Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2024, 01:52 PM

6,390 posts, read 2,976,076 times

Advertisements

Buckhead breakaway bid over ‘for now’ after Georgia Senate rejects Atlanta split

https://nypost.com/2023/03/06/buckhe...atlanta-split/

I remember Tucker talking about this one. Atlanta would be poor if it lost Buckhead.

Old 04-30-2024, 02:05 PM

15,699 posts, read 10,497,075 times
why would white residents support black deadbeats in baton rouge? they want the best for their lives and kids. blacks are a negative to any community.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 04-30-2024 at 02:35 PM..

Old 04-30-2024, 02:17 PM

14,165 posts, read 8,289,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Buckhead breakaway bid over ‘for now’ after Georgia Senate rejects Atlanta split

https://nypost.com/2023/03/06/buckhe...atlanta-split/

I remember Tucker talking about this one. Atlanta would be poor if it lost Buckhead.
Humm...
Quote:
What’s Next For The Buckhead Cityhood Movement?

With the BCC’s role spearheading the cityhood movement and the group’s announcement they are putting efforts on pause while Kemp is in office, the Buckhead City push appears to be on the backburner for at least several years. If the BCC adheres to its latest announcement, it seems unlikely any lawmakers will take up the cause with its strongest proponents seemingly unwilling to continue the fight until 2027. However, much remains to be seen how Dickens’ administration and the Atlanta City Council will address issues raised by the BCC over the coming years. Additionally, the BCC will still need to field support from lawmakers to sponsor any future cityhood bills, and there is the potential for a complete turnover of local representation over the next several years.
https://www.buckhead.com/the-rise-an...nt-a-timeline/

Old 04-30-2024, 02:21 PM

35,866 posts, read 21,284,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
My brother is a Doctor in this new city and even in the expensive neighborhood he lives in Baton Rouge, crime is rampant and constant. With better policing, they should be able to build a much safer community. According to Wikipedia data, this new community will be 12% black.

Baton Rouge already has a majority black population, if you carve out most of the white areas, it's going to be almost exclusively a black community and they'll be rid of those dastardly White Supremacists and be able to run the city with high precision and perfection.
Poverty is laced with ignorance and a lack of motivation. Not even looking at a specific neighborhood or their skin color. Only way out of that is education and opportunities. If the poor person rises it’s because they have a gift, adequate education and an opportunity to show their talents. You can see this in the tv talent shows. So much talent. I don’t think singers, dancers or sports are the only talents lost. How many poor areas only repeat the cycle?
My grand plays HS football. He is going to 3 states to visit colleges etc in June. The kid is 15. I can see where another talented kid may not have that money. They fall by the wayside. There was 120 kids this year trying out for football. In one Texas school over 1,000. I’m in favor of TikTok etc because some have been able to self promote their talents. What do we do about the kid that is not offered that avenue because of location and bad schools? Are we not helping to continue the bad cycles ?

Old 04-30-2024, 02:31 PM

14,165 posts, read 8,289,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Poverty is laced with ignorance. Not even looking at a specific neighborhood or their skin color. Only way out of that is education and opportunities. If the poor person rises it’s because they have a gift, an available and adequate education and an opportunity to show their talents. You can see this in every can you sing show. So much talent. I don’t think signing, dancing or sports are the only talents not developed. My grand plays HS football. He is going to 3 states to visit colleges etc in June. The kid is 15. I can see where another talented kid may not have that money. Why I’m in favor of TikTok etc because some have been able to self promote.
What do we do about the talent that is not offered that avenue because of location and bad schools?
We? It's up to the communities and those who live there to demand change. If they are unwilling there is little you or I can do.

Last edited by john3232; 04-30-2024 at 02:42 PM..

Old 04-30-2024, 02:48 PM

73,224 posts, read 63,111,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
why would white residents support black deadbeats in baton rouge? they want the best for their lives and kids. blacks are a negative to any community.
When you're saying "Blacks are a negative to any community" you're saying that I'm a negative too. That's what you're calling me.

Old 04-30-2024, 02:59 PM

15,699 posts, read 10,497,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
When you're saying "Blacks are a negative to any community" you're saying that I'm a negative too. That's what you're calling me.
green, do you think a large number of blacks are a positive in any community?

Old 04-30-2024, 03:12 PM

73,224 posts, read 63,111,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
green, do you think a large number of blacks are a positive in any community?
It depends on who they are. If it's hard working, middle class Black Americans, yes. If it's the criminal class, no. You make no distinction between the two. That's why I'm so angry and take what you posted personally.

Old 04-30-2024, 03:31 PM

5,519 posts, read 9,551,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
My brother is a Doctor in this new city and even in the expensive neighborhood he lives in Baton Rouge, crime is rampant and constant. With better policing, they should be able to build a much safer community. According to Wikipedia data, this new community will be 12% black.

Baton Rouge already has a majority black population, if you carve out most of the white areas, it's going to be almost exclusively a black community and they'll be rid of those dastardly White Supremacists and be able to run the city with high precision and perfection.
I'm sure the crime will go down in this new city, because it will now have its own small dedicated (and probably paid more) police force, instead of a larger Baton Rouge police force that is spread thin and probably paid less. While the BR police force now has less area to patrol, they also lose some tax base, so it's difficult for someone like me, who has no knowledge of the area, to say if this would be a net gain or loss.

I have little doubt that the new school district will also perform well, because they have isolated themselves, and there are no longer any poor kids to skew the performance rating results. While the performance of each child in the new district and the Baton Rouge district will likely not change, the performance rating of the larger district will probably fall, because there aren't as many wealthy kids attending.

IMO, this kind of thing has almost nothing to do with race anymore. (although, the south has much more of a stigma to overcome regarding race, due to its past) White-flight might not be much of a thing these days, but wealth-flight is still going strong.

Old 04-30-2024, 03:52 PM

31,034 posts, read 19,620,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I'm sure the crime will go down in this new city, because it will now have its own small dedicated (and probably paid more) police force, instead of a larger Baton Rouge police force that is spread thin and probably paid less. While the BR police force now has less area to patrol, they also lose some tax base, so it's difficult for someone like me, who has no knowledge of the area, to say if this would be a net gain or loss.

I have little doubt that the new school district will also perform well, because they have isolated themselves, and there are no longer any poor kids to skew the performance rating results. While the performance of each child in the new district and the Baton Rouge district will likely not change, the performance rating of the larger district will probably fall, because there aren't as many wealthy kids attending.

IMO, this kind of thing has almost nothing to do with race anymore. (although, the south has much more of a stigma to overcome regarding race, due to its past) White-flight might not be much of a thing these days, but wealth-flight is still going strong.
Yeah it's wealth flight, there are a couple of famous black rappers living in this new city, they smartly chose to live in a predominant white affluent area over the ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies