Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 01:38 PM

34,269 posts, read 18,649,724 times

Advertisements

I'm staying, but this country is broken and no amount of government spending will fix it.

Old 05-02-2024, 01:42 PM

4,254 posts, read 2,480,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I feel like it peaked in the 1990's and then started it's downhill spiral in the late 2000's/early 2010's.

The most happy I was in my life was the three years I was living in Japan, although it was with the US Navy and not working for a Japanese company. I don't think I could handle the Japanese work culture, so the EU might suit me better for that.

I'm also the type that likes to stick to what I know, even if I'm unhappy with it because I'll never know what I could get myself into and regret my decisions.
Japan is a lot better than the US, but they have a problem with social isolation too. Maybe not quite as bad as the US right now, but still pretty bad. I want to go somewhere social life still exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I'm staying, but this country is broken and no amount of government spending will fix it.
Lol, the first step to healing this broken country would be to abolish the government, or at least to muzzle and de-claw it.

Old 05-02-2024, 01:43 PM

45,558 posts, read 60,809,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangchin213 View Post
I've visited several Asian countries, and it's always refreshing to see mainly healthy, non-obese people out in public, clean public transportation, and not having to worry about someone shooting me.
That phrase always intrigues me. I'm around a lot of people who own firearms, and do myself, and I rarely worry about that. Just about the only time I do it's because I'm in Baltimore having to drive through areas that are less than optimal, and even then it's more of a situational awareness on what's around me than a "worry".

So, where do you live, or what are you doing, that you worry all the time about being shot?

Old 05-02-2024, 01:58 PM

7,494 posts, read 6,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
I am aware of this. At this point, I would rather deal with the problems over there, than deal with this horrifically polarized, isolated, and joyless society over here...
Have you even been out of the USA?

Old 05-02-2024, 01:58 PM

146 posts, read 88,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That phrase always intrigues me. I'm around a lot of people who own firearms, and do myself, and I rarely worry about that. Just about the only time I do it's because I'm in Baltimore having to drive through areas that are less than optimal, and even then it's more of a situational awareness on what's around me than a "worry".

So, where do you live, or what are you doing, that you worry all the time about being shot?
Well, not in general, but it's mainly being around a certain group of people in public who are known for violence where that's a concern. I've had 3 instances in public where I was concerned for my personal safety, and in all 3 of those instances, the person who made me feel unsafe belonged to that group of people. I'm just being honest.

Old 05-02-2024, 02:08 PM

30,581 posts, read 19,310,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangchin213 View Post
I've visited several Asian countries, and it's always refreshing to see mainly healthy, non-obese people out in public, clean public transportation, and not having to worry about someone shooting me.
True, I worked in China and S. Korea when they had very few obese people and I was always struck by just how many obese we have in the USA as soon as I got back. I also felt super safe in Seoul and Shanghai when I worked there.

Old 05-02-2024, 02:12 PM

4,254 posts, read 2,480,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
True, I worked in China and S. Korea when they had very few obese people and I was always struck by just how many obese we have in the USA as soon as I got back. I also felt super safe in Seoul and Shanghai when I worked there.
Koreans are also much better dressed than Americans. Americans all look like poor slobs.

Old 05-02-2024, 02:13 PM

3,303 posts, read 3,960,171 times
Buh, bye.

Old 05-02-2024, 02:22 PM

4,544 posts, read 6,820,790 times
Quote:
Without the Almighty Dollar, America would be one of the worst countries in the world. I do not think Americans realize just how cruel, twisted, mean-spirited, and bloodthirsty their society has become. I mean, how many other countries have large segments of their population fantasizing about a civil war?
I have experienced none of the issues you describe on a widespread basis in any of the places I live and/or frequent. Maybe you just need to explore some different areas of the United States. I have not experienced "large segments of the population fantasizing about a civil war." I have met/seen a few people who have parroted back inflammatory and/or extreme statements that they heard on TV or social media. Most of those people who are agitated have their own issues to deal with and are looking to blame it on someone or something else.

It is my experience that there is more good than bad in the world and that it is important to live in a place where you can interact with all different types of people. If the situation deteriorated where I lived then I would find a new place to reside that was a better fit. The US is quite expansive and diverse. There is no need to leave the country for a fresh start.

Old 05-02-2024, 02:22 PM

30,581 posts, read 19,310,005 times
Quote:
Koreans are also much better dressed than Americans. Americans all look like poor slobs.
Koreans dress nice, they often have nose jobs, etc. for appearance, and the women spend a lot on hair and facial products to appear sharp. I lived in Gangnum-Gu, so maybe not the best way to judge the country as a whole. The best suit I have in my closet is a custom suit I had made in Seoul. My generalization is that Koreans and Japanese have a similar culture but the Koreans are much more focused on appearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.