Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 04:38 PM

51,520 posts, read 37,195,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
for a place that relies so heavily on tourism....

...this is not a good look

you would think they wouldn't be this blatantly stupid
They (there are at least 5 Americans that have been charged, 1 served almost 6 months and is home, the other 4 are on bail awaiting their hearing) violated their law, why are they stupid for not giving them special treatment? You’re calling them stupid for holding people to their laws equally. Isn’t that how it should be? I’m sure their sentences will be much less than locals charged with the same crime though, as the man from Indiana who served the six months demonstrates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Can't help but wonder if this attitude carries over to those stopped in JFK flying in from - say, Amsterdam - who forgot to take the chunk of cannabis out of their bag?
I’m sure it does. I’m not sure what you mean by attitude. If you break a law flying prohibited substances you’re going to get busted. It’s not up to interpretation or whether the guys in a good mood or not. It could happen just as easily flying back to Florida from New Jersey with pot bought here legally. That person would be arrested because it’s illegal to fly with. It has nothing to do with whether you’re coming from a foreign country or not.

It’s also illegal to fly with bullets in your carry-on in the US, but apparently airport security is better in Turks and Caicos‘s than it is in the US, because TSA missed it on multiple occasions.

Old 05-04-2024, 08:06 PM

47,105 posts, read 26,237,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I’m sure it does. I’m not sure what you mean by attitude.
Seemed like Corrie22 was implying that T&C should go easy on tourists for economical or image reasons. I was comparing and contrasting with the US practice as regards contraband.

I think you and I agree that it's basic common sense to check that you're not carrying marijuana into the US, nor bullets to T&C.

Old 05-04-2024, 08:23 PM

47,105 posts, read 26,237,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
TSA confiscated over 6,000 firearms at checkpoints and over 90% were loaded, people are extremely careless. I have no sympathy.
Heh. So, I have a story...

I was for boring and irrelevant reasons invited to an LAPD lieutenant's retirement party. (Go if you get the chance. These guys party. Anyway...)

Our lieutenant was being roasted by an FBI agent he'd been liaising with - they'd both been ordered to Europe (I think Bulgaria) to work with Interpol on a human smuggling case. So they meet at LAX, line up for TSA and our LAPD guy asks, as they approach the counters:

- "So - you guys have a process for this, right?"
- "Huh?"
- "You know, for the TSA. To get, y'know - <gestures to left armpit> through. Right?"
- <lightbulb goes on for the FBI guy> "You did not. Tell me you did not. Please."
- "Umm..."
- "Men's room. Now."

Yes, our LAPD lieutenant had planned to travel to Europe with his firearm on his person. So they had to frantically call whichever wife was willing to drive back to LAX (and she was apparently furious), get the weapon and holster wrapped up in something that totally didn't look like a firearm, and meet with said (furious, to recap) wife to hand it over. Then run like madmen thorough LAX to try to make their flight. Which they did.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Old 05-04-2024, 10:43 PM

50,696 posts, read 47,553,788 times
Quote:

I was for boring and irrelevant reasons invited to an LAPD lieutenant's retirement party. (Go if you get the chance. These guys party. Anyway...)

Our lieutenant was being roasted by an FBI agent he'd been liaising with - they'd both been ordered to Europe (I think Bulgaria) to work with Interpol on a human smuggling case. So they meet at LAX, line up for TSA and our LAPD guy asks, as they approach the counters:

- "Huh?"
- "You know, for the TSA. To get, y'know - <gestures to left armpit> through. Right?"
- <lightbulb goes on for the FBI guy> "You did not. Tell me you did not. Please."
- "Umm..."
- "Men's room. Now."

Yes, our LAPD lieutenant had planned to travel to Europe with his firearm on his person. So they had to frantically call whichever wife was willing to drive back to LAX (and she was apparently furious), get the weapon and holster wrapped up in something that totally didn't look like a firearm, and meet with said (furious, to recap) wife to hand it over. Then run like madmen thorough LAX to try to make their flight. Which they did.

And people would say he deserved what he got cause, you know, it's their laws. No good deed, or mindless move goes unpunished.

Old 05-04-2024, 10:46 PM

50,696 posts, read 47,553,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
When you go to the store to buy bullets, do you always buy a gun for it at the same time, or do you buy ammo for a gun you already have?
That's a rhetorical question; I'm just pointing out that your post is kind of dumb.

Look at it from the police point of view. If he brought ammunition into the country, it may have been for a relative who already had a gun hidden away but needed ammunition for that specific gun. It might not be a drug cartel, but just someone whose brother was from the US who could get stuff and sneak it in. But that's Still a big deal to the police

And again, the American got caught while leaving with 4 loose cartridges. The police don't assume that's all that he brought into the country, but they do want to find out for sure.
I don't buy ammo. I make it. So your post is kind of dumb. I even make ammo for weapons I do not own but plan on in the future. Mind blowing isn't it. 4 rounds lmao. I guess if it was a hit at best.

Can someone please sneak me in 4 rounds of 6.5 PRC because we want to shoot someone. You can make your own ammo. Pretty much every Country without no one knowing it. It takes empty brass you can find anywhere, a primer, powder and a projectile. It's like rocket surgery.

I'll pay your entire trip if you bring me 4 rounds of 30-06 ammo, just play stupid. Even throw in a few grand for ya for your efforts.

So who's post was dumb? You don't need a gun to have ammo. You don't need ammo to have a gun. You don't need fuel for any car/plane to have one. You can have fuel without having a car. Logic sir. Sometime you see the memes that just make themselves.

He had no gun but 4 rounds of ammo. Sirens going off. He had fertilizer so he obviously was planning on getting diesel and blowing something up. He rented a U haul so we better keep an eye on him.

You can buy a simple reloading setup for like 15 dollars US. It will be slow but you can. Pretty sure they can ship these parts anywhere in the world. Most people look at it and think it is car parts.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 05-04-2024 at 11:17 PM..

Old 05-05-2024, 01:45 AM

13,634 posts, read 7,585,305 times
What a contrast of opinions compared to Brittney Griner thread

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...d-russian.html

Old 05-05-2024, 05:29 AM

19,331 posts, read 17,292,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
What a contrast of opinions compared to Brittney Griner thread

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...d-russian.html
Good example, people need to realize that our rights and freedoms do not apply when visiting another country...

Old 05-05-2024, 05:35 AM

12,532 posts, read 8,309,399 times
Quote:

- "Huh?"
- "Umm..."
- "Men's room. Now."

You would think the airport police would provide some professional courtesy to their LAPD backup and secure the Lieutenant's weapons.

Last edited by Taiko; 05-05-2024 at 05:48 AM..

Old 05-05-2024, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Seemed like Corrie22 was implying that T&C should go easy on tourists for economical or image reasons. I was comparing and contrasting with the US practice as regards contraband.

I think you and I agree that it's basic common sense to check that you're not carrying marijuana into the US, nor bullets to T&C.
Reminds me of when my bff went to Cancun in our 20’s. We lost those cards you fill out saying what your purpose of traveling there is (no one told us it was important lol, we thought it was a customer survey). They were going to take us to the embassy and my friend whispers to me “I have pot in my underwear”. Luckily we found them after empty our suitcases on the airport floor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies