Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 10:22 AM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times

Advertisements

Just about sums up the entitlement of people today. Happily spend student loan money on extraneous non-school things, then cry up a storm when you are told to pay it back.

I hope these people get their credit and finances ruined if they refuse to pay their student loans.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/pers...3f41e55a&ei=14

Quote:
One borrower, Richelle Brooks, a 36-year-old resident of Los Angeles, has been part of a growing movement protesting the student loan system. Having graduated with a doctorate in education in 2018, she strategically enrolled in more schooling to freeze her loan payments during a financially challenging period.

Brooks found inspiration in the Debt Collective’s book, “Can’t Pay, Won’t Pay: The Case for Economic Disobedience and Debt Abolition,” leading her to join a debt strike.

This movement aims to unite borrowers in not paying their student loans, drawing attention to the challenges faced by borrowers and advocating for mass debt cancellation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 10:31 AM

43,142 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Biden is forgiving batches of loans on a weekly basis it seems.

If I had a loan I wouldn't pay it either. I'd just wait for my turn to have the loan go *poof*

Old 01-31-2024, 01:14 PM

4,395 posts, read 1,704,176 times
She has a doctorate in Education… work for 10 years, and the rest will be forgiven.

Old 01-31-2024, 01:23 PM

What it comes down to though....the debt is transferred from the individual to the taxpayers.
It's not "virtual money".

Old 01-31-2024, 01:32 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,647,840 times
This is what happens when we keep giving in to the whiners. They don't swoon in gratitude and promise to do better next time. They get entitled and demand more. Always more. We should make an example of the "Can't Pay, Won't Pay" Education Doctor and those like her, and force them to either pay up or receive punishment.

Old 01-31-2024, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
This is what happens when we keep giving in to the whiners. They don't swoon in gratitude and promise to do better next time. They get entitled and demand more. Always more. We should make an example of the "Can't Pay, Won't Pay" Education Doctor and those like her, and force them to either pay up or receive punishment.
Someone once said along these lines ....

"When the populace finds out they can vote themselves money....."

Old 01-31-2024, 02:20 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,634,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Someone once said along these lines ....

"When the populace finds out they can vote themselves money....."
a few have something along those lines:
Quote:
"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship." - Alexander Fraser Tytler
Quote:
"What is supposed to happen in a democracy is that each sovereign citizen will always vote in the public interest for the safety and welfare of all. But what does happen is that he votes his own self-interest as he sees it… which for the majority translates as ‘Bread and Circuses.’

‘Bread and Circuses’ is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure. Democracy often works beautifully at first. But once a state extends the franchise to every warm body, be he producer or parasite, that day marks the beginning of the end of the state. For when the plebs discover that they can vote themselves bread and circuses without limit and that the productive members of the body politic cannot stop them, they will do so, until the state bleeds to death, or in its weakened condition the state succumbs to an invader—the barbarians enter Rome.” - Robert Heinlein
Quote:
" But what of the Roman

Mob? They follow Fortune, as always, and hate whoever she

Condemns. If Nortia, as the Etruscans called her, had favoured

Etruscan Sejanus; if the old Emperor had been surreptitiously

Smothered; that same crowd in a moment would have hailed

Their new Augustus. They shed their sense of responsibility

Long ago, when they lost their votes, and the bribes; the mob

That used to grant power, high office, the legions, everything,

Curtails its desires, and reveals its anxiety for two things only,

Bread and circuses." - Juvenal, "Satire X"
Pretty old concept actually, hence my belief that our society, like so many before it, is in an unrecoverable decline based on crossing one of human nature's event horizons.

Old 01-31-2024, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
a few have something along those lines:

Pretty old concept actually, hence my belief that our society, like so many before it, is in an unrecoverable decline based on crossing one of human nature's event horizons.
Like watching a snowball turn into an avalanche.
You can only sit by and watch it happen.

The majority like what is happening and want more.

Old 01-31-2024, 02:23 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,634,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Like watching a snowball turn into an avalanche.
You can only sit by and watch it happen.

The majority like what is happening and want more.
And this exact conversation between you and I, by my best guess, has been had countless times in countless places since the dawn of civilization.

Old 01-31-2024, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
And this exact conversation between you and I, by my best guess, has been had countless times in countless places since the dawn of civilization.
Found this quote on the internet:

“Those who don’t study history are doomed to repeat it. Yet those who do study history are doomed to stand by helplessly while everyone else repeats it.”
Anonymous 2012
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies