Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 04:30 PM

88,988 posts, read 44,799,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
That's not correct. I'm a boomer and mine is 67...well 66 + months.
Those born in 1942 were the last ones to have FRA at 65. 1942 is Silent Generation.
Yep. I'm a boomer and my retirement age is 67. We're definitely getting ripped off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 04:51 PM

38 posts, read 8,420 times
Most people don't even make it to 65 before getting shown the door.

Old 03-27-2024, 04:56 PM

43,074 posts, read 18,246,291 times
The only discrimination the courts uphold are those about race.

Age discrimination....rarely do they win

Old 03-27-2024, 07:43 PM
bu2

24,074 posts, read 14,872,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginwaterland View Post
The average life span in the U.S. is 77.8 years. Where are you coming up with 15 plus years after retirement? No, this is a just a wealthy elite telling the serfs what they should be doing. THE REAL PROBLEM IS GOVERNMENT SPENDING OUT OF THE SOCIAL SECURITY ACCOUNT and not investing the money that workers have given them over the decades. This is a problem created by the government and the likes of this wealthy elite. They should be required to fix it!
That is average which includes people who die earlier, including infants. The average life expectancy for a 65 year old in the US is 18-20 years.

Old 03-27-2024, 07:46 PM
bu2

24,074 posts, read 14,872,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I am a Gen-Xer turning 50. My retirement age was never 65. My FRA was always 67. 65 only applies to the baby boomer generation. Larry Fink is just an overprivileged blowhard who doesn't really know what he is talking about.

Anyway I have worked a part-time job on top of a full-time job for decades and I plan to retire from full-time work at 60 and continue on with the part-time work voluntarily for some structure in retirement. Society will not dictate when I stop working full-time if I can help it.
For people turning 65 this year its 66 years, 8 months. for people born in 1960 and later, its 67.

Old 03-27-2024, 07:52 PM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
America's retirement age of 65 is "crazy," BlackRock CEO says

He's right. It's a math equation. Due to Climate Change, we all live LONG and COMFY lives compared to our grandparents/great grandparents.

We live too long.

There's no way people should be retiring at 62, 64, or 66 and expect to live off retirement funds for 15, 20, 25, 35 years. Ideally, you work up until the last couple years, then that's it. That's how it's been done since the Dawn of Time.
You forgot the sarcasm emoji.

Old 03-27-2024, 07:54 PM

26,482 posts, read 15,063,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Well, I am retiring in 2 days in my mid-50s and I believe the decision to do so will actually greatly increase my life expectancy had I remained in my high-stress job for another 10 years.

We've worked really hard to get here, saving every year , not buying fancy cars or vacations like some of my peers, etc. Selling a home in high COL state and moving to a lower cost COL state with no mortgage. We did get a new car that has a note on it but we could pay that off out of extra RE sale proceeds and may do so - it's our only debt. Our financial plan is based on me living to 95 and my husband to 85. Neither is likely, and the plan predicts our investments will be worth more then than they are now, so it is conservative with some wiggle room. Finally deciding to pull the trigger was one of the hardest decisions I have made because of the fear of it running out. But in reality we're just fine and see no reason to keep working at a job that sucks the life out of me when we have the financial independence not to live that way. We're not expecting handouts - this has been in the works since I started working.
Good for you!

Hope it works out.

My dad refused to retire, when he finally was pressured into it by family, he was diagnosed with Parkinsons within a month of retirement and wished he'd have retired earlier.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:28 PM

43,074 posts, read 18,246,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Well, I am retiring in 2 days in my mid-50s and I believe the decision to do so will actually greatly increase my life expectancy had I remained in my high-stress job for another 10 years.

We've worked really hard to get here, saving every year , not buying fancy cars or vacations like some of my peers, etc. Selling a home in high COL state and moving to a lower cost COL state with no mortgage. We did get a new car that has a note on it but we could pay that off out of extra RE sale proceeds and may do so - it's our only debt. Our financial plan is based on me living to 95 and my husband to 85. Neither is likely, and the plan predicts our investments will be worth more then than they are now, so it is conservative with some wiggle room. Finally deciding to pull the trigger was one of the hardest decisions I have made because of the fear of it running out. But in reality we're just fine and see no reason to keep working at a job that sucks the life out of me when we have the financial independence not to live that way. We're not expecting handouts - this has been in the works since I started working.
Good for you I did the same and have zero regrets 10 years later.
If you've planned for it - you'll be fine

My motto - I am on summer vacation for the rest of my life but this time I have money and a car.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:49 PM

13,247 posts, read 7,300,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
Because many people don't plan accordingly, that they might live beyond the overall life expectancy of a nation of 340 million people.

There are millions of people that live to their 80s, 90s and beyond. 100 year olds isn't some rare event, its fairly common. Do you want to plan as if you're going to die at 77 and run out of funds if you make it to 78? That's foolish.
I used to think that, but I know several that died in their mid 70's. Mostly cancer one heart attack few months ago he was in his early 50's. My mothers business partner died at 75 from Colon cancer he had no symptoms until one day had some pains few weeks later said it was stage 4. He lasted about 9 months. Co-worker few years ago riding a bike suddenly fell off because later found he broke his back he was 75. Turns out he had bone cancer he lingered around in a hospital bones being eaten away by the cancer it was horrible. Childhood friend his father died from stomach cancer at 72 just retired had little symptoms until it was diagnosed stage 4 lasted about a year. Working till 65 is dumb idea retirement age should be sooner not later if you can retire at 45.

Last edited by kell490; 03-27-2024 at 10:15 PM..

Old 03-27-2024, 09:04 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,173,035 times
Unfortunately people that retire early also tend to die early! Seen it more times than I can count. That said, my grandfather worked until 92....said it kept him young. He almost made 100. My father worked till almost 80...is now 94 (and retired).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies