Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 03:03 PM

9,398 posts, read 6,523,427 times

Advertisements

Children are no longer being taught how to think, they are being told what to think. Since IQ is based on reasoning skills, it was assured that IQ was going to decline. Bring on the new dark ages, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 06:36 PM

26,745 posts, read 15,301,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I said:

That's a fact. i.e. Broke women have more pregnancy and kids. Hence, for the good of society, let's hand out more abortions as supported by the Freakonomics data. If not, expect more crime.

Then you put words in my mouth and said:

Now, read the entire article that you linked. It reads:

"Low-income women are more than five times as likely than affluent women to experience an
unintended pregnancy,
which has significant implications for social mobility given that unplanned
childbearing is associated with higher rates of poverty, less family stability, and worse outcomes for
children, according to a new Brookings Center on Children and Families"

I'll say it another way: Even without the means to get abortions, a disproportional percent of all USA abortions occur by women below the poverty level. i.e. 1/2 are in poverty.
https://www.guttmacher.org/infograph...n-rates-income Soooooooooo, for the good of society, let's make it much more affordable.
There are some studies that contradict the freakonomics book. Even then, I'm not sure saying having less odds is a good reason to off someone, especially as it's mostly black and brown babies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
He suggested no such thing. But I would suggest immigrants have something to offer to get into the U.S.

Freeloaders need not apply. And we’re getting far too many of them.
Exactly. What's wrong with wanting immigrants to be contributors?

Old 05-04-2024, 06:40 PM

20,187 posts, read 9,700,951 times
Well, teaching does have its effects -- and if the teaching is bad, it will show on IQ scores unless the tests have changed significantly since I took mine in the eighth grade. Back then kids had to have basic reading and math skills to even 'do' the IQ test, and so with the decreased emphasis on reading and arithmetic in favor of putting more emphasis on social issues -- well, let's just say that I am not surprised that IQs have dipped.

Old 05-04-2024, 07:25 PM

4,532 posts, read 1,792,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
1. high birth rates of the poor (who tend to have lower IQs)

2. lack of reading among children and encouragement to do so parents

3. lack of quiet time for introspection and thinking

4. children not engaging in activities which encourage building problem solving skills

5. families promote athletic activities of children over academics

6. technology has made children "lazy" in not researching things of interest

7. importation of illegal immigrants who are illiterate in their own language and over lower IQ

8. "dumbing down" of elementary and high school educations. When I went to high school in the 70s, I was lower income. However, at my high school, Greek and Latin were offered, calculus and differential equations, chemistry and physics, as well as advanced english comp. My high school was harder than my Big Ten college for the first two years until I reached graduate level courses.

ALL of my kids are voracious readers. All were offered several D1 athletic scholarships, but we emphasized academics over athletics. My wife and I read at least one book a week and and always tried to instill curiosity about the world in our kids as well as critical thinking encouraged by problem solving and math.

At work, I was shocked about how little my nurses encouraged their kids to read. In response, I would buy their kids books which the parents could read to them and rewarded participation with financial incentives.

Unfortunately, our nation is becoming a nation of imbeciles. You can see it in the lack of critical thinking and the embracement of liberalism, which promotes tribalism and dependence on emotion and blind loyalty, rather than critical thinking and logic. It is like a plague of stupidity which has infected the nation.

Additionally: Someone above pointed out "fixing things" to encourage problem solving. I agree 100%. When my kids were young, we would make, from scratch, rudimentary telephones, phonographs, crystal radios, cameras, a refrigerator, ect so they could UNDERSTAND how things worked and apply those skills in analyzing other mechanical devices, rather than just accepting that "they worked".
I certainly agree with a lot of what you say here, not everything, but a lot of it!

Old 05-04-2024, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Reading, Writing, Arithmetic.

Cut any of those out of one's (daily) life and replace with hours of entertainment TV/news/games, and I bet IQ suffers.
interestingly, IQ tests don't measure reading, writing, and arithmetic. Those are more along the lines of achievement, not IQ (a few IQ tests measure arithmetic, but not many).

Old 05-04-2024, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Well, teaching does have its effects -- and if the teaching is bad, it will show on IQ scores unless the tests have changed significantly since I took mine in the eighth grade. Back then kids had to have basic reading and math skills to even 'do' the IQ test, and so with the decreased emphasis on reading and arithmetic in favor of putting more emphasis on social issues -- well, let's just say that I am not surprised that IQs have dipped.
i administer IQ tests several times a week. There is no reading involved, There are some math skills involved, but its more along problem solving and pattern recognition, rather than what we would traditionally call "math skills." And this has been true for IQ tests for quite a while. Don't confuse achievement with IQ.

Old 05-04-2024, 07:40 PM

18,571 posts, read 9,261,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Children are no longer being taught how to think, they are being told what to think. Since IQ is based on reasoning skills, it was assured that IQ was going to decline. Bring on the new dark ages, I guess.
Children have always been indoctrinated. Ever heard of religion? Child indoctrination is as old as time.

Old 05-04-2024, 07:49 PM

9,398 posts, read 6,523,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Children have always been indoctrinated. Ever heard of religion? Child indoctrination is as old as time.
Sure, I received my dose of religious indoctrination from one source, HOWEVER I was also taught how to think critically from another source. Nowadays being taught how to think has essentially disappeared being replaced by secular indoctrination. That was my point.

Old 05-04-2024, 08:06 PM

9,506 posts, read 10,893,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
It's been obvious for decades. Look IQ voters voting in low IQ leaders... Bush, Obama, Trump, Biden.
I agree with this (although I don’t lump Bush in) All one needs to do is watch video of 20th century politicians speaking and you will instantly see that they are better spoken, more thoughtful and more educated. This is true regardless of the party they come from. Something has changed in the new century, the quality of our leaders is so much lower. Of course the quality of our citizens is so much lower. Our culture is in steep decline.

It seems like we are not that far from President Kamacha from idiocracy. That movie is prophetic in a terrifying way. It really seems if it’s coming true.

Old 05-04-2024, 08:27 PM

20,187 posts, read 9,700,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
i administer IQ tests several times a week. There is no reading involved, There are some math skills involved, but its more along problem solving and pattern recognition, rather than what we would traditionally call "math skills." And this has been true for IQ tests for quite a while. Don't confuse achievement with IQ.
I was talking about the IQ test I took about 57 years ago, and reading and math was DEFINITELY involved. Maybe IQ tests have changed since then?

Btw, I do know that for some kids, IQ tests are administered orally, however -- but back then, IQ tests were in the form of booklets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies