Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 01:34 PM

30,555 posts, read 19,295,080 times

Advertisements

I don't see how anything can be worse than what we currently have. We should start with putting everyone on a better diet, getting rid of Big Pharma, and the AMA, ADA, and Food and Drug Administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2024, 01:43 PM
Status: "Wasting time n the internet. Just like you." (set 1 day ago)

1,178 posts, read 615,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I don't see how anything can be worse than what we currently have. We should start with putting everyone on a better diet, getting rid of Big Pharma, and the AMA, ADA, and Food and Drug Administration.
Yep. Diet is key. We collectively eat way too much low quality, processed food in this country by choice.

I see the 400 lb woman at walmart in the mobility cart full of mountain dew, chips/snacks, and I immediately think "I sure would like to pay more taxes for her healthcare!" Or not.

One of the few lefty leaning documentaries I have ever seen I actually agreed with most of was "Food, Inc".

Old 04-28-2024, 01:53 PM

39,109 posts, read 51,335,349 times
Obviously we have enough money and it has nothing to do with Ukraine or any other expense. We are paying it now. But our health care dollars are not going to health care but into the pockets of private insurers, CEOs, and other blood suckers who run what is more akin to an extortion scheme for their profit. Get rid of all of them and we can have reasonably affordable, universal health care like the rest of the first world has.

Old 04-28-2024, 02:11 PM
Status: "Wasting time n the internet. Just like you." (set 1 day ago)

1,178 posts, read 615,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
If Romneycare was used as example for Obamacare, then instead of creating Obamacare, each state replicate and modify Romneycare as they see fit.

There are 27 members in the EU, but is there a unified healthcare plan for all citizens in the EU? No, there is not. Each EU member takes care of its own citizens. EU citizens travels their countries the same way Americans travels their states. If a Frenchman in Germany needs medical care, Germany will provide the necessary treatment then bill France. Similarly, if a Virginian needs medical care in Kentucky, Kentucky provide the treatment then bill Virginia. We do not need a national healthcare program and a new federal agency to administer. We just need cooperation among the states just like how the states are already working with each other on many issues. Citizens varies among the states so they will have different budgets for healthcare and insurance programs.
The comparison of countries to states isnt actually that good.

Multiple individual U.S. states have seriously assessed doing such single payer at the state level, and have all come back with the primary assessment of difficulty.
"It will cost far more than we have at current tax rates in this state."
And it is apparent that most of those assessments, like in the small state Vermont, used the model which included adjusting for private insurance premiums that would not need to be paid (culling the middle men), dealing with patients from outside states (it would be pay for play), and the other things that would impact how single payer would actually work or not work.

Individual states will have to raise taxes by enormous amounts to do it, and they know it just wont fly with their populace. Those with high incomes (that can afford good insurance) wont want to get fleeced to pay for those that dont have high incomes, so they would just move to another state. We see it with regulations and taxes now. Moving to another country is a more complicated thing, even in Europe.

Old 04-28-2024, 02:27 PM

25,456 posts, read 9,847,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
We can't find the money for a national healthcare system to help US citizens as an essential service much like we fund the fire fighters or police officers, but we have enough money to:

-Fund Taiwan's defense against China

-Fund Israel's war in Gaza

-Fund Ukraine's war

-Fund Ukrainian pensions and other civil services

-Spent $1.9 Trillion in Iraq, with future expenses estimated to push it to $2.4 Trillion

-Spend as much money on the military as the next 6 countries combined

-Spent $2,260 Billion in Afghanistan

-Spent $83 Billion training the Afghan military that disintegrated

-Left behind $7 Billion in weapons in Afghanistan

-We're building more military bases in Syria

-$245 Billion in TARP to bail out big businesses

-$22 Billion to bail out 2 failed banks in 2023, including bailouts above the FDIC limit so it was helping the rich who didn't follow the rule

-$1.7 Billion a year in maintenance on empty government buildings

-$3 million to study if hamsters on steroids are more aggressive

https://www.rd.com/list/wasteful-gov...ding-examples/

https://www.npr.org/2023/04/13/11683...e-fdic-bailout

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/20...n-and-for-what

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamand...h=3126972c41db

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financ...f_the_Iraq_War

It really comes down to priorities and the health of US citizens isn't a top priority, the above things are deemed more important so they get done.

Shouldn't we demand more of our elected officials to spend some of that money at home here on taking care of our wellbeing?

Yes, we do, or would if it weren't for greed, big corporations and the military industrial complex.

Old 04-28-2024, 02:31 PM

1,880 posts, read 657,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Guy View Post
The comparison of countries to states isnt actually that good.

Multiple individual U.S. states have seriously assessed doing such single payer at the state level, and have all come back with the primary assessment of difficulty.
"It will cost far more than we have at current tax rates in this state."
And it is apparent that most of those assessments, like in the small state Vermont, used the model which included adjusting for private insurance premiums that would not need to be paid (culling the middle men), dealing with patients from outside states (it would be pay for play), and the other things that would impact how single payer would actually work or not work.

Individual states will have to raise taxes by enormous amounts to do it, and they know it just wont fly with their populace. Those with high incomes (that can afford good insurance) wont want to get fleeced to pay for those that dont have high incomes, so they would just move to another state. We see it with regulations and taxes now. Moving to another country is a more complicated thing, even in Europe.
Then it falls back down to the individual level, as in Americans at large do not want government run health insurance and care.

Yes, if you, and I say 'you' generically and not personally, want to be on your own, then your taxes will be low. But if you want the government to be the payee for your healthcare, then pay more taxes. There is no way around this. EU citizens pay taxes for their nationalized healthcare. If Americans do not want government healthcare at the state level, then how is this going to work at the federal level? The ACA is less than claimed. We need political leaders, state and federal, who are willing to risk their political standing and speak that truth.

So the question is: "Don't we have enough money for national healthcare?"

Then the answer is: "Yes"

Americans just do not want to allot out for it.

Old 04-28-2024, 04:24 PM

30,555 posts, read 19,295,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Guy View Post
Yep. Diet is key. We collectively eat way too much low quality, processed food in this country by choice.

I see the 400 lb woman at walmart in the mobility cart full of mountain dew, chips/snacks, and I immediately think "I sure would like to pay more taxes for her healthcare!" Or not.

One of the few lefty leaning documentaries I have ever seen I actually agreed with most of was "Food, Inc".
Yep, I opted out of the Food Pyramid, advice of the ADA, AMA, FDA, etc. Result is a loss of 65 lbs, 20.8 BMI, 8% bodyfat, ripped muscles, reverse diabetes, cure autoimmune, BP 105/60.

Old 04-28-2024, 04:30 PM

17,548 posts, read 14,730,423 times
Doing National Healthcare without fixing the root of most of our diseases first is ridiculous.

Our food system is a HUGE problem. And no one really cares because people make too much damn money off of it and the pharma we are prescribed to treat the diseases that come from it.

Old 04-29-2024, 08:08 AM

14,005 posts, read 5,660,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
If the people themselves can't afford their own healthcare, then the government can't afford their health care.
It's not like if the government pays for it, medical procedures magically cost less than if individual consumers pay for it.
Truer words were ne'er spoke.

Per highlighted, that might be the single best summarized debunking of the myth that government is somehow economically magic/divine I have ever read...anywhere.

Old 04-29-2024, 08:13 AM

18,870 posts, read 8,514,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Truer words were ne'er spoke.

Per highlighted, that might be the single best summarized debunking of the myth that government is somehow economically magic/divine I have ever read...anywhere.
Then how do you explain the success of Medicare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies