Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 07:13 AM

5,150 posts, read 3,758,340 times

Advertisements

I just went through this with All State. When I got their proposal for a car insurance renewal I decided to not renew but to go with another carrier. Simple right? Nope. I called to tell them I wasn't going to renew the idiot on the other end cancelled my current policy and it took me 3 phone calls to get the policy reinstated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2024, 07:16 AM

8,418 posts, read 4,575,875 times
I've noticed a recent trend where entire offices go to lunch and shut down for 2 hours. In my working days we staggered lunch breaks so we always had someone covering the phone. When has this become acceptable?

Doctors' offices are the worst. Once I was waiting for my doctor and it got to be about noon. I was getting hungry and one of the gals showed up with 4 pizza's. The office shut down and everyone chowed down. I walked into the break room and asked if I could go eat and come back. They said if I did that they would take me off the schedule and charge me $25 for a no show. I walked up and took a slice of pizza and went back to the waiting room and watched some stupid show on TV.

Old 03-19-2024, 07:24 AM

41,956 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
What about emergencies where we NEED help fast? My neighbor's house burned for over 20 minutes before the fire engines arrived. Fire station is about 1/5 mile away.
I don't think "customer service" and 911 are quite the same thing. You're comparing apples to oranges.

As for why a fire company would take 20 minutes to arrive: Is it a volunteer fire department? Did you call the fire department and ask them why? Did you bring the issue before the fire department's supervisors?

Old 03-19-2024, 07:25 AM

4,553 posts, read 3,752,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
My problem isn't the accent, it's that seemingly Indian people have no sense of humor. I connect with people when humor is used to solve a problem. Zero sense of humor.

LOL, yeah so I actually know an Indian friend in the area whose family is in India at these types of jobs - his family member is employed by IBM in India and they get strict instructions by American trainers about how to pronounce words, what stupid script to read off and to not make jokes. They are allowed to make "small talk" only if its limited to 10 seconds or less during the call. But IBM says "NO use of humor" to American callers. It's ridiculous, the rules and all of the stuff these American companies go through to save money.

We would rather hire people who live in America but then the companies argue with you by saying, "Well, I thought you wanted cheaper prices for our products?"

Old 03-19-2024, 07:39 AM

8,418 posts, read 4,575,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
LOL, yeah so I actually know an Indian friend in the area whose family is in India at these types of jobs - his family member is employed by IBM in India and they get strict instructions by American trainers about how to pronounce words, what stupid script to read off and to not make jokes. They are allowed to make "small talk" only if its limited to 10 seconds or less during the call. But IBM says "NO use of humor" to American callers. It's ridiculous, the rules and all of the stuff these American companies go through to save money.

We would rather hire people who live in America but then the companies argue with you by saying, "Well, I thought you wanted cheaper prices for our products?"

That's interesting. They would do so much better if they were allowed to laugh a little. I have never even gotten 10 seconds of humor. Thanks for the input.

Old 03-19-2024, 08:42 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I just went through this with All State. When I got their proposal for a car insurance renewal I decided to not renew but to go with another carrier. Simple right? Nope. I called to tell them I wasn't going to renew the idiot on the other end cancelled my current policy and it took me 3 phone calls to get the policy reinstated.
DH went through that yesterday. Took 2 days to cancel existing home and auto insurance. The existing agent renewed our policy and said the house had the original roof put on in 1998. Several others did it right saving us $2000 a year.

As much as I hate Amazon, if they don’t have it, I don’t buy it. Costco, Amazon, Land’s End and Chewy.com get all my shopping money. They know what customer service means. So does HEB for groceries.

Old 03-19-2024, 11:03 AM

50,772 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
funny you should post this......

I just went through this exact thing with Amazon chat......could not make the bot understand that the post office did not deliver and returned it already....all I need is a refund

I had that issue when I bought sneakers, 9 1/2 wide, and was sent regular 9 1/2. The bot only offered an exchange for the exact same item, and if I wanted to return them I was going to have to pay $6.99 for return shipping. I did get an American, but she wasn't at all helpful. Then I asked for a supervisor and she kept insisting "They are going to tell you the same things I am telling you" but I kept badgering until she did. The supervisor fixed it, but it was frustrating.

But not nearly as frustrating as calling Xfinity. They've made it near-impossible to get past the bot and get to a person. I would take any person, because the bot is worthless. I end up screaming into the phone "Agent!!! Representative!!!!" to no avail.

Old 03-19-2024, 11:21 AM

5,150 posts, read 3,758,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
DH went through that yesterday. Took 2 days to cancel existing home and auto insurance. The existing agent renewed our policy and said the house had the original roof put on in 1998. Several others did it right saving us $2000 a year.

As much as I hate Amazon, if they don’t have it, I don’t buy it. Costco, Amazon, Land’s End and Chewy.com get all my shopping money. They know what customer service means. So does HEB for groceries.
Chewy is incredible. They must have a depot very close to my house. Most deliveries next day never more than 2 days.

Old 03-19-2024, 11:26 AM

12,971 posts, read 9,495,132 times
It's true that some customer service is handled overseas and their English is hard to understand. But in the end, they've always been helpful in my experience.

One experience in particular that I've had over the last couple of weeks I'll mention. We ordered a new US flag from Allegiance Flag Company, a small business that's veteran-owned. All their flags are made in the US and are of exceptional quality.

I ordered one for the front of my house, but it was mis-delivered by the US post office. I got in touch with them via email, and they immediately express-shipped me a replacement at no additional charge. Their customer service representative was exceptionally helpful and friendly. In the end, my original order showed up a couple of weeks later - it had been delivered to a neighbors' house by mistake. I shipped it back to Allegiance, and yesterday I got an email refunding me for return postage, and even adding a 10% discount to my account. Allegiance is a fabulous and friendly company that goes above and beyond expectations.

Old 03-19-2024, 12:09 PM

23,976 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Chewy is incredible. They must have a depot very close to my house. Most deliveries next day never more than 2 days.
I turned into a crazed cat women who feds and gets fixed all the feral cat who show up so my Chewy tab runs a couple hundred a month. They once sent the wrong food. I inquired how to return it. They told me to give it to a rescue. And sent the right food overnight. That good service was not because I’m a good costumer, either.

My only issue is FedEx really dents the cans to the point the food is released.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies