Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 03:26 PM

5,519 posts, read 9,551,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I mentioned this before but when I living overseas, I worked as an adjunct professor and taught ESL. One semester I decided on the book "Black Like Me" for my students to read. I read the book decades earlier and it's an easy read. I thought the story might be interesting for non-Americans.

Now, I would never suggest AA were better off at the time "Black Like Me" was published (1961) and the author makes it clear Jim Crow was alive and well in the Southern areas he visited.

But what stuck out as I reread the book was the Black communities the author passed through were reasonably healthy despite the segregation.

There was none of the insanity we see today in parts of Oakland, Baltimore, Chicago ect.
Just speaking off-the-cuff here, I'm no expert. But, I'm guessing that it was segregation that kept these communities "reasonably healthy". All tiers of black society were forced to live together and make it work. When segregation was eventually ended, some of the black community left for what they might have thought were greener pastures. Even if the numbers were small to begin with, it could have upset the balance in these "reasonably healthy" black communities, starting a cascading effect, eventually leaving only the poorest (who couldn't afford to leave) behind.

I'm just answering your question, as I see it. I am absolutely NOT suggesting that segregation was a good thing. Today, wealth/class flight will still kill a community in the same way, just as much as white flight did in the past.

Old 05-07-2024, 04:29 PM

14,171 posts, read 8,289,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Just speaking off-the-cuff here, I'm no expert. But, I'm guessing that it was segregation that kept these communities "reasonably healthy". All tiers of black society were forced to live together and make it work. When segregation was eventually ended, some of the black community left for what they might have thought were greener pastures. Even if the numbers were small to begin with, it could have upset the balance in these "reasonably healthy" black communities, starting a cascading effect, eventually leaving only the poorest (who couldn't afford to leave) behind.

I'm just answering your question, as I see it. I am absolutely NOT suggesting that segregation was a good thing. Today, wealth/class flight will still kill a community in the same way, just as much as white flight did in the past.
If I remember correct almost everyone the author spoke with worked or ran a business. Families were mother/father and the children. In other words, these Black communities were "reasonably healthy " despite the fact Jim Crow was alive and well.

Old 05-07-2024, 07:33 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 26 days ago)

36,142 posts, read 18,424,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
White folks don’t need to win a court battle to separate themselves from the poor folk. It happens organically. I live in Seattle which is one of the most liberal cities on the planet. Folks in my neighborhood sport BLM and equality signs in their home windows all day long. They are champions for equality among other liberal posturing.

However…you rarely see these rich leftists hanging around or entering the rougher neighborhoods. Doesn’t happen! Nope..they hop in their Prius’ or Subarus and make a bee line to PCC or Whole Foods to shop with their other uptight blue haired friends in the safety and convenience of the wealthy parts of Seattle.

It’s called NIMBY. They LOVE equality and diversity but not in their neighborhood! In short, they don’t put their money where their mouths are. They are fake!
How would you possibly know?

Old 05-08-2024, 04:15 AM

39,955 posts, read 26,704,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
No one said anything about allowing students to disrupt classes. You're the one who brought that up out of nowhere, so I'm not sure why you're getting so easily confused.

The point is that if an area already has lots of problems and it is neglected even worse than it already is, the crime and poverty will just spiral out of control even more. And you can bet that more money will be spent, but on prisons instead of on resources that will at least help a good chunk of young people (those who you say "want to make something of themselves") who wouldn't have those resources otherwise. Just allowing the situation to get worse isn't a solution at all.

Not every child grows up with a silver spoon in their mouth and just because they don't doesn't mean they aren't worth investing in or that they are all "criminals".
Again though, throwing more money at the problem-doesn't fix it. We have tried that across the country. DC has some of the worst outcomes of any school system(s) in the nation-yet the highest per-student spending. I've read that other large cities have similar issues, especially in very well funded "minority" districts. Taking more and more from the taxpayer and giving it to the government, without changing how those schools are operated, isn't going to fix anything. They say doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. That is especially appropriate in this case.

Old 05-08-2024, 04:26 AM

39,955 posts, read 26,704,733 times
Quote:
White folks don’t need to win a court battle to separate themselves from the poor folk. It happens organically. I live in Seattle which is one of the most liberal cities on the planet. Folks in my neighborhood sport BLM and equality signs in their home windows all day long. They are champions for equality among other liberal posturing.

However…you rarely see these rich leftists hanging around or entering the rougher neighborhoods. Doesn’t happen! Nope..they hop in their Prius’ or Subarus and make a bee line to PCC or Whole Foods to shop with their other uptight blue haired friends in the safety and convenience of the wealthy parts of Seattle.

It’s called NIMBY. They LOVE equality and diversity but not in their neighborhood! In short, they don’t put their money where their mouths are. They are fake!
Is it only "white liberals" doing this, or is it wealthier, more successful people of all races? I've never lived in a metro area the size of Seattle, but in smaller towns I have lived in, "segregation" tends be divided much more among income class than race. Successful, wealthier people tend to live together regardless of race. There aren't "rich white" and "rich black" neighborhoods, just "rich" neighborhoods. Same with "middle class" neighborhoods, not necessarily rich. Just people living normal, productive lives, working for a living. What segregation I've seen seems to be in the loser neighborhoods, where there is a large concentration of non-working people, especially with drug and alcohol abuse problems. The most obvious divides seem to be there-as well as the "blame someone else" mentality.

But again, that's smaller towns that don't have the population base for both successful white and successful black neighborhoods. Larger cities, especially left-leaning cities, may well be more divided. I not only have never lived in a very large metro, but never in a far-left one so have no basis for comparision.

Old 05-08-2024, 06:15 AM

73,232 posts, read 63,111,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
If black people want to experience racism they would need to be white and move to a black neighborhood.
I'm Black, grew up in a predominantly White area, and dealt with racism.

Old 05-08-2024, 07:15 AM

27,866 posts, read 28,989,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Successful, wealthier people tend to live together regardless of race. There aren't "rich white" and "rich black" neighborhoods, just "rich" neighborhoods.
People don't like it when rich neighborhoods are disproportionately of certain races.

And poor neighborhoods are disproportionately of certain other races.

That is when all hell seems to break loose.

Old 05-08-2024, 07:17 AM

59,554 posts, read 27,748,299 times
Quote:

Didn't read post #1 I see!

Old 05-08-2024, 07:49 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,300,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Then what are you going to blame? IQ?

You can't, because African immigrants are the complete opposite of Black Americans in education.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa...nal_Attainment

Welfare culture is the only culprit. It is the only constant in the history of black Americans that rewards out of wedlock birth. No one is born being a bad parent, it is something you learn through a financial incentive and way of life.

I think IQ plays a big part but not necessarily along racial lines. Most people are born equal in intelligence but if someone has zero interest in reading, going to school, bettering themselves etc. their IQ will be lower no matter what the race. Couple that with endless welfare with few restrictions, food stamps, free housing, free this and free that and here we are. It's like we're rewarding generational stupidity.

Old 05-08-2024, 07:57 AM

36,961 posts, read 31,230,540 times
Quote:

Why would anyone hang out in a bad neighborhood? The folks that live in bad neighborhoods dont even want to be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies