Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 02:16 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,521,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I've always wondered why people did this. There's a giant line of cars behind a slow moving vehicle and the vehicle immediately behind the slow vehicle pulls out to pass at a speed marginally faster, exposing themselves to oncoming traffic for an unnecessary longer amount of time and preventing anyone else from executing the pass. This behavior is simultaneously suicidal, places ongoing traffic in a very dangerous situation, and is stunningly inconsiderate of the other cars stuck behind the slow vehicle. Pretty much the epitome of selfish behavior. Please stop.
In some parts of the country where there are only 2 lane roads (one for each direction) for miles and miles, you will need to pass by going into oncoming traffic or lose your mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2024, 02:29 PM

25,962 posts, read 18,956,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I've always wondered why people did this. There's a giant line of cars behind a slow moving vehicle and the vehicle immediately behind the slow vehicle pulls out to pass at a speed marginally faster, exposing themselves to oncoming traffic for an unnecessary longer amount of time and preventing anyone else from executing the pass. This behavior is simultaneously suicidal, places ongoing traffic in a very dangerous situation, and is stunningly inconsiderate of the other cars stuck behind the slow vehicle. Pretty much the epitome of selfish behavior. Please stop.
My pet peeve for the ultimate inconsiderate behavior is when the three lead cars at a red light leave like three car lengths between each of them. Then when the light turns green, those first three cars (which were taking up about 9 car lengths) make it through the light before it goes red, but leave everyone else behind them screwed. Totally selfish. Cue up at the red light, folks! You don't need to leave three car lengths in front of you when you are sitting still at a red light. That's stupid and selfish.

Old 03-19-2024, 02:54 PM

7,989 posts, read 3,519,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
In some parts of the country where there are only 2 lane roads (one for each direction) for miles and miles, you will need to pass by going into oncoming traffic or lose your mind.
I think he meant passing them slowly. When you pass someone on that type of road do it as fast as you can to minimize the time you're in the lane exposed to oncoming traffic.

If you have nothing but open space in front of you and look behind you at a group of 5-10 cars all bunched up on each others' bumpers trying to use their psychic powers to get you to press down on the gas pedal a little, do everyone a favor and pull over for a minute. You're obviously in no hurry.

Old 03-19-2024, 03:08 PM

38,070 posts, read 22,230,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
This bill was introduced back in January it would require all cars built after 2027 to limit the speed to 10 mph over the limit. I know the fed is looking into kill switch technology that will not allow you to start the vehicle if it detects alcohol in the breath of the driver. The kill switch would also be used by police to stop cars that refuse to pull over. If California does pass this law likely the technology will get put in all cars like emission standards. This would allow other states to also easily adopt the same laws. Reminds me of the 1980's when cars were required to have speedometers that went no higher then 85 mph.

European union also moving in this direction will it make everyone safer?

https://ktla.com/news/california/new...er-technology/
Why dance around this. We know what the objective on the left is, they want to have control over how, when or if we can drive our cars.

If the dems had their way - You buy a car, it will have a command control key code. The state and federal government receive the key code, so they know where you drive to, how fast you go, who much energy you use, which routes you take, how long you linger at any location, and they will have all the camera video/audio data inside and outside of your car. With he key code the gov't can shut off your car, and probably remote drive it too.

You know, for safety's sake and all that.

Old 03-19-2024, 03:09 PM

50,479 posts, read 47,238,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
I think he meant passing them slowly. When you pass someone on that type of road do it as fast as you can to minimize the time you're in the lane exposed to oncoming traffic.

If you have nothing but open space in front of you and look behind you at a group of 5-10 cars all bunched up on each others' bumpers trying to use their psychic powers to get you to press down on the gas pedal a little, do everyone a favor and pull over for a minute. You're obviously in no hurry.
Many stretches of roads have nothing but rock wall or ditch so pulling over for miles isn't an option. Many have cutouts they refuse to use.

Old 03-19-2024, 03:11 PM

7,529 posts, read 3,936,332 times
I don't care as long as I have a way to play my Alphaville cassettes.

Old 03-19-2024, 03:11 PM

51,011 posts, read 36,695,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
It is supposed to be here as well. But NOBODY seems to understand that, including 18-wheeler truckdrivers. They just randomly pick one of the three lanes on the freeway and cruise at whatever speed they like. In many cases, people coming onto the freeway from onramps dart immediately over to the left lane (I have no idea what their reasoning is) when they are not up to freeway speeds. Which brings up another point: very few around here understand that a freeway onramp is for you to get up to freeway speed. They typical motorist goes about 40 on the ramp until actually getting on the freeway and THEN speeds up... causing those on the freeway to have to slow down to let them in.

All of the above drives me insane. Follow the rules, it makes everyone's experience more pleasant. I'm not a crazy driver. I don't habitually speed--usually drive the speed limit up to 5 over). But sometimes people's driving habits make me want to be a crazy driver and speed. We seem to have two types of drivers around here: those who want to go 20 mph under the speed limit and those who want to go 20 mph over the speed limit. Why can't anyone center their speeds AROUD the speed limit??? (arggghhhh... now I'm in a bad mood just thinking about it )

Yes, my bf is one who automatically gets in the left lane even when he's not going fast. I bite my tongue for a minute or 2 than I can't help it, and shout "Why are you in this lane???"

Here the middle lane has somehow become the new slow lane for some reason. Even on days when I'm early and not in a hurry, and decide I'm just going to go the speed limit in the right lane, I end up behind people going 5 under, then I get in the next lane to pass, and get back over, and it happens again, and then I just give up and join the speeders in the other lanes.

What makes me nuts on my 2 lane road commute, are people who brake for every curve, even though all of them are "soft curves" that don't even require slowing down.

Old 03-19-2024, 03:13 PM

Quote:
My pet peeve for the ultimate inconsiderate behavior is when the three lead cars at a red light leave like three car lengths between each of them. Then when the light turns green, those first three cars (which were taking up about 9 car lengths) make it through the light before it goes red, but leave everyone else behind them screwed. Totally selfish. Cue up at the red light, folks! You don't need to leave three car lengths in front of you when you are sitting still at a red light. That's stupid and selfish.
You must live in my city. Three cars will take up ten car lengths. Then they leave late after the left turn arrow turns green, so only three cars are lucky to make the turn before it turns red. I think they know that they stopped way too far back from the car in front of them, because during the entire time the light is red, these morons keep creeping forward little by little.

Old 03-19-2024, 03:44 PM

25,962 posts, read 18,956,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, my bf is one who automatically gets in the left lane even when he's not going fast. I bite my tongue for a minute or 2 than I can't help it, and shout "Why are you in this lane???"
Does he give an answer? Honestly, I'd just like to know what these folks are thinking when they do that. It's a total mystery to me.

Quote:
Here the middle lane has somehow become the new slow lane for some reason. Even on days when I'm early and not in a hurry, and decide I'm just going to go the speed limit in the right lane, I end up behind people going 5 under, then I get in the next lane to pass, and get back over, and it happens again, and then I just give up and join the speeders in the other lanes.
Around this area, because everyone likes to dart to the inside lanes, the right lane is often the fastest lane (other than at onramps). So on the way to work in the mornings I find that if I just stay in the right lane, it's almost totally clear to cruise right on to work.

Quote:
What makes me nuts on my 2 lane road commute, are people who brake for every curve, even though all of them are "soft curves" that don't even require slowing down.
Yep. That's another one. In their heads, they are going around a hairpin curve. Some even do this if there is the slightest little bend in the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You must live in my city. Three cars will take up ten car lengths. Then they leave late after the left turn arrow turns green, so only three cars are lucky to make the turn before it turns red. I think they know that they stopped way too far back from the car in front of them, because during the entire time the light is red, these morons keep creeping forward little by little.
Yep. Makes zero sense to me. I'm the kind of person that if something makes sense as to why somebody is doing it, even if it's not the greatest reason, at least they are thinking, so I give them some slack. But what you mention here has zero logical reason and so it must just be the driver trying to be an ass. And THAT is what annoys me to no end. Purposely being a jackass (without having any reason for doing so).

Old 03-19-2024, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Yep. Makes zero sense to me. I'm the kind of person that if something makes sense as to why somebody is doing it, even if it's not the greatest reason, at least they are thinking, so I give them some slack. But what you mention here has zero logical reason and so it must just be the driver trying to be an ass. And THAT is what annoys me to no end. Purposely being a jackass (without having any reason for doing so).
I don't think they do that stuff out of spite. I get the whole idea at a red light, of leaving space between you and the car in front of you, in case you are rear ended. But these fools just leave twenty or thirty feet between them cuz they are inconsiderate, non-thinkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies