Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 11:11 AM

89,513 posts, read 45,181,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The Medicare tax mostly covers current expenditures, no one is prepaying for life. Medicare has always had premiums. I pay $247 per month, including the IRMAA charge.
Why does anyone have to pay Medicare tax at all when 84 million get Medicaid for free?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 11:12 AM

4,369 posts, read 7,288,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think most people realize how bad they are and how high the co-pays when you actually get sick. I also don't think most know that you can only get care in your own state under Advantage plans. Have a stroke while visiting a sister in Florida? Too bad, only the ER will be covered.
All Advantage plans cover ER and Urgent care nationwide when travelling, but many plans these days also cover non-urgent/emergency services when travelling, as well. This is more likely to be the case if the Advantage plan is backed by one of the well-known national names in medical insurance. Plan documents will specify whether this is the case or not, so always check before signing up, especially for those who travel out of state with any frequency.

Old 05-09-2024, 11:19 AM

4,369 posts, read 7,288,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why does anyone have to pay Medicare tax at all when 84 million get Medicaid for free?
Medicaid eligibility is limited to persons who meet certain low-income criteria.

I wouldn't want Medicaid if I I could afford something better. When my PCP retired a couple of years ago, I was astonished when searching for a new provider how many private-practice doctors in my area stated "We do not accept Medicaid". Medicaid reimbursement are apparently the lowest of the low.

Old 05-09-2024, 11:25 AM

18,936 posts, read 8,562,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Medicaid eligibility is limited to persons who meet certain low-income criteria.

I wouldn't want Medicaid if I I could afford something better. When my PCP retired a couple of years ago, I was astonished when searching for a new provider how many private-practice doctors in my area stated "We do not accept Medicaid". Medicaid reimbursement are apparently the lowest of the low.
And typically comes with a relatively large portion of chronic pain and mental health patients. With the more common abusive patient.

Old 05-09-2024, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post

There are a lot of MDs (30%) who won't accept new Medicare patients, either.

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/med...new%20patients.

Old 05-09-2024, 11:36 AM

51,288 posts, read 36,950,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
And typically comes with a relatively large portion of chronic pain and mental health patients. With the more common abusive patient.
A lot are elderly patients on long term Medicaid also have managed Medicaid as health insurance too (most of those in nursing homes are on long term Medicaid). My mother was on managed Medicaid plan the last 7 years of her life.

My brother was on Medicaid when he sustained a back injury at age 62 that prevented him from working anymore (auto mechanic) until he became Medicare eligible. It’s not all druggies and dregs of society. A lot of poor rural Americans are on it, too.

Old 05-09-2024, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
A lot are elderly patients on long term Medicaid also have managed Medicaid as health insurance too (most of those in nursing homes are on long term Medicaid). My mother was on managed Medicaid plan the last 7 years of her life.

My brother was on Medicaid when he sustained a back injury at age 62 that prevented him from working anymore (auto mechanic) until he became Medicare eligible. It’s not all druggies and dregs of society. A lot of poor rural Americans are on it, too.
Of course most Medicaid patients are not abusive. And IME the few abusive are more typically younger.

Old 05-09-2024, 11:59 AM

8,186 posts, read 3,743,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
There are a lot of MDs (30%) who won't accept new Medicare patients, either.

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/med...new%20patients.

"The vast majority of non-pediatric office-based physicians accept new patients, with similar shares accepting new Medicare and privately-insured patients. Overall, 95% of office-based physicians accepted new patients in 2019. The share of physicians accepting new patients was similar for Medicare (89%) and private insurance (91%), with no statistically significant differences between the payers (Figure 1). "

https://www.kff.org/medicare/issue-b...ate-insurance/

Next.

Old 05-09-2024, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
"The vast majority of non-pediatric office-based physicians accept new patients, with similar shares accepting new Medicare and privately-insured patients. Overall, 95% of office-based physicians accepted new patients in 2019. The share of physicians accepting new patients was similar for Medicare (89%) and private insurance (91%), with no statistically significant differences between the payers (Figure 1). "

Next.
There may be more, but I still only know one doc out of dozens besides Pediatrics who does not take Medicare.

Old 05-09-2024, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post

Next.
That's old data. Out of date. Here's a more recent source:

Physicians are dropping Medicare patients. Here's why
https://www.beckersasc.com/asc-news/...heres-why.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies