Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 08:36 AM

21,952 posts, read 9,532,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I don't know about "half", but I do know of a fair number of grandparents who are sole provides for, and raising, their grandchildren. I don't ask reasons; feel it too personal of a question.
The reason is their kids are drug addicted. I know at least two of these families and I live in a high end neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2024, 08:39 AM

36,577 posts, read 30,907,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I was alarmed when I read the title of this thread until I actually read the article, and the average age of the adults being helped is 22, which is still fairly young. If half of all adults regardless of age were still being helped, I would say that truly would be alarming!
If the consensus is that humans' brains dont fully develop until they are 25, is it any wonder? It been just a little over 50 years since the age of majority was 21.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:42 AM

7,435 posts, read 3,848,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The SAT has been recalibrated at least three times due to falling scores and that just masks the failure of k-12 education.
The reading level of US adults is at a 6th grade level now
It's 7th-8th grade, but that's not a lot better.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:42 AM

89,067 posts, read 44,895,573 times
Quote:
1980 - you did not need any degree

K-12 education was much more rigorous back then
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Really? I didn't know that.

I thought K-12 education was much more lax in the 1970s.

But things were obviously very different demographically.
Quote:
The SAT has been recalibrated at least three times due to falling scores and that just masks the failure of k-12 education.
True.
Quote:
The reading level of US adults is at a 6th grade level now
Actually, most American adults (54%) can only read at the 5th grade level or below:

Low Literacy Levels Among U.S. Adults Costing The Economy $2.2 Trillion A Year

Old 03-13-2024, 08:44 AM

36,577 posts, read 30,907,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I don't know about "half", but I do know of a fair number of grandparents who are sole provides for, and raising, their grandchildren. I don't ask reasons; feel it too personal of a question.
It is quite common and I am one of them.
One reason is because they love them and want them to be safe and raised in a stable, loving, supportive environment that their parents cant or wont provide.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:46 AM

43,184 posts, read 18,329,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
It's 7th-8th grade, but that's not a lot better.

2022 research - more than 50% of Americans read below 6th grade

https://www.apmresearchlab.org/10x-adult-literacy

Old 03-13-2024, 08:49 AM

5,587 posts, read 6,519,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Rather support my adult child and have him living at home being dependent on me? I would have tossed him to the curb, but then I raised him to be independent, so he put himself through college while being enlisted in the Army Reserve, and then became active duty when he graduated in 3 years by going to school year round. Now, a Colonel with nearly 30 years in the military. Raise your children right for best results, as putting in the work when they are young has many benefits.

I was taught a good work ethic. You take any job to support yourself, and you realize that you can't afford the things and have the salary of someone that has been working at the job for 30 years!

At some points the parents will not be there. And, I know that it isn't just younger people that move home or are dependent on their parents who I actually see going back to work to help support their dead beat kids!

Would I be bribed if I tossed my son to the curb that it would cost the relationship? You know, that would never have been an issue, as he knew better.
Exactly right! I raised my daughter to be a strong, independent female by TELLING her what was expected of her. You WILL go to college after HS, you WILL have a career to support yourself rather than be dependant on a man, WE (her father and I) will NOT be raising a child out of wedlock, WHAT do you want to be when you are grown? When all the junk mail started coming in close to her college graduation, of which she had decided on her career path, and was including military information saying 4 years would be worth 75% (or 75 thousand dollars, I forget which) of paying toward her Masters Degree, she joined a branch of the service where she went in as an officer BECAUSE of her degree. She now has 2 Masters degrees in her chosen profession.

Many parents just let their kids coast in life instead of helping them decide a path for adulthood. Nobody helped me or my husband, and we made it.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:58 AM

7,011 posts, read 2,719,897 times
Quote:
How can you leave home at 17 when you’re barely out of high school at that age?

I never felt that was normal, even decades ago.
Going to college is "leaving home" if you live on campus.

Old 03-13-2024, 09:23 AM

3,279 posts, read 3,939,968 times
Ha ha, you boomers make me laugh.

My 60 year old idiot brother never worked a day in his life, and still lives in the house my parents left him (they're both dead now).

At least I think he does. I haven't talked to that loser in years

Old 03-13-2024, 09:24 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,592,374 times
Quote:
How can you leave home at 17 when you’re barely out of high school at that age?

I never felt that was normal, even decades ago.
{shrug} started working part time my senior year. After graduation, found a full time job. First apartment was $90 a month - 2 bed, 1 bath in a nice suburb.

It was doable if you had the will to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies