Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 04:41 AM

1,436 posts, read 769,090 times

Advertisements

We've travelled a lot and there are a good number of countries I could be happy living in, but I don't think they're better than the US by any means. Our key to happiness is to stay the hell away from big cities, regardless of the country. Traffic, crowds, noise, light pollution that keeps me from seeing the night sky, all those things are the poison. We just moved to rural Virginia and it's awesome.

Old 05-02-2024, 04:43 AM

4,239 posts, read 2,476,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Where are you going?

I have posted this in your previous thread, this is another kind reminder that grass might not be greener on the other side.

In Germany at least, I think the most unhappy people are Americans who had unrealistic expectations about foreign country.

If you are unhappy here in the United States, I doubt you could find true happiness elsewhere. I said this millions times, your experience as a traveler and your experience as an immigrant might be completely different.

So think it over and plan well. Whatever you do, good luck .
I am looking at either Mombasa or Kisumu, Kenya, as a primary option, and Tanzania as a secondary option. I am well aware that the grass might not be greener. I will take that risk. I have been watching videos of a YouTuber lately who has the same dislike for living in America as I do. He has traveled extensively to many different countries and has confirmed that life is indeed much better elsewhere (including in Kenya. In fact, Kenya is this guy's favorite country out of the ones he has been to).

Everytime I go out, it is as if things get a little worse. American society is becoming more atomized, polarized, isolated, mean-spirited, sadistic, could, untrustworthy, corrupted, obese, disgusting...... by the day. We will probably have a civil war soon, before 2030, that will completely and totally rip what is left of this country to shreds. No, nothing will ever get better, and it is best to get off this fast sinking ship.

I am at the point in my life where I really need to try something drastic, otherwise the negative feelings and emotions might just overwhelm me, pull me under.

Last edited by Taggerung; 05-02-2024 at 05:00 AM..

Old 05-02-2024, 04:50 AM

30,541 posts, read 19,295,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Where are you going?

I have posted this in your previous thread, this is another kind reminder that grass might not be greener on the other side.

In Germany at least, I think the most unhappy people are Americans who had unrealistic expectations about foreign country.

If you are unhappy here in the United States, I doubt you could find true happiness elsewhere. I said this millions times, your experience as a traveler and your experience as an immigrant might be completely different.

So think it over and plan well. Whatever you do, good luck .
You make a great point, no matter where you go, you're still there. For the most part, happiness is a decision and mindset.

Old 05-02-2024, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
You make a great point, no matter where you go, you're still there. For the most part, happiness is a decision and mindset.
Absolutely false. If happiness were a "decision," then why does depression even exist at all? Who the hell would 'choose' to be chronically sad?

Old 05-02-2024, 04:57 AM

30,541 posts, read 19,295,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Absolutely false. If happiness were a "decision," then why does depression even exist at all? Who the hell would 'choose' to be chronically sad?
Well for me at least that's been the case, I'm almost never depressed and don't understand people that are. But I guess you're probably correct that there are clinically depressed people but I doubt a move will change that, it needs to be addressed by diet IMO.

Old 05-02-2024, 05:13 AM

29,605 posts, read 14,742,545 times
Quote:
America is only good for consumerism- and I am not into consumerism. Money- beyond what you need to cover the basics, has diminishing returns. Excess money is just the icing on the cake, not the cake itself. America is a terribly isolating place- and if you are living an isolated life, you will quickly find that having an overflowing bank account means nothing.
Sudan probably doesn't have much consumerism, and for whatever money you've managed to accrue, you can probably live a basic life pretty cheap there.

Old 05-02-2024, 05:14 AM

39,310 posts, read 27,692,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Exactly. That's why they say true happiness comes from within.

I think of it as a romantic relationship. If you are a person with lots emotional baggage, no one would make you happy anyway. Changing partners won't solve the problems.

Old 05-02-2024, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Sudan probably doesn't have much consumerism, and for whatever money you've managed to accrue, you can probably live a basic life pretty cheap there.
Yeah... that place is not exactly friendly to foreigners.... LOL.

Old 05-02-2024, 05:21 AM

29,605 posts, read 14,742,545 times
Quote:
Depression is an illness, one that people can't just choose whether or not to have it.

Old 05-02-2024, 05:46 AM

7,979 posts, read 9,191,944 times
What makes you think another country would want you? What do you bring to the table? An unemployed miser doesnt really offer much.

From reading your posts over the years, maybe you need an antidepressant more than a plane ticket?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies