song was neither intended to be divisive, nor recognized as divisive.

Old 02-14-2024, 06:25 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I'm a few years younger than your father and the song itself was the one of the anthems of the Civil Rights fight and we did learn it in those days as Negro History Week became Black History month. Today it survives normally during the MLK Day commemorations.

And the with grandchild generation of Black athletes asking for it during big events since those professional leagues tend to have a much higher percentage of African American athletes than 13%
I could see that. Alot of these songs came about during the pre-Civil Rights era and rose to prominence during that era.

I haven't heard any Black MLB players mention "Lift Every Voice And Sing". This seems to be mostly within the NFL. Fewer and fewer Black Americans are going into Major League Baseball (though I've been seeing many Black Americans baseball players turn up in Australia and Mexico).

Old 02-14-2024, 06:38 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
I think somewhere upthread, I posted a link to the entire original song. The offensive and currently unsung lyrics can be found there. (Or you can use your preferred search engine to find it.)
I used my preferred search engine and found the lyrics to our national anthem. Still not seeing anything divisive or racist in them. To be fair, I also checked out the lyrics of "Lift Every Voice and Sing," and I don't see anything divisive or racist in them either. As I've said before, my beef with "Lift Every Voice and Sing" has nothing to do with the song itself.

Old 02-15-2024, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
I guess some of the black race wants to go back to the days when they couldn't drink from the same water fountains as whites, walk on the opposite side of the street as the white race, sit in a separate part of the bus than whites, etc. Some people in the black race don't want to be united with the rest of Americans but we shouldn't cater to all their wants. I would hope that over half of the black race are very happy being Americans and aren't happy with the division we are seeing in our country.
To the contrary, one could say the opposite is true. To elaborate, however, would take us way off-topic.

Old 02-15-2024, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I used my preferred search engine and found the lyrics to our national anthem. Still not seeing anything divisive or racist in them. To be fair, I also checked out the lyrics of "Lift Every Voice and Sing," and I don't see anything divisive or racist in them either. As I've said before, my beef with "Lift Every Voice and Sing" has nothing to do with the song itself.
I can’t believe you missed the offensive lyrics in the former…but good to know that you can reassure most here that there is nothing controversial in the latter.

Old 02-15-2024, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
News flash… every media article is calling it the black national anthem

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/super-bow...-bowl/3450884/

As brought up before, there is no hispanic national anthem played at the Super Bowl. There are twice as many hispanic citizens as there are black citizens. And surely Hispanic communities are unhappy about the Spanish American war or the Mexican American war in the mid 1800’s. American indians have a basis for wanting an “anthem” played too.
Actually it’s “only” 50% more. (19 vs 13%)

Also, there are relatively few Latino players and coaches on NFL teams. On a related note, there is an organization called Brown Lives Matter whose goals are similar to Black Lives Matter in seeking an end to police brutality.

Old 02-15-2024, 04:29 AM

3,836 posts, read 1,786,202 times
Quote:

If we were to switch anthems sang at football games then I'd prefer "America The Beautiful", especially if they sang it in this style:
Ray Charles sings with such soul when singing 'America The Beautiful'. Thanks for sharing the clip.

I think it's okay to sing a hymn, but not call it a divisive name like black national anthem. We have one national anthem, if you're American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.