Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 12:38 PM

4,257 posts, read 2,483,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Sorry to hear that, but I get it. It has gotten progressively worse and worse, decade by decade, since the 90s, I would say.

I think America peaked in the 1950s-1980s.

Mobile phones and our internet society has helped immensely with efficiency and connectivity, but has created a world of real world interaction avoidance, economic shifting of power to mobile devices and the internet and a disconnect in general of community, engagement and authenticity.

Prices are sky high and out of control for daily costs, housing costs, transportation and food.

Culture in America hinges around reality television, and the golden age of Hollywood has also come crumbling down due to streaming. Streaming of music has destroyed traditional radio, single sales and charting of songs, too.

The environment is being destroyed by greed and capitalism, all over the globe.

And then there looms Artificial Intelligence and the fears surrounding that.

Change is constant, and change is inevitable, but where we are going, I don't know if as a society in America that we will like it when we get there.
America started its sharp, terminal decline circa 1970. We are now in the final stages of that decline.

Old 05-02-2024, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Taggerung,

Don’t go “out of the frying pan and into the fire.”

If you think the US is corrupt and dysfunctional, just want until you move to Africa!

Humans are humans. There’s always going to be corruption and dysfunction, no matter where you go.
I am aware of this. At this point, I would rather deal with the problems over there, than deal with this horrifically polarized, isolated, and joyless society over here...

Old 05-02-2024, 12:45 PM

8,595 posts, read 11,028,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taggerung View Post
i am aware of this. At this point, i would rather deal with the problems over there, than deal with this horrifically polarized, isolated, and joyless society over here...
bye.

Old 05-02-2024, 12:46 PM

204 posts, read 162,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
The bolded is exactly how I feel. My husband and I are waiting for the election to make a decision on staying or going. I have a few years left of work unfortunately.
I was thinking same as the bold print as well as what you say, very different world, what happened to kindness???

Old 05-02-2024, 01:10 PM

19,731 posts, read 12,308,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
I am aware of this. At this point, I would rather deal with the problems over there, than deal with this horrifically polarized, isolated, and joyless society over here...
There are people living in the US who do not feel that way, or experience isolation or joylessness. They may not understand exactly how you feel.

Old 05-02-2024, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
If only we could get more liberals to leave the country, then the US would be a far better place again!

My wife's family and mine have been here before 1630. We will never leave.

I have found that one tends to make the place you live pleasant (or not) by your own efforts and attitude. True- liberals and democrats have destroyed some areas of the US, like a plague of locusts. However, in MANY red areas, there is very affordable living, cheap housing, nice scenery, and nice people.

If you don't like where you are living, work to change it. The problem is that too many people expect others to "do something" and improve a locale, while they themselves do nothing. Libs think that "doing something" is protesting and attacking the edifice of western civilization. They do not create or improve an area- only destroy.

I am a physician, but find the most pleasure in spending time on my farm, making and producing things. There comes a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment by growing food, improving the land, and building things. I improve the soil quality via cover crops and terraces, raise bees and apples, build stone buildings, make moonshine, and restore woodies in my shop there. A productive life brings peace and a sense of achievement, which is far removed from wanton consumerism.

When people complain about one location or another, nine times out of ten, THEY are the problem, not the location- bad attitude, lack of initiative, or lack of creative thinking. Moving never helps these people, because they are the problem, which they always fail to realize due to lack of introspection. "You see no matter what you do, you'll never run away from you"!

There will ALWAYS be good parts of the US- those are areas where the liberals avoid and thus remain nice places to live.
Liberals vs conservatives, left vs right, red state vs blue state, Democrat vs Republican..... what difference does it make? Things are getting worse everyday, regardless if who is in charge.

Old 05-02-2024, 01:21 PM

30,594 posts, read 19,319,171 times
Quote:
Give it a try, your choices seem odd to me but everybody should go where they're treated best and I have a few places that I would choose over the US if not for family that I feel happier in while there. I'm now in a situation with 2 sons and 4 grandsons within 10 minutes of my place and I see them most days, hard to beat that.

I don't care if you're from the right, left, center, or neutral politically, if you want to leave or try another place, I say do it, why not?

Old 05-02-2024, 01:27 PM

6,597 posts, read 12,105,374 times
Quote:
America started its sharp, terminal decline circa 1970. We are now in the final stages of that decline.
I feel like it peaked in the 1990's and then started it's downhill spiral in the late 2000's/early 2010's.

The most happy I was in my life was the three years I was living in Japan, although it was with the US Navy and not working for a Japanese company. I don't think I could handle the Japanese work culture, so the EU might suit me better for that.

I'm also the type that likes to stick to what I know, even if I'm unhappy with it because I'll never know what I could get myself into and regret my decisions.

Old 05-02-2024, 01:36 PM

146 posts, read 88,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Then you haven't traveled very far. America is the best in the world... for money... and job opportunity. You can make money in America with your eyes closed.

For wokeness, divisive society, schools, crime, healthcare, college expenses, health, taxes, housing, infrastructure, etc. plenty of countries beat it. New Zealand, Australia, Netherlands, Finland, etc. are a good example.

Most people don't leave America because why leave a place where you can make money, even at the cost of crappy schools, high crime, expensive healthcare, wokeness, and failing infrastructure? Hell, rich white residents are incorporating their own separate cities to split from poorer neighborhoods so they can stay in America.

Money keeps Americans in America, it always has and it always will. America will never be #1 on any list of the best place to live, only on the best place to make money.
I've visited several Asian countries, and it's always refreshing to see mainly healthy, non-obese people out in public, clean public transportation, and not having to worry about someone shooting me.

Old 05-02-2024, 01:36 PM

25,975 posts, read 12,977,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Are you having negative experiences out in the world or is it more about turmoil you're seeing online? Taking a break from the internet for a while may give you a different perspective.
I disconnected the cable tv cord 10+ yrs ago, & have felt happier ever since. I watch tv maybe 10x/yr..

I find the internet to be a lot better, since I have more choice, & flexibility...but too much of this forum can be a downer.

I don't know where the OP lives, but when I moved away from a huge crowded metro of 6.2M, to a metro w/ 833k, I felt much better. I hate crowds, heavy traffic, & high population density....too stressful.

I'd like to see the OP make some changes here first, before leaving for a 3rd World country far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies