Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:42 AM

3,322 posts, read 1,437,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
This particular study used online IQ tests, which I find questionable, but researchers in other countries using other populations and other testing methods are finding the same results. And they all propose the same causes, which is technology. Full battery IQ tests measure several skill areas, including memory and crystallized knowledge, both of which would be affected by technology. One example would be phone numbers, which is a memory function. When I was a kid, I had a ton of phone numbers memorized. I can still recite my grandma’s phone number, even though she died in 2004. I couldn’t tell you my mothers number though… or the phone number of any of my other family members, because technology remembers them for me, and dials them for me. The same type of thing is happening with crystallized knowledge. Kids arent reading as much as they used to, they arent having to research through encyclopedias like they used to. They arent even watching TV like they used to, and it is all likely affecting IQ scores around the world.

Interesting observation. Almost as if we are not "exercising" or brains enough, and our gray matter is getting a bit flabby. I'm not sure it's exactly analogous, but I know that I rely on google maps now to get pretty much anywhere. Pre cell phones, I had to memorize directions, street names, be more cognizant of where north/south/east/west were, etc. Now, I just follow directions. Similarly, pre-PC's I used to do my taxes manually---I had to have a decent understanding of what I was doing. Now I use TurboTax, and frankly, I am just following the prompts the software provides--I'm far less cognizant of the math/rules than I once was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:48 AM

18,154 posts, read 15,734,758 times
Reading, Writing, Arithmetic.

Cut any of those out of one's (daily) life and replace with hours of entertainment TV/news/games, and I bet IQ suffers.

Old Today, 08:02 AM

27,633 posts, read 28,732,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Kids are getting all their information from online sources. The fact they don't get it from books is immaterial.
Smart people find smart things on the internet.

Stupid people find stupid things on the internet.

The medium itself seems to make no difference.

Old Today, 08:11 AM

17,553 posts, read 39,191,005 times
Only my opinion, but I believe it is a combination of not having to use one's brain to memorize or figure things out anymore, computers do it for you, lack of exercise compared to in the past, and too much food especially of the junk/processed variety.

I am in my 70s, and all through school had to rely only on my BRAIN. No calculators, I memorized and learned to figure out word problems, etc. We also had regular physical education and music and art classes in school. And we ate real food and mostly at home. For my husband, the same.

I honestly don't know how some people are getting by in life - can you imagine if the internet went down? Sometimes I wish it would.....

Old Today, 08:13 AM

89,124 posts, read 44,928,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Smart people find smart things on the internet.

Stupid people find stupid things on the internet.

The medium itself seems to make no difference.
Correct.

Old Today, 08:23 AM

15,877 posts, read 6,577,232 times
They are discovering that handwriting appears to improve mental acuity, but the current generation is all about the use of hand devices.

Why Writing by Hand Is Better for Memory and Learning

Quote:
The findings add to a growing body of evidence that has many experts speaking up about the importance of teaching children to handwrite words and draw pictures.
The pandemic shutdown probably didn't help.

Old Today, 08:49 AM

5,187 posts, read 3,113,514 times
IQ is not a measure of what someone knows, it’s an indicator of their ability to reason and learn. The fact that societies are birthing less children and with less capable brains should be a major concern.

Old Today, 08:53 AM

2,342 posts, read 970,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Yeah, a handful of geniuses is not going to compensate for millions of sub-80 IQ "migrants" pouring into the state.

Technology is the problem? lol Sure, that's it.

Once again, Idiocracy is proven to be a documentary.

The interactive map tells it all.

It's been obvious for decades. Look IQ voters voting in low IQ leaders... Bush, Obama, Trump, Biden.

Old Today, 08:55 AM

8,357 posts, read 2,978,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
There is no way this is due to technology. My guess, migrants or the busted educational system. I have learned more by watching you tube videos than I learned in school.
Agreed. California has the highest number of illegal aliens and legal immigrants and also the highest rate of adults aged 18-25 that don’t have a high school diploma.

Old Today, 08:55 AM

30,487 posts, read 19,246,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Doesn't help that the schools aren't pushing the kids to be the best that they can be. If anything, they seem to punish the smart ones to make the dumb ones feel better about themselves.
But I bet they can answer how many genders there are....infinite. Also the superiority of LGBTQXYZ and black supremacy, etc, you know all the important stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies