Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2024, 11:35 AM

43,093 posts, read 18,259,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Because it was a search warrant for his property (i.e. at his home), not an arrest warrant.
They also raided Adams in NYC and some of his administration with search warrants for property at their homes.

They didn't go in there with guns blaring or when it was dark.

Favors for some and death for others ?

Old 03-23-2024, 11:39 AM

18,082 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
They also raided Adams in NYC and some of his administration with search warrants for property at their homes.

If you're the feds, and you have a search warrant to find and confiscate allegedly illegal weapons, where do you go? To someone's office, where those weapons aren't, or do you go to the property where you have info the weapons are kept? Do you preannounce you're coming to someone who has stockpiled numerous firearms and ammunition and who might, just might, be a danger, if/when confronted?

Did this agency follow their normal protocol in executing this warrant? If no, what parts of their protocol did they break?

Old 03-23-2024, 11:46 AM

1,021 posts, read 528,596 times
Quote:
Because it was a search warrant for his property (i.e. at his home), not an arrest warrant.
If the ATF determines he is a risk of any sort, he can be detained anywhere they want to detain him safely with diminished risk to the public and officers, and then execute the search warrant on his home. The search can be timed to happen seconds after he is known to be safely detained. LE perform timed multi point detention/raids (mostly for drugs) like this all the time.

The ATF likely underestimated his response to their approach to his house (and all the weapons and ammo he had in there).

Old 03-23-2024, 11:57 AM

9,131 posts, read 6,180,105 times
Quote:
If you're the feds, and you have a search warrant to find and confiscate allegedly illegal weapons, where do you go? To someone's office, where those weapons aren't, or do you go to the property where you have info the weapons are kept? Do you preannounce you're coming to someone who has stockpiled numerous firearms and ammunition and who might, just might, be a danger, if/when confronted?

Did this agency follow their normal protocol in executing this warrant? If no, what parts of their protocol did they break?

They could have waited until he left his house and was at work. No confrontation.

And no one let them in, they busted in themselves - could have done the same with no one in the house.

Old 03-23-2024, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
They could have waited until he left his house and was at work. No confrontation.

And no one let them in, they busted in themselves - could have done the same with no one in the house.
I think it's important to know what the ATF protocol is, that's what they have to follow. Others' opinions may be interesting, but they have no relevance.

Old 03-23-2024, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Guy View Post
If the ATF determines he is a risk of any sort, he can be detained anywhere they want to detain him safely with diminished risk to the public and officers, and then execute the search warrant on his home. The search can be timed to happen seconds after he is known to be safely detained. LE perform timed multi point detention/raids (mostly for drugs) like this all the time.

The ATF likely underestimated his response to their approach to his house (and all the weapons and ammo he had in there).
I think this is a situation like many, where Interweb posters don't know what ATF determined, what info they had, don't know what their protocol is, don't know if protocol was followed, etc. I certainly don't know, and neither does anyone else here.

Old 03-23-2024, 12:32 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post

If you were present please elaborate. Only thing you see on the videos are the property custodians/ agents coming in to collect the items or property. I guarantee there was a police knock with armed folks earlier that day. Anyone can start shooting for any reason, so you go prepared. It’s standard.

Old 03-23-2024, 12:33 PM

5,987 posts, read 3,727,800 times
Quote:
I think it's important to know what the ATF protocol is, that's what they have to follow. Others' opinions may be interesting, but they have no relevance.
If the "protocol" is unfairly dangerous to the person being served or other members of the public, does that make it OK? Just because the Feds normally do something a certain way doesn't necessarily make it right. The Feds' procedures should ALWAYS be under review to see if their goals can be accomplished in a safer manner for all involved while still preserving evidence for possible trial usage.

I don't think it likely that the guy was going to be able to flush the guns down the toilet. Nor would it make any sense for the guy to attempt to destroy any paper documents since that's what the Feds' complaint was to begin with... that he wasn't properly documenting his sales activity as required by law.

Old 03-23-2024, 12:35 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
I think this is a situation like many, where Interweb posters don't know what ATF determined, what info they had, don't know what their protocol is, don't know if protocol was followed, etc. I certainly don't know, and neither does anyone else here.
Protocols are pretty consistent across agencies and other police departments. Not all are internet posters with out any personal experience. If protocol was followed or not only the body cams and investigators will determine that. Has ATF put out a press release?

Old 03-23-2024, 12:42 PM

1,021 posts, read 528,596 times
Quote:
Protocol would involve assessing risk and threat for any given situation. Like serving a guy they have publicly stated have good reason to suspect he is armed up and has no compulsions about breaking the law regarding firearms.

Are you, fellow interweb poster, savvy to typical ATF protocol?

This looks like the ATF effed up in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.