Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 06:53 AM

34,262 posts, read 18,641,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Everything here feels incredibly "off," and it is becoming intolerable. Right now, the accumulated filth of American culture, politics, and society is finally starting to clog the drains.
It feels "off" because we remember when it was "on", working, with the real, important issues on most people's minds. Prosperity, innovation, security, family, faith, education.

Now, it's a sewer of leftist, Marxist lies and propaganda.

Old 05-02-2024, 07:02 AM

24,567 posts, read 17,321,260 times
You are Free to leave if you want.

I know someone that actually made good on her pledge to leave America if Trump was elected. She was back in 2 years and just in time for Covid. She still HATES Trump and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets in again that she will leave for good.

What is ironic is that the people that are making America difficult to live in are the same people that promised us that they would unite the country and deliver us a Utopia. They LIED.

If you do move OP. let us know where you land.

Old 05-02-2024, 07:02 AM

14,005 posts, read 5,660,375 times
Well, starting off, there are only 16 countries in the world ranked higher than the US on the combo of Personal and Economic freedom: Libertarian Countries 2024

From that list, you'd need to examine their immigration laws, their cost of living relative to your stored wealth and ability to generate income, language/culture barriers, and lifestyle compromises/alterations.

For me, New Zealand and Ireland are the most probable landing spots if I were legitimately considering bailing on the US, knowing full well the compromise I'd make on both cost of living and gun laws. But the reality of the world is this - while the US is increasingly insane, so too is the rest of the world, and relatively, it is still better to lament the insanity while living in the US than just about anywhere else.

Honestly, if I were to throw in the towel on the whole thing, I'd get a 40-45' monohull, bank the rest of my resources to handle the cost of 100% live aboard, and be a US citizen literally in name only (what flag I fly on my boat). 12 miles out to sea, the tyranny is negligible, and the only masters you serve are the ocean and survival. That said, more personal freedom than just existing within the US requires personal sacrifice and increase in individual effort and responsibility. It ain't for everyone.

Old 05-02-2024, 07:10 AM

20,169 posts, read 20,953,859 times
Unfortunately most of the world is a poop sandwich right now. The US as messed up as it is right now is still probably better than most of the places you can run away to. You’re basically trading one set of problems for another. And unlike the US, most other countries do enforce their borders and immigration policies so good luck with that. There are still places to run and hide in the US if you want to get away from the majority of the nonsense.
You gotta be able live a rural lifestyle though.

Old 05-02-2024, 07:11 AM

59,313 posts, read 27,477,308 times
Quote:
Well, I have been flirting with this idea for several months now, but I think I have just about made up my mind. It is time for me to leave. America is truly a terrible country for everything except making money. I have not one nice thing to say about America or its people. Once I accumulate enough resources, I'm gone.
So!

Old 05-02-2024, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
My experiences lead me to a similar conclusion, though I express it in a negative.

I have in lived in some 15 countries across three continents, including Europe, and every other country has worse problems than the US. So while not the best, it is the least worse.

During the mortgage debacle of the late 2000s (what?), somebody used the expression ‘least dirty shirt’ when comparing the US to the rest of the world. I find it useful in describing reality.

But if the OP needs to leave, then leave, it’s okay.
"I have in lived in some 15 countries across three continents, including Europe, and every other country has worse problems than the US. So while not the best, it is the least worse."

Some believe in the"the grass is greener in....."!

Old 05-02-2024, 07:14 AM

14,005 posts, read 5,660,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
There are still places to run and hide in the US if you want to get away from the majority of the nonsense.

You gotta be able live a rural lifestyle though.
This is the bottom line to increasing one's personal freedom, sense of safety/survival, etc.

To decrease society's effect on you, you have to roll up your sleeves and increase your individual contribution to your own hierarchy of needs. Rural, off-grid, at sea, etc. Lots of ways to reduce Leviathan's (or their insane minions) reach into your existence, but you're gonna have to put in work to keep it going.

Old 05-02-2024, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Without the Almighty Dollar, America would be one of the worst countries in the world. I do not think Americans realize just how cruel, twisted, mean-spirited, and bloodthirsty their society has become. I mean, how many other countries have large segments of their population fantasizing about a civil war?
Don't let the door hit you in the rump on the way out!

Old 05-02-2024, 07:19 AM

19,719 posts, read 12,293,256 times
How many different places have you lived within the US?

Old 05-02-2024, 07:20 AM

18,186 posts, read 15,766,591 times
There are people who talk-talk-talk

And there are people who simply do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies