Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2024, 02:11 PM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Your right 20 years of experience in navigation, transit and mooring in Chesapeake Bay ports have no bearing on this. Multiple posters with experience besides me have stated that this was an accident, but you hell bent that this is some "cockamamie stories".

Believe what you want because even if the NTSB report was out you would still believe whatever garbage you found on the internet. Try reading Dutton’s Nautical Navigation and get some factual information, I quit.
Whatever the NTSB concludes, it probably won’t eclipse the findings of NIST, and the melting steel twin towers. Lots of folks believe a lot of brain dead nonsense, and will die dumber than the day they were born.

And you will no doubt continue to believe whatever garbage the authorities choose to feed you, armed with links to all of the fact checker sites at your finger tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 02:14 PM

52,259 posts, read 52,668,250 times
I'm of the mindset that it was probably some kind of electrical/mechanical failure, but I suppose we'll see what the investigation brings.

Old 04-01-2024, 02:34 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Whatever the NTSB concludes, it probably won’t eclipse the findings of NIST, and the melting steel twin towers. Lots of folks believe a lot of brain dead nonsense, and will die dumber than the day they were born.

And you will no doubt continue to believe whatever garbage the authorities choose to feed you, armed with links to all of the fact checker sites at your finger tips.
Your statement "Senior Conspiracy Theorist" fits you, enjoy the kool-aid.......

Old 04-01-2024, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Apparently, the full power was in reverse. The ship actually slowed down from that point. The problem was that in reverse, the ship's bow would turn to starboard due to the the rotation of the prop (the paddle effect) and of course, there would be no flow across the rudder so it would not work.
I’m not sure what picture you’re trying to paint here, but you can’t have your cake and eat it too, buddy. You gotta stick with the whole story, and not pick the parts you like, discarding the others. This ain’t a buffet.

The first point I would challenge is the claim that the ship slowed down. There is zero evidence of that actually happening. The videos certainly don’t show a slow down from the point where the ship turns starboard until it completes its turn and is now on its new heading straight toward the pier. There was no visible slowing of the ship’s movement throughout that maneuver.

Secondly, the loss of power occurred twice in the span of 4 minutes or so. There would be no possible reversing at the point of the first power outage, nor any reason to. And there would be no reason to reverse at any point thereafter until the ship had completed the starboard turn which placed it on its direct collision course with bridge. So when did this procedure to reverse thrust take place? But more importantly, why would the captain issue a reverse order, if doing so would cause the hard starboard movement toward the bridge pier, as you seem to insinuate is such a predictable consequence of that action? Are you suggesting that both the Master and Pilot are so incompetent that they would have made such an error? Because this catastrophe couldn’t have happened except for the dramatic turn starboard which made the collision possible. Had the ship not made that hard starboard turn, it would have missed that pier completely.

All in all, there is nothing about the narrative that makes sense, as we have several elements of the story so far that are in direct conflict with what we see on the videos, and in truth, some elements are in conflict with each other. This of course is not what you’d see in an organic event. Those conflicts would not exist, unless the story is a fabrication.

So all of these conflicting claims are indicative of one big fat lie layered on top of other big fat lies. Power loss caused loss of navigation, and loss of engine power? Or was it no loss of engine power, but a reversal of engine thrust which caused the navigation change? It can’t be both.

But what we do know is that two power outages resulted in the loss of sensor data being sent to the VDR which would tell us the engine power status, and rudder positions at these critical stages.

Old 04-01-2024, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Your statement "Senior Conspiracy Theorist" fits you, enjoy the kool-aid.......
I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again … I’m always on the lookout for new conspiracy theories, since all of my old ones have now come true.

Old 04-01-2024, 04:33 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
technically that could be true as the admin can order the few surviving mills in the US to tool up and switch to 'weathering steel' (a special steel alloy designed in the US and once exclusive to the US that is suitable for STEEL bridges - hence my 'Ambridge' comment. not iron, not concrete.)

My point stands, we at present do not make this stuff domestically in any reasonable volume. I wish we would, but we dont and wont. IIRC the last large steel bridge was the seismic strengthening/rebuild of the SF bay bridge - at which point 75%-ish was domestic - 17 years ago (2007). 2009-2016 we closed most of the those plants now giving us:

Note the point is not that we can/cannot ultimately build it or make it, its was to refute those who said it will be done in a year or so, citing as evidence projects done almost 100 years ago in the steel empire of the planet. <---no factors that exist at present.

And mind you, I am not lumping ALL steel as STEEL. no one should.

'Bridge steel' is completely different from 'washing machine' steel or 'chevy silverado' steel or even 'now cancelled or delayed new aircraft carrier hull plating' steel. Like I said: "Ambridge". lookitup.
Yeah, they will not build an entire bridge of US steel. Even since I was involved in a bridge project (had Fed funds/Buy America) most of the steel came from Canada and since then there are even fewer domestic steel plants. I did look that up. On another project it was Spanish steel.

But wait, look what I found!

https://americanmadesteelbridges.com...auge%20bridges.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-01-2024 at 04:45 PM..

Old 04-01-2024, 05:14 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
Lots of folks believe a lot of brain dead nonsense,...
Yes. Indeed. Lots of folks.

Old 04-01-2024, 05:21 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
In other news:
https://www.fox5dc.com/news/temporar...ridge-wreckage
https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/ne...collapse-site/

A channel has been opened to aid in demolition of the wreckage. Another is slated to open in the next few days to resume some shipping, although it's going to be fairly shallow.

Old 04-01-2024, 05:32 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,499,251 times
Quote:
I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again … I’m always on the lookout for new conspiracy theories, since all of my old ones have now come true.
When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Old 04-01-2024, 05:58 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Full moons are not conspiracies - but this is definitely a conspiracy of making:

https://jnlwp.defense.gov/Press-Room...essel-stopper/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies