Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2024, 10:13 PM

32,833 posts, read 19,530,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
They want to take away Social Security and Medicare when they get their Republican trifecta.
the republicans are the ONLY PARTY trying to reform SS to SAVE it...... why do the democrats want to watch it die a slow death in 9 years????????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 05:25 AM

13,669 posts, read 20,811,465 times
Quote:
They want to take away Social Security and Medicare when they get their Republican trifecta.
Please post a valid quote from a Republican where he or she states that they "want to take away Social Security and Medicare."

Please provide evidence that the GOP wants to take away two of the things they helped to create and voted for.

You can't.

Old 05-07-2024, 05:46 AM

24,730 posts, read 9,533,981 times
Quote:
It's already going away.

Quote:
Americans will lose full Social Security benefits in 11 years, according to the program's trustees — a year later than expected. Full Social Security benefits are expected to run out in 2035, per the program's trustees.
https://www.businessinsider.com/when...boomers-2024-5

The question is when will we plan to reform it.

Old 05-07-2024, 05:52 AM

15,559 posts, read 7,583,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
medicare/medicaid is 2t of the budget.... and sucks.... too many denial of service
My experience is different. Aetna has tried to deny care on multiple occasions. Since I went on Medicare, those denials don't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the republicans are the ONLY PARTY trying to reform SS to SAVE it...... why do the democrats want to watch it die a slow death in 9 years????????????
The GOP method of saving any program is to cut taxes for the wealthy and corporations, increasing deficits.

Old 05-07-2024, 05:03 PM

47,020 posts, read 26,088,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That’s mostly marketing. Insurance companies and even Medicare have used algorithms for years as financial controls.
"financial controls" in this context being "Your doctor may think you need this. You agree you need this. But it would hurt the insurers' financials to provide it, so you're not getting it."

Old 05-07-2024, 05:21 PM

18,865 posts, read 8,514,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
"financial controls" in this context being "Your doctor may think you need this. You agree you need this. But it would hurt the insurers' financials to provide it, so you're not getting it."
There are also ethical, medically sensible, and evidence based denials.
There may be a cheaper, easier or safer alternative. Generic vs brand name drugs.
There may be cheaper testing or treatments with the same or better results. An x-ray may make more sense initially than an MRI.

Old 05-07-2024, 05:38 PM

15,559 posts, read 7,583,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
There are also ethical, medically sensible, and evidence based denials.
There may be a cheaper, easier or safer alternative. Generic vs brand name drugs.
There may be cheaper testing or treatments with the same or better results. An x-ray may make more sense initially than an MRI.
My experience with denials has been with EvilCore(actually EviCore for "evidence based" decisions, but they are evil in my book) who kept denying my annual MRI that checks for recurrence of my very rare sinus cancer. Their claim is that after 3 years, I no longer needed the MRI, basing that on other head and neck cancers. They told me that I only needed an MRI if I had symptoms. If I have symptoms, I will be having major facial surgery to remove all of the glands in my face and neck. X-Rays aren't good at detecting the recurrence. They also tried to claim I did not need the head x-ray that was taken every day of my proton treatments, because "the mask is good enough for positioning".

The denials for Medicare Advantage patients that need more rehab time are disgusting. They are telling patients with catheters, an inability to walk, and wounds that need dressing daily that they have to go home immediately.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:24 AM

59,305 posts, read 27,477,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
We can't find the money for a national healthcare system to help US citizens as an essential service much like we fund the fire fighters or police officers, but we have enough money to:

-Fund Taiwan's defense against China

-Fund Israel's war in Gaza

-Fund Ukraine's war

-Fund Ukrainian pensions and other civil services

-Spent $1.9 Trillion in Iraq, with future expenses estimated to push it to $2.4 Trillion

-Spend as much money on the military as the next 6 countries combined

-Spent $2,260 Billion in Afghanistan

-Spent $83 Billion training the Afghan military that disintegrated

-Left behind $7 Billion in weapons in Afghanistan

-We're building more military bases in Syria

-$245 Billion in TARP to bail out big businesses

-$22 Billion to bail out 2 failed banks in 2023, including bailouts above the FDIC limit so it was helping the rich who didn't follow the rule

-$1.7 Billion a year in maintenance on empty government buildings

-$3 million to study if hamsters on steroids are more aggressive

https://www.rd.com/list/wasteful-gov...ding-examples/

https://www.npr.org/2023/04/13/11683...e-fdic-bailout

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/20...n-and-for-what

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamand...h=3126972c41db

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financ...f_the_Iraq_War

It really comes down to priorities and the health of US citizens isn't a top priority, the above things are deemed more important so they get done.

Shouldn't we demand more of our elected officials to spend some of that money at home here on taking care of our wellbeing?
"don't we have enough money for national healthcare?"

If you think those countries ar so great, what are you still here?

Which 1 are you going to move to?

Doesn't matter to me either way.

Show us where in the Constitution it says the fed should provide it.

I won't hold my breathe!

Last edited by Quick Enough; 05-08-2024 at 08:33 AM..

Old 05-08-2024, 08:28 AM

59,305 posts, read 27,477,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
The VA, Social Security and the border are all government run disasters and you want to entrust the same people with your healthcare?
The poster should check the ratings from vets on the VA.

If the fed can't handle this small group, compared to ALL the U.S., why do some think it can handle all of us.

Old 05-08-2024, 09:21 AM

24,730 posts, read 9,533,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
The VA, Social Security and the border are all government run disasters and you want to entrust the same people with your healthcare?
That's a great point. As a veteran, there's no way I would recommend the medical and dental service I got while serving.

Even if America had national healthcare, millions of Americans would gladly opt out for their own private medical physicians and dentists and insurers where true supply and demand works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies