Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 10:12 PM

4,134 posts, read 2,836,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
No, it's about Boeing having changed from a culture of quality to one of shareholder value after the McDonnell Douglas merger. Stock buybacks rather than investment in R&D. Cutting corners everywhere. Subcontractors subcontracting. Employees saying they wouldn't ride on the planes they're building. Boeing inspecting itself. John Oliver did a great piece on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8oCilY4szc
Good video, thanks for sharing. It pops a hole in the “Minorities! Women! REEEE!!!!” narrative.

Old 03-09-2024, 11:01 PM

4,416 posts, read 5,148,127 times
Something happens to a plane, so let’s blame blacks and women now?

Most of these STEM type jobs have grueling schooling with minimum 80% pass rates. I personally went through one of the toughest ones where 50% of the class was Asian and about 25% were white. Two smartest were black. One got blown to bits in Afghanistan.

Some of you have zero idea what your talking about…

Old 03-09-2024, 11:15 PM

15,823 posts, read 6,532,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
No, it's about Boeing having changed from a culture of quality to one of shareholder value after the McDonnell Douglas merger. Stock buybacks rather than investment in R&D. Cutting corners everywhere. Subcontractors subcontracting. Employees saying they wouldn't ride on the planes they're building. Boeing inspecting itself. John Oliver did a great piece on it.
You're spot on. Blaming DEI is misguided, at least in this instance. The decline began with the McD merger and the corporate policies of McNearney.

Old 03-10-2024, 12:08 AM

30,351 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...ngeles-airport

This is now the second issue involving United Airlines planes in two days. And within the month Boeing had the engine on fire in Miami and the door blow off on the Alaska Airlines flight. I wonder how many of these flight crews, mechanics and engineers are being hired based on their race, gender and sexual orientation instead of qualifications??? United is especially proud of DEI and wokeness saying half of their pilots must be black or female within the next 5 years. We are already seeing the results.

Its one thing to hire an affirmative action cashier, totally different for a pilot, aircraft mechanic, doctor, or defense secretary. I hate this, especially being a minority myself, but I would feel more comfortable on a plane flown by a white or Asian male pilot same with being in the hospital with doctors because at least I know they got the job based on their qualifications.
Yep, now that DEI tribalism has supplanted meritocracy, we're going to see a downgrade in safety and expertise in many areas.

Old 03-10-2024, 12:10 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,219,300 times
Unfortunately all the major airlines have some kind of DEI program/policy. It is like the latest virtue signaling trend and the pressure to follow is too strong.

Old 03-10-2024, 12:37 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I swear I don't know why more older black and Latino professionals have not protested against DEI. I know that some have, but I think many more of them should -- even though that would probably take quite a bit of courage.
There is no way to protest against DEI in many workplaces.

Only one opinion on the matter is allowed, and that is full acceptance.

If you try to go against DEI, then your employer will simply find an excuse to terminate your employment.

Old 03-10-2024, 12:46 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,219,300 times
Just like everything the Left initiates, e.g. defund the police, open borders, bail reform, no prosecution of theft under $____, etc., we just have to find out the hard way that it will only lead to failure before they will quietly move away from it or in many cases, claim they were never for it.

Old 03-10-2024, 05:13 AM

4,898 posts, read 2,053,813 times
American corporations better realize that when their BS DEI starts to get people killed, they, not the idiots they hired, will be blamed.

As for Boeing, they better wake the freak up, like yesterday, and get their QC situation under control. If they’re outsourcing critical component to the lowest overseas bidder, than I hope this once great American corporation fades away and is only a memory of their once great, but now, long gone glory days of the B-17s, B-29s, B-52s, and their once king of the skies 747s are clearly over. Now, flying in a Boeing aircraft is no more safer than flying in a Chinese commercial airliner AND that is a pretty shaky experience!!

I guess it’s only a matter of time before people start to refuse to fly in a Boeing aircraft, that is being flown by some less qualified DEI hire.

Old 03-10-2024, 05:22 AM

4,850 posts, read 2,668,494 times
tires and doors falling off in flight are acceptable..

wings falling off in flight are not..especially with 2 or 300 people on board..

it will take that to happen before any real changes are made in safety standards..

money and greed always wins....until it doesn't because of itself..

Old 03-10-2024, 06:22 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,233,652 times
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
If that were true (and I'm not arguing that it's not) than these corporations would be doing everything possible to clean up their act and improve their nosediving reputations. What paying customer wants to ride around in aircraft that have wheels and doors falling off mid flight????
You are describing a time long gone. Look around you and you will see plenty of examples (cars, appliances, consumer products) of products and companies that are willing to churn out lower quality products for increased profit. Even our hospital systems are not above risking poor outcomes and death to improve profits and are more than willing to cut corners to make that happen or reduce staff to dangerous levels.

Boeing has the US by the balls given how few aircraft makers we have. Boeing is basically a too big to fail company for the US government so Boeing has been allowed to cut corners and do self inspections because their one of very few aircraft makers for the US military and private plane market in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies