Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 01:57 PM

18,937 posts, read 8,562,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's old data. Out of date. Here's a more recent source:

Physicians are dropping Medicare patients. Here's why
https://www.beckersasc.com/asc-news/...heres-why.html
Thing is, most docs and other HC providers need the Medicare patient volume to stay viable. They pay little, but at least they help to keep the doors open. As they say, Medicare reimbursements have not kept up with the COL and typical office overheads. Back in the '90's we were saying that we'd better get some COL adjustments soon. And they barely if ever came. The '80's were our golden years. We would have no lack of internists today if they made what I made back then, not so simply adding in 40 years of inflation adjustments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 02:07 PM

30,828 posts, read 19,464,741 times
To drectly answer OP's query, no we don't have enough money for national healthcare. First we need to pay off the debt, have a surplus and then pay for national healthcare with the excess.

Old 05-09-2024, 02:16 PM

4,369 posts, read 7,288,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
"The vast majority of non-pediatric office-based physicians accept new patients, with similar shares accepting new Medicare and privately-insured patients. Overall, 95% of office-based physicians accepted new patients in 2019. The share of physicians accepting new patients was similar for Medicare (89%) and private insurance (91%), with no statistically significant differences between the payers (Figure 1). "

https://www.kff.org/medicare/issue-b...ate-insurance/

Next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's old data. Out of date. Here's a more recent source:

Physicians are dropping Medicare patients. Here's why
https://www.beckersasc.com/asc-news/...heres-why.html
It was 2022 when my PCP retired, and I sought recommendations from others who were satisfied with their PCP. I worked my way down the list, as I repeatedly got the "Not accepting new patients" response when I would call. I finally settled on one who is even older than I am, but would still accept a new patient. So I am good for now, but I could be going through this again sooner than later.

Old 05-09-2024, 03:10 PM

89,513 posts, read 45,181,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Thing is, most docs and other HC providers need the Medicare patient volume to stay viable. They pay little, but at least they help to keep the doors open. As they say, Medicare reimbursements have not kept up with the COL and typical office overheads. Back in the '90's we were saying that we'd better get some COL adjustments soon. And they barely if ever came. The '80's were our golden years. We would have no lack of internists today if they made what I made back then, not so simply adding in 40 years of inflation adjustments.
An increasing number of them are losing too much on Medicare patients and making the very difficult decision to longer accept Medicare. The reasons are given in the article I linked.

So, yeah... the Fed Gov is screwing up Medicare, too.

Old 05-09-2024, 04:26 PM

20,024 posts, read 18,311,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
"The vast majority of non-pediatric office-based physicians accept new patients, with similar shares accepting new Medicare and privately-insured patients. Overall, 95% of office-based physicians accepted new patients in 2019. The share of physicians accepting new patients was similar for Medicare (89%) and private insurance (91%), with no statistically significant differences between the payers (Figure 1). "

https://www.kff.org/medicare/issue-b...ate-insurance/

Next.
Sorry that data is too old to be useful.

ETA - IC beat me to it as it were.

Old 05-09-2024, 04:28 PM

20,024 posts, read 18,311,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
That works until patients become a financial net negative. Then the volume angle becomes more of an illusion.

Old 05-09-2024, 04:37 PM

4,369 posts, read 7,288,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That works until patients become a financial net negative. Then the volume angle becomes more of an illusion.
Still, a low-revenue patient would be better than a non-paying patient, or what could otherwise be empty appointment slots.

Old 05-09-2024, 04:52 PM

51,298 posts, read 36,950,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Still, a low-revenue patient would be better than a non-paying patient, or what could otherwise be empty appointment slots.
We love traditional Medicare patients in rehab facilities. If we could choose all patients that had traditional Medicare we’d take them all over Advantage plans or private insurance.

Old 05-09-2024, 04:52 PM

158 posts, read 55,903 times
50% of newborns are Medicaid babies. ("free")

That's one of the many reasons.

Old 05-09-2024, 05:11 PM

18,937 posts, read 8,562,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
As I posted it has been heading that way since the '90's. What happened around 2011 or so were a series of bonus reimbursements, like Medicare Wellness and such, that have helped pad primary care's overall potential collections. It is still headed that way, but I don't think a net negative yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies