Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 01:32 PM

519 posts, read 278,265 times

Advertisements

Oh my, so many seem to see political payback in so much that is simply the system working.

After my 11 years in the military I worked as a federal executive for over 20 years, had numerous interactions with cabinet members, White House staff, etc., and never once witnessed anything remotely like political payback. I did not agree with all the policy decisions, not even close, but policy and corruption are two very different things.

I did see some questionable actions/judgment on the part of some political appointees ( where they or their friends might "benefit" ..., but nothing criminal. Just questionable judgment. Most everyone I encountered, political appointees or career executives, paid close attention to things like conflict of interest and perception of conflict of interest. The checks and balances work.

I cannot say the same for ( most ) elected officials. Of either party.

Of course it is a symptom of political polarization, to see what we want to see instead of what is there, to attribute motives without any evidence.

Last edited by Upminster-1; 05-03-2024 at 01:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2024, 01:44 PM

45,647 posts, read 27,275,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upminster-1 View Post
Oh my, so many seem to see political payback in so much that is simply the system working.

The problem is the system has two standards of justice.

Play along... you can do anything you want.

Don't play along... anything you have done from the age of 13 and up will be subject to scrutiny - and if you are clean, they will make something up and charge you with a crime.

Old 05-03-2024, 01:48 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,426,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upminster-1 View Post

After my 11 years in the military I worked as a federal executive for over 20 years, had numerous interactions with cabinet members, White House staff, etc., and never once witnessed anything remotely like political payback. I did not agree with all the policy decisions, not even close, but policy and corruption are two very different things.

I did see some questionable actions/judgment on the part of some political appointees ( where they or their friends might "benefit" ..., but nothing criminal. Just questionable judgment. Most everyone I encountered, political appointees or career executives, paid close attention to things like conflict of interest and perception of conflict of interest. The checks and balances work.

I cannot say the same for ( most ) elected officials. Of either party.
Thank you for your insider's perspective. I have no trouble believing that most public servants take the principles of public service seriously, and career public servants care more about their careers than grinding political axes.

Old 05-03-2024, 01:56 PM

17,711 posts, read 6,967,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
Thank you for your insider's perspective. I have no trouble believing that most public servants take the principles of public service seriously, and career public servants care more about their careers than grinding political axes.
That used to be the case until Obama and Biden started weaponizing agencies from the IRS to the FBI to the CIA. It’s simply not true any longer, and there are mountains of evidence to prove it. Just turn on CNN.

Old 05-03-2024, 03:06 PM

23,593 posts, read 17,275,145 times
He, and Menendez from NJ, targeted by corrupt doj for opposing dem policies and getting out of lock step.

Maybe the charges have some merit in one case, but the dems let it go because they needed their support. Betrayal by a democrat punished with prosecution.

Likely how Pelosi kept strict control of the dem party vote. Blackmail!

Can find no other reason a democrat patriot has refused to take a stand against destructive dem policies.

Old 05-03-2024, 03:21 PM

57,400 posts, read 26,310,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
He, and Menendez from NJ, targeted by corrupt doj for opposing dem policies and getting out of lock step.
By golly that must be it.

Old 05-03-2024, 03:24 PM

57,400 posts, read 26,310,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
That used to be the case until Obama and Biden started weaponizing agencies from the IRS to the FBI to the CIA. It’s simply not true any longer, and there are mountains of evidence to prove it. Just turn on CNN.
Take the tin foil hat off, Biden doesn’t control the DOJ and if he did why would he risk losing the senate or house.

Old 05-03-2024, 03:46 PM

519 posts, read 278,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
Likewise. And many also care about the value and efficacy of programs. At least in the cabinet departments I worked in and with.

I should have qualified my earlier statements as being my experience from Nixon through Bush II. Can't speak for after that.

Old 05-03-2024, 03:51 PM

11,867 posts, read 5,843,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Sounds very much like, on a smaller scale, what the Bidens are accused of doing.

Maybe once elected to Congress, many of them think it's perfectly OK to do such things.
Well when you see the big guy getting away with it - you figure nothing will happen if you do it.

Old 05-03-2024, 04:06 PM

2,035 posts, read 1,323,922 times
"From 2014 to 2021, Cuellar, 68, and his wife accepted nearly $600,000 in bribes from an Azerbaijan-controlled energy company and a bank in Mexico, and in exchange, Cuellar agreed to advance the interests of the country and the bank in the U.S., according to the indictment."

This is great news!. I had no idea that Congressman were so affordable. Only $100K a year!

Look forward to some new laws.
Did you see someone walking their dog leave poop on the sidewalk? That's going to be covered under self-defense and stand your ground laws. No warning shot necessary.

Got any great ideas like that? Send them to me and I'll get a gofundme started you can donate to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies