Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 01:36 PM

45,738 posts, read 27,361,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Updating the grid is an estimated $21 Trillion project. Moving a few shells around isn’t going to do it.
If we could trust government to be committed to it, I believe the people wouldn't necessarily mind taking the hit to the debt for that.

Old 05-03-2024, 01:39 PM

1,742 posts, read 633,775 times
All of the money doesn’t have to come from the feds; nor should it. States, utility companies, localities, and consumers can all pitch in. I would rather pay a little extra in utilities for a time knowing that the money is going towards upgrades than to send more money to the federal government that who knows where the money goes.

I think some states must be worse than others, so they can pay more as well. Where I live, I think the infrastructure is in pretty good shape. Much of it underground in some places and it has to be built well to withstand the storms. Texas and California need to get their act together on this.

Old 05-03-2024, 04:49 PM

17,864 posts, read 13,791,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Not global warming... not climate change...

[url="https://abc13.com/smokehouse-creek-wildfire-texas-panhandle-dry-weather-conditions-disaster-declaration/14755873/"][b]Decayed power pole sparked the largest wildfire in state history
So in other words... A rotten power pole "sparked" the largest wildfire in state history that spread all over kingdom come because of the drought conditions brought on by global warming/climate change. Warming that right wingers even admit is happening... but not because of what people are doing.

Now what exactly is your point again?

Old 05-03-2024, 05:33 PM

26,030 posts, read 19,008,428 times
Quote:
Oliver's piece on the power grid was a good overview of the state of things. Large portions of our grid are simply beyond their expected life span.
Oh no, no, no. You don't understand. Our power grid is in top shape and will easily be able to handle the burden it already bears plus every single person in the US driving an EV. Easily. No sweat. That power pole was just fine. It was a Trump supporter who chopped it down with an axe to try to make Biden look bad. The culprit probably likes MTG as well.

Old 05-03-2024, 05:37 PM

26,030 posts, read 19,008,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
So in other words... A rotten power pole "sparked" the largest wildfire in state history that spread all over kingdom come because of the drought conditions brought on by global warming/climate change. Warming that right wingers even admit is happening... but not because of what people are doing.

Now what exactly is your point again?
Here's a graph for you. Note how it goes up and down. And note that it was doing so long before modern man was around.

You "static climate people" are about like flat earthers. Ignoring the obvious.

Old 05-04-2024, 01:48 AM

2,957 posts, read 2,908,824 times
Hey morons, do yourself and neighbors a favor and don't plant trees near the electric lines. Nothing wrong with those line, they last forever, until your stupid tree hits it.

The elephant in the room

Old 05-04-2024, 09:24 AM

4,162 posts, read 2,855,371 times
Poppycock! I was informed right here by our C-D big brains that this was a deliberate attack designed to disrupt our food supply.

Old 05-04-2024, 09:28 AM

37,962 posts, read 17,932,227 times
Quote:
Updating the grid is an estimated $21 Trillion project. Moving a few shells around isn’t going to do it. That’s 3-4 years worth of the entirety of the U.S. annual budget.
That you actually think the fix could be done in 3-4 years is funny. It takes time and trained manpower

Old 05-04-2024, 09:34 AM

37,962 posts, read 17,932,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginwaterland View Post
All of the money doesn’t have to come from the feds; nor should it. States, utility companies, localities, and consumers can all pitch in. I would rather pay a little extra in utilities for a time knowing that the money is going towards upgrades than to send more money to the federal government that who knows where the money goes.

I think some states must be worse than others, so they can pay more as well. Where I live, I think the infrastructure is in pretty good shape. Much of it underground in some places and it has to be built well to withstand the storms. Texas and California need to get their act together on this.
The electric price per KWH was recently bumped up in Texas. Providers Oncor went up 1.18 cents per kWh, and Centerpoint went up 1.74 cents per kWh to get more money for maintenance and infra structure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies