Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM

7,832 posts, read 4,578,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
All of it is valid even though it may conflict. Human perceptions have never been all around consistent. Personally I'd give more weight to a detailed opinion from a real person than a piece from any corporatized media source.
The best example I'd ask you to explain where an individual account carries more weight than a media report. What of the NYC Central Park birdwatcher? The black man who was doing nothing more than enjoying his hobby until he encountered a woman who promptly called the police stating she was be harassed by him after he informed her that the dog she was walking was running loose in a park sanctioned leash only area.

It turned out, after the media reported and police investigated the incident that she was nothing more than your garden-variety racist and was later fired from her job on Wall Street. With all the facets surrounding a case like this and others just like it, it appears your basic stance remains victims (in the loosest sense of the word) 'feelies' are/should be the prime arbitrator of if a crime or a sense of the fear of crime has occurred and media accounts have the least credibility if not outright fabrication of the nature of incident reporting.

To be honest, that sounds to me like simply blaming the messenger, but please correct me given the example I just provided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM

11,868 posts, read 5,843,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Part of the reason they, and disaffected Republicans, vote for Democrats is the alternatives they face on the ballot. When people like Trump, JD Vance, MTG, Lee, Mastriano, etc. are on the ballot, they are not going to appeal to center-left (and even center-right) voters. People don’t just vote for who they prefer; they are also making an evaluation of who they don’t want to be elected. I’m no fan of Biden, but I’ll vote for him since my option is Trump. Had Haley or Christie been the Republican nominee, I would have supported them.
Why would you vote for someone who wants to get us into war - sorry but when I was a Dem we were the ones protesting against sending our children overseas to fight someone else's war. We were the Doves - the Republicans were the Hawks - now it's the other way around.

Old Today, 05:08 AM

57,402 posts, read 26,310,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
"In 2021, the FBI changed how it collects data from police departments, and as a result, that year’s crime data missed nearly 40% of police agencies."

"the change led to the most incomplete picture of national crime since the FBI began collecting data in the 1930s,"

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2...s-ucr-fbi-2022
The FBI changed the reporting system in 2021, that publication doesn't indicate where 40% of data was missing but there were gaps due to the change. Still overall violent crime on the national level is trending down other than the increase during the pandemic. The 90's were much worse.

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-wo...ime-statistics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies