Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM

89,257 posts, read 45,002,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Tell that to hundreds of millions of satisfied Medicare beneficiaries.
Maybe in your circles. My Mom (80s) is in a really nice, pricey assisted living facility (located on a farm for retired high stakes thoroughbreds) and they ALL complain about having to PAY for Medicare even after paying Medicare taxes for several decades AND all the healthcare for which Medicare denies payment.

Medicare:

1) Costs seniors too much after having already paid for it for decades
2) Denies payment for too many healthcare services

But that's the Fed Gov for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM

18,865 posts, read 8,514,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Maybe in your circles. My Mom (80s) is in a really nice, pricey assisted living facility (located on a farm for retired high stakes thoroughbreds) and they ALL complain about having to PAY for Medicare even after paying Medicare taxes for several decades AND all the healthcare for which Medicare denies payment.

Medicare:

Of course my circle is a bit larger than most, having cared for Medicare patients 50 years. And been a beneficiary the last 8 or so years. And my daughter oversees a really nice, pricey assisted living facility in Portland.

Of course everyone complains. But without Medicare supporting seniors, only the rich could afford their HC.

Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Of course my circle is a bit larger than most, having cared for Medicare patients 50 years. And been a beneficiary the last 8 or so years. And my daughter oversees a really nice, pricey assisted living facility in Portland.

Of course everyone complains. But without Medicare supporting seniors, only the rich could afford their HC.
That's a pretty big difference between "hundreds of millions are satisfied with Medicare" and "of course everyone complains." If they're complaining, they're not satisfied.

Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM

Quote:
That's a pretty big difference between "hundreds of millions are satisfied with Medicare" and "of course everyone complains." If they're complaining, they're not satisfied.
Well if I was King, I'd give all our seniors totally free HC with a cherry on top.
And I would bet we'd still complain. lol

Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM

8,164 posts, read 3,713,229 times
Quote:

Medicare:

Lol. Try to insure them with private insurance, see how much that would cost

Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Lol. Try to insure them with private insurance, see how much that would cost
Why should they have to when they prepaid for Medicare for decades?

Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM

8,164 posts, read 3,713,229 times
Quote:
Because the HC in the US is severely expensive. And an aging person consumes a lot of it on average.
Any other questions?

Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM

50,996 posts, read 36,695,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Can't make a blanket statement like that.

Advantage plans seem to work for a lot of people, but the quality can vary considerably depending on geographic location, who the carrier is, and whether it is an HMO or PPO. But Medicare is standardized nationwide, as are Supplements. It would be nice if Medicare had some kind of out-of-pocket limit, but it doesn't. And unfortunately, many seniors can't afford Supplement premiums and Part D premiums on top of their Part B premium.

If just over half of Medicare enrollees now have Advantage plans, they must be working OK for some.

I speak to that as someone whose mother ended up with huge co-pays after hospital and rehab (close to $5000) and as someone with almost 30 years experience working in skilled nursing facilities as an OT. They're great till you get sick, once you do you have gatekeepers who are cutting people from rehab way before they're ready to return home, and it's getting worse every year. You deal with gatekeepers for every little thing, whose goal is for the patient to get as little as they can get away with giving them.

I don't think most people realize how bad they are and how high the co-pays when you actually get sick. I also don't think most know that you can only get care in your own state under Advantage plans. Have a stroke while visiting a sister in Florida? Too bad, only the ER will be covered.

I totally get being unable to afford all the fees with traditional Medicare. I will be in that boat. I will either find the money to pay the premiums, or go bankrupt from co-pays under Advantage because I have arthritis all over and my old age is going to be a cycle of joint replacements, spine surgeries, and rehabs.

Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Of course that is part of the deal. Before Obamacare I was paying about $17K to cover my family through State Farm after being with them for 30 years. A private sector HC plan for seniors would have been too expensive for most.

Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM

15,559 posts, read 7,583,489 times
Quote:
The Medicare tax mostly covers current expenditures, no one is prepaying for life. Medicare has always had premiums. I pay $247 per month, including the IRMAA charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies