Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2024, 11:58 AM

18,934 posts, read 8,560,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Biden. He has already proposed tax increases on everyone except those who pay no federal income tax.
Because of this, or other reasons? Dems will always talk about raising taxes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 12:01 PM

89,500 posts, read 45,170,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Because of this, or other reasons? Dems will always talk about raising taxes...
Because of an increase in Fed Gov spending, including this.

Old 05-01-2024, 12:04 PM

14,680 posts, read 12,337,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Do oil companies or food manufacturers lower prices because people care what it costs? They don’t, and health care companies are no different. Just like the price of cereal is never going back to pre-pandemic prices, regardless of whether their manufacturing costs go down, neither will health care. People have to stop thinking of health care industry as somehow altruistic or caring if people go into debt to pay their charges. They are corporations and what they care about are their quarterly profits just like any corporation.

They take away half the beds to make ritzy private suites and put rock waterfalls in the lobby. Of course costs are going up.

Yes, they do adjust prices if people stop paying for their product. It's not about altruism it's about supply and demand. Take an economics course, or a refresher if it's been awhile.

Old 05-01-2024, 01:39 PM

51,275 posts, read 36,934,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Yes, they do adjust prices if people stop paying for their product. It's not about altruism it's about supply and demand. Take an economics course, or a refresher if it's been awhile.
But people did not stop buying their products even at the height of inflation so they learned they don’t have to lower prices. Healthcare is a necessity, so how are people going to just opt not to use it? You can’t even get a figure of what costs are going to be for procedures such as a back surgery. You can’t find out till you get the bill.

Was the snide last sentence really necessary?

Old 05-01-2024, 01:46 PM

Quote:
But people did not stop buying their products even at the height of inflation so they learned they don’t have to lower prices. Healthcare is a necessity, so how are people going to just opt not to use it? You can’t even get a figure of what costs are going to be for procedures such as a back surgery. You can’t find out till you get the bill.

Was the snide last sentence really necessary?
My post was musing about it being better if people could decide their own medical costs and services. Insurance paid by someone else has made us so far removed from how much things cost that we can’t control it. The worst thing we could do is just guarantee a new government program to keep paying these exorbitant prices. I’d like to simplify it is all … - we probably don’t disagree on that. I’d like to see it returned to an economy that makes sense… but what I want will probably never happen. Just a dream.

Old 05-01-2024, 01:56 PM

Quote:
My post was musing about it being better if people could decide their own medical costs and services. Insurance paid by someone else has made us so far removed from how much things cost that we can’t control it. The worst thing we could do is just guarantee a new government program to keep paying these exorbitant prices. I’d like to simplify it is all … - we probably don’t disagree on that. I’d like to see it returned to an economy that makes sense… but what I want will probably never happen. Just a dream.
For younger, healthier and low risk people this could work. But that's not where the money/risk is. The big risks are with the HC needs of seniors. And that is why we have Medicare. Which by the way doesn't typically pay exorbitant prices.

Who is going to know at a young age what their HC needs/costs will be at and beyond age 65?

Old 05-01-2024, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
For younger, healthier and low risk people this could work. But that's not where the money/risk is. The big risks are with the HC needs of seniors. And that is why we have Medicare. Which by the way doesn't typically pay exorbitant prices.

Who is going to know at a young age what their HC needs/costs will be at and beyond age 65?
One common sense solution that would make sense is to sell an affordable insurance that only covers catastrophic events.

Insurance became unaffordable when it began covering everything. Regular visits and Urgent Care for a stitches or an xray, we could probably afford, like we do for our pets.... a couple hundred bucks, it's not fun but we can do it. Insurance could be only for serious injuries or hospitalizations.

That ^ could be affordable, although not without some serious price reforms. It will never be fixed if we are still stuck with a medical system where a surgeon isn't arrested for charging $100-200K for a bypass surgery. NO ONE is worth that kind of money for a day's work. No one. It's highway robbery - a shakedown. What they're charging is not reasonable, justifiable or sustainable. We need to fix THAT before anything will ever be solved.

Probably not in my lifetime.

Old 05-01-2024, 03:19 PM

Quote:
One common sense solution that would make sense is to sell an affordable insurance that only covers catastrophic events.

Insurance became unaffordable when it began covering everything. Regular visits and Urgent Care for a stitches or an xray, we could probably afford, like we do for our pets.... a couple hundred bucks, it's not fun but we can do it. Insurance could be only for serious injuries or hospitalizations.

That ^ could be affordable, although not without some serious price reforms. It will never be fixed if we are still stuck with a medical system where a surgeon isn't arrested for charging $100-200K for a bypass surgery. NO ONE is worth that kind of money for a day's work. No one. It's highway robbery - a shakedown. What they're charging is not reasonable, justifiable or sustainable. We need to fix THAT before anything will ever be solved.

Probably not in my lifetime.
Catastrophic may be fine for those young and healthy. But not for seniors, or those with serious pre-existing. There is typically too much more routine, maintenance and less than urgent HC going on with seniors. And sure - those with the means could afford that. Most seniors can't, and why we have Medicare.

Surgeons don't make anywhere near that kind of money for a bypass. The total bypass bill could conceivably add up to that general number though. And when a hospital charges that $100-200K, they typically receive roughly 1/3 of total billings from insurance. So in reality it can be somewhat less than highway robbery.

Old 05-01-2024, 03:49 PM

20,010 posts, read 18,304,490 times
Quote:
No it doesn’t in regards to B. I’ve worked in geriatric rehab for almost 30 years. Medicare patients are the easiest in terms of documentation requirements.
My daughter, son and his wife are all MDs who utterly disagree. For what you do - maybe yes. For what they do no.

Part of burden shifting is the ~20% reimbursement shortfalls relative to private insurance.

Old 05-01-2024, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
My daughter, son and his wife are all MDs who utterly disagree. For what you do - maybe yes. For what they do no.

Part of burden shifting is the ~20% reimbursement shortfalls relative to private insurance.
I agree with ocnjgirl. Sure Medicare doesn't pay well. But it has been easy to deal with since the '70's IME. What do the Doctors in your family do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies