Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 07:26 AM

43,852 posts, read 18,849,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Not sure what you are suggesting, the state take control of the city and thus it's really the states fault and not the city?

I do admit to chuckling at the premise that these guys just want to create their own city, but the others want to stop them from leaving because according to them the people leaving are racist...and apparently they like having racists around.

Maybe instead they want control of their own cops, own schools etc. so that they (rich area) aren't paying for a big chunk through taxes but then aren't being given represented.

*shrug* Apparently the law has been followed and the people have spoken.
Only because those "racists" have money.

Old 04-30-2024, 07:27 AM

27,866 posts, read 28,989,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Are not standards of education set by the state, of course Louisiana comes in near the bottom for public education. What about addressing the issues of poverty, unemployment and crime if they're so prevalent.
Which government has fixed the issues of education, poverty, unemployment, and crime in every locality across an entire state?

Can you provide an example of this?

Old 04-30-2024, 07:39 AM

29,910 posts, read 14,954,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Wealthy folks spend money. I think the state is probably happy that at least they're willing to stay in Louisiana.
I'm not sure how it's a racial thing. If BR was 98 % white with crappy city services these people would still be wanting to leave.
Exactly. Those that can, will move to a place with better schools, safer, etc. regardless of race.

Old 04-30-2024, 07:42 AM

17,061 posts, read 12,683,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
This sounds like everywhere, anytown USA. Smaller cities and towns take this approach, it’s common in the South. They really dont want to see anyone in their town that is below the upper levels of middle class regardless of race, Black,white,whatever, they hate them all if below 100,000k household income, talking in the South specifically.

They have to allow those working class folks to work in their area of course, you’re good enough to serve them, just not live by them and keep your kids away from theirs, your poverty might infect their children. If you think your race matters to these people you are wrong, they can smell the low income on people and will avoid you.
This and it is an increasing thing.

More and more Joe Whiteguy college educated CEO is far more comfortable with Marc Blackguy college educated CEO than William Whiteguy, janitor.

As time moves on, economic class means more and more, color less and less.

No, I am not saying color does not matter. I am pointing out a trend.

Old 04-30-2024, 07:47 AM

6,990 posts, read 3,179,576 times
This isn't just 'white flight', they are declaring a whole new city, complete with Mayor.

That's pretty wild, imho.

I bet those Chaz/Chop nuts are jealous

Old 04-30-2024, 07:53 AM

12,122 posts, read 5,991,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
This sounds like everywhere, anytown USA. Smaller cities and towns take this approach, it’s common in the South. They really dont want to see anyone in their town that is below the upper levels of middle class regardless of race, Black,white,whatever, they hate them all if below 100,000k household income, talking in the South specifically.

They have to allow those working class folks to work in their area of course, you’re good enough to serve them, just not live by them and keep your kids away from theirs, your poverty might infect their children. If you think your race matters to these people you are wrong, they can smell the low income on people and will avoid you.
You are so wrong - where is it you live? People down south are wonderful and help their neighbors - no matter their financial income. I'm headed to the food pantry this morning with groceries, then to the animal rescue. I love how people always have an opinion of an area when they've never experienced it.

People help each other down south more so than in NY where I lived.

Old 04-30-2024, 08:03 AM

20,319 posts, read 21,171,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
You are so wrong - where is it you live? People down south are wonderful and help their neighbors - no matter their financial income. I'm headed to the food pantry this morning with groceries, then to the animal rescue. I love how people always have an opinion of an area when they've never experienced it.

People help each other down south more so than in NY where I lived.
Aside from über elite wealth areas, this is totally true.

Old 04-30-2024, 08:04 AM

7,174 posts, read 2,840,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Wealthy folks spend money. I think the state is probably happy that at least they're willing to stay in Louisiana.
I'm not sure how it's a racial thing. If BR was 98 % white with crappy city services these people would still be wanting to leave.
They are tired at seeing their hard earned money being siphoned off in taxes for services and things that they would never use themselves or even qualify for.

Old 04-30-2024, 08:09 AM

19,331 posts, read 17,292,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The state can set standards however you want, as long as parents and single parent households don't care about education, they will stay at the bottom. My BIL was in charge of testing at the state and came in all pumped up to try to improve education, he was slowly just disillusioned into retirement, maybe you know how to fix everything?
I agree that the parent is the primary component but when the state continually underfunds its education system and places the burden on the school districts those that have high levels of poverty continue to fall farther behind. Every locations needs are different but when your are ranked in the bottom 5 as a state for education there must be some accountable for the state government.

Old 04-30-2024, 08:11 AM

19,331 posts, read 17,292,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Which government has fixed the issues of education, poverty, unemployment, and crime in every locality across an entire state?

Can you provide an example of this?
Have they even tried? Why is it that on this board the state government is only blamed for all of the above when the Dems are in charge.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies