Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 02:23 PM

26,238 posts, read 22,415,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Should a POTUS get involved with every infraction an American makes in a foreign country? Should the law be ignored because the offense was just minor and just let it go? Laws don’t work that way. Break em get caught, especially in a foreign country, your gonna at least be detained and have to walk through the circumstances you created until you’re clear of it.
I can't stand Biden, but I don't think this is on him. I dislike the ones playing "my kids", as they were not vacationing with the kids, and had just been on a hunting expedition. Hopefully, the kids will grow up to follow rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Oooh! Bullets. Scary!

Firearm rounds are as worthless as paperweights without a weapon that they fit into.

I understand he made a mistake, and broke the law. Some punishment is appropriate. But 12 years in prison?

T&C should tread carefully here. How much of their economy is dependent on American tourist dollars? They'd be foolish to put these guys in jail.
Did they enter the country with even more? Maybe they were marketing them, as they would be worth quite a bite, and these people seem to have money to spend that many do not. If they didn't read the travel advisories, they are stupid, and you know what they say "Can't fix stupid." Also, having these and forgetting about them, where they had put them, with children...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Go into any foreign country with illegal ammunition, firearms or drugs and it's your responsibility, the charges can be rather harsh. If there was presidential intervention for every American charged overseas it would be a full time job. I recall the ex-soldier that drove into Mexico with several guns in his car and they blamed Obama for not intervening.

Besides, he hasn't even been sentenced yet, but you're already blaming Biden. This is the responsibility of our embassy and the state department, there are a few more important things to address than the irresponsible fool with bullets in his luggage.
Again, Biden is a loser, but this isn't his fight. We don't know why they were carrying the ammunition. I am sure it would bring a good price there with the restrictions, maybe enough to pay for their trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Or apply rule #1 : do not travel abroad with ammo. Problem solved, travel greatly simplified. Lol.
You'd think! And, "family man" is stupid and shouldn't have ammunition and weapons at all if he can't keep track of where they are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2024, 02:31 PM

22,068 posts, read 25,443,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
All the articles I've seen say ?mandatory minimum of UP TO 12 years, not mandatory minimum of 12 years. The last American sentenced got 6 months.
https://bs.usembassy.gov/travel-aler...aicos-islands/

Old 05-03-2024, 02:38 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 25 days ago)

36,139 posts, read 18,424,220 times
This article states it was a BOX of ammo, and he didn't discover it the whole trip. It was discovered when he tried to leave the Islands.

I believe that's true, but holy cow. How forgetful and unobservant do you have to be? I agree with Tamajane upthread, the lesson is have your wife check your stuff before you vacation.

https://abc7ny.com/bryan-hagerich-ma...20and%20Caicos.

Old 05-03-2024, 02:38 PM

22,068 posts, read 25,443,408 times
Quote:
The TSA on our end should have caught it, but missed it in all these cases. If they had done their job thoroughly, these men wouldn't be where they are.
Best not to depend on an overpaid and overworked TSA employee to catch in a 15 second search what you miss in the multiple days you have to pack your bags for vacation.

Old 05-03-2024, 02:41 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 25 days ago)

36,139 posts, read 18,424,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Best not to depend on an overpaid and overworked TSA employee to catch in a 15 second search what you miss in the multiple days you have to pack your bags for vacation.
This is a checked bag, which is only searched randomly. It's not like carry on, where there is more security.

Old 05-03-2024, 02:46 PM

4,047 posts, read 1,923,233 times
Why would TSA catch it? You're allowed to transport Ammo in your luggage. They didn't catch it because they're mainly not looking for it, nor should they.

For those saying "bullets don't work without a gun." Great.

But if you're a Bad Guy on the island WITH A GUN - but you need bullets - where will you get them? I have an idea - from dumb Americans. You can offer cash for them to bring a box in their luggage.

I mean, pretty clearly, ANYONE with bullets has smuggled them in somehow, right? No need to bring a gun if it's already there.

Some of you people have no imagination!

Old 05-03-2024, 03:07 PM

27,672 posts, read 13,872,508 times
Quote:
They (there are 4 Americans there) aren't going to get 12 years. It's just like here where the media uses the max sentence in the headline even if it's obvious the person isn't going to get that sentence. The last American found guilty of it in got 6 months.

Exactly.

What will happen is the Courts will look at any mitigating circumstances which will include the fact that this was accidental and there was no intent to break the law or engage in violent activity, as well as the fact that the individuals are (I assume) of good character. Once these type of factors are taken in to consideration any possible sentence will be significantly reduced.

Whilst I have some sympathy for these individuals, it's a good idea to thoroughly check your bags and to make sure you do not have prohibited items when travelling to other countries, where they may have very different laws.

Old 05-03-2024, 03:13 PM

4,289 posts, read 2,617,318 times
Biden doing nothing? Who knows what is going on behind the scenes to help this man who broke the law either through ignorance, neglect or both. That's the risk of traveling overseas; take it or leave it. By now the embassy is involved, the State Dept. and most likely the British Embassy in DC and the American Embassy in London. It's not up to them to broadcast their goings on.

He will be tried under their laws which is based on English common law as they are a British Overseas Territory. In the end, after all local courts are exhausted, there may be is a final appeal to the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council in the UK. However, this is a criminal case and there are hoops to jump through. They can't be expected to turn their system inside out for this. https://www.jcpc.uk/about/role-of-th...tical%20courts.

Old 05-03-2024, 03:35 PM

51,518 posts, read 37,195,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post

Maybe they put it that way to make sure Americans are scared enough to check their bags, because everything else says "potential" 12 years or "up to", and the American already sentenced got 6 months:

"Watson is one of several Americans who have been detained in the territory in recent months under similar circumstances. Michael Grim from Indiana served almost six months in prison after pleading guilty to having ammunition in his checked bag."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/turks-a...facetime-kids/

Old 05-03-2024, 03:40 PM

51,518 posts, read 37,195,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Why would TSA catch it? You're allowed to transport Ammo in your luggage. They didn't catch it because they're mainly not looking for it, nor should they.

For those saying "bullets don't work without a gun." Great.

But if you're a Bad Guy on the island WITH A GUN - but you need bullets - where will you get them? I have an idea - from dumb Americans. You can offer cash for them to bring a box in their luggage.

I mean, pretty clearly, ANYONE with bullets has smuggled them in somehow, right? No need to bring a gun if it's already there.

Some of you people have no imagination!

Not in carry on bags.

"One of the big questions in this situation is how their luggage got through TSA security stateside without the ammunition being detected. Watson flew out of Oklahoma City, Hagerich left from Pittsburgh.

"I certainly do wish it was found in Pittsburgh. Obviously, I think it'd probably be a little bit different scenario right now," Hagerich said.
"Carried it on in Oklahoma City. That bag went through the scanner," said Watson. "Nothing was flagged or detected there."

On Thursday, the Transportation Security Administration told NBC10 Boston it was aware of an incident in Turks and Caicos Islands involving a U.S. citizen and was conducting a review at the Will Rogers World Airport in Oklahoma, the originating airport. On Friday, a representative confirmed that ammunition was not detected in a bag at the airport, sharing this statement:

TSA takes its security mission very seriously. TSA can confirm that four rounds of ammunition were not detected in the traveler’s bag during security screening at Will Rogers World Airport (OKC), which was the originating airport. Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on bags and passengers are responsible for the contents of their luggage.

TSA is here to protect our transportation security systems, and an oversight occurred that the agency is addressing internally. We encourage passengers to start packing with an empty bag, and when traveling internationally, to be cognizant of local laws. For additional information, please contact the State Department and law enforcement officials in Turks.

https://www.nbcboston.com/investigat...rests/3350419/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies