Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM

50,423 posts, read 47,155,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
One of the four Americans had twenty rounds. How do you miss twenty rounds?

The thing is I know of people who are this careless and it gets them in trouble. It's not really ok though. If they tend to forget or ignore things, they should try to find someone that can act as a kind of backup and make sure they don't mess up this badly.

I agree with the idea of a dedicated travel bag. I would worry about ever having ammunition in a bag I was taking for travel. Maybe dogs could still smell it, then you might get pulled and detained. Why take the chance of trouble when it's so easy to avoid.
That does make sense in our world today. Keep luggage just for places like this. Also, don't put ammo in any clothes either. I have found old ammo I like to keep on display and put it in a pocket. I once found an old rimfire large caliber while looking for arrowheads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM

18,499 posts, read 8,326,452 times
for a place that relies so heavily on tourism....

...this is not a good look

you would think they wouldn't be this blatantly stupid

Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM

27,233 posts, read 13,527,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Your anger is misplaced.

I don’t care if someone takes a bullet into a country, but the country does.

Therefore, don’t do it.

I don’t care if someone brings in a gram of coke either, but countries do.

So don’t do it. It’s your responsibility to not bring in stuff that can land you in jail, whether you agree with it or not.

I don’t agree with the war on drugs but I’m not going to protest it by bringing illegal substances into the US, what do you think would happen to me if I did?

It’s not up to the airlines or the airport security to make sure I don’t accidentally forget the baggie of blow in my purse from the other night’s hen party and fly to Thailand with it.

It's also worth noting that similar cases in recent years have not resulted in 12 years in prison, and in reality "there have been five separate cases within a two-year period where the Supreme Court of the islands found exceptional circumstances: four of the offenders were fined and one was given a custodial sentence below the mandatory minimum."

The latter custodial sentence relating to American Michael Grim who received an 8 month prison sentence (not 12 years) for mistakenly bringing ammunition in to the country in a bag, however 4 other individuals were just issued a fine, so it all depends on the type of exceptional circumstances presented to the court.

Exceptional circumstances are almost certain to be applied in the cases of Ryan Watson and Bryan Hagerich, and any other Americans involved.

The 12 years minimum sentence is just media hype, and although 8 months is a significant amount of time, at least American Michael Grim lived to tell the tale.

I suspect other countries such as Russia, China, Iran, North Korea and numerous other countries across the world would have imposed far harsher penalties for a similar offence involving an American citizen and could have linked such an offence to further charges related to potential espionage/spying or even terrorism offences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC Boston (24th April 2024)

And the Turks and Caicos Attorney General and the Director of Public Prosecutions issued a statement Wednesday saying the islands’ firearm ordinance “requires the Supreme Court to impose a mandatory minimum sentence and fine for certain firearm offenses, except in circumstances where the court finds that there are exceptional circumstances.”

The statement went on to add that there have been five separate cases within a two-year period where the Supreme Court of the islands found exceptional circumstances: only four of the offenders were fined and one was given a custodial sentence below the mandatory minimum.

Grim’s eight-month sentence was below the mandatory minimum of 12 years in prison.

The director of public prosecutions said in their statement, “8 firearms and ammunitions prosecutions in total were done involving tourists from the United States, 3 of which are currently before the court with each of the defendants on bail.”

Mother's warning after son's 8-month Turks and Caicos prison sentence: ‘It's not behind us'- NBC Boston (24th April 2024)

Last edited by Brave New World; Yesterday at 09:31 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM

19,271 posts, read 17,138,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post

This law has been in place and a State Department warnings issued, and this is their country. It would appear that Americans are the only ones who are stupid enough to have loose ammunition in their bags accidental or otherwise.

Last edited by VA Yankee; Yesterday at 09:26 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM

18,499 posts, read 8,326,452 times
stupid....stupid.....stupid

they even admit it.....” “requires the Supreme Court to impose a mandatory minimum sentence and fine for certain firearm offenses, except in circumstances where the court finds that there are exceptional circumstances.”......what does that "exceptional circumstance" cost?

it's just another money maker for these crooked little shysters

Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM

2,035 posts, read 1,322,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Please show me scholar, a bullet that can fire without a firearm.

You are ok with that? That's all we need to know, kangaroo court. YOU had a bullet. Oh the terror of looking at a bullet. Terrifying. It's so pointy and well small. Yet no gun. How about we improve our system for flying so accidently doing something is not prison while I can steal 999 bucks of stuff from target..

3rd world. want to keep going? I realize the problems they have with violence but a bullet ain't one of them but some of you gun haters are ok with that which, to me is F'd squared.
When you go to the store to buy bullets, do you always buy a gun for it at the same time, or do you buy ammo for a gun you already have?
That's a rhetorical question; I'm just pointing out that your post is kind of dumb.

Look at it from the police point of view. If he brought ammunition into the country, it may have been for a relative who already had a gun hidden away but needed ammunition for that specific gun. It might not be a drug cartel, but just someone whose brother was from the US who could get stuff and sneak it in. But that's Still a big deal to the police

And again, the American got caught while leaving with 4 loose cartridges. The police don't assume that's all that he brought into the country, but they do want to find out for sure.

Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM

47,010 posts, read 26,062,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post

Can't help but wonder if this attitude carries over to those stopped in JFK flying in from - say, Amsterdam - who forgot to take the chunk of cannabis out of their bag?

Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM

47,010 posts, read 26,062,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Please show me scholar, a bullet that can fire without a firearm.
"Drug paraphernalia" will get you arrested in the US.

Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM

19,688 posts, read 12,270,002 times
It is cringe when Americans who already have a reputation as bad tourists do things like this. I think firearms owners have a higher level of responsibility because it is so important to be responsible with guns and ammunition. People who are reckless, careless, point loaded or unloaded guns, toss ammunition around, don't store or care for their guns/ammo properly, don't follow hunting laws, etc. shouldn't even own guns and they give gun owners in general a poor reputation.

Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM

57,387 posts, read 26,302,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
No they are not. We don't like firearms owners who are careless. Or travelers who don't respect the laws of the countries they visit.
Many careless gun owners right here in the US, we are saturated with guns an ammunition so it’s not surprising that this behavior carries over to foreign travel. The complete recklessness is absurd, hard to believe they are adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies