Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 10:26 PM

7,997 posts, read 4,247,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
The Central Valley is not nowhere.
I never said it is. But Phase One is nowhere to nowhere as far as commuters are concerned and it won't be completed for 10 years at the earliest.

Quote:
All these fruit trees can disappear in a moment and give way for new developments.

If you can work remotely, why wouldn't you stay in the Central Valley instead of San Francisco, especially, if transportation options would be excellent?
For one thing, the segments from the valley to the peninsula are unlikely to be high-speed. Maybe faster than BART, but the terrain is not conducive to high-speed rail.

If you need to commute into San Francisco from Fresno, it would be better to just fly. I suspect high-speed rail tickets will not be cheap and flying takes about an hour.

Anyway, you got me all wrong. I'm seriously looking at retiring in Rocklin or Roseville. I don't hate the valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2024, 10:28 PM

32,327 posts, read 15,277,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I guess we could sell off land to say, Canada.? Besides Russia or China no other Nations are this big.

I just quit... good night.
What are you even talking about. What does selling land have to do with this?

Old 05-05-2024, 10:35 PM

2,567 posts, read 1,358,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So we pay billions so you can work remotely? Is that the theme here? You know your work is gonna make you choose and even then once in a while. May as well buy a piper cub for those occasional trips to work.
This thing is called connectivity. When you build a road (a rail road too), it will be used by people for centuries.

Old 05-05-2024, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
If you need to commute into San Francisco from Fresno, it would be better to just fly. I suspect high-speed rail tickets will not be cheap and flying takes about an hour.
California can easily add a pollution surcharge to plane tickets.
$200 one way, for example.

It won't affect international flights much, but LA -> SF can be more expensive.

Old 05-05-2024, 10:58 PM

Quote:
California can easily add a pollution surcharge to plane tickets.
$200 one way, for example.

It won't affect international flights much, but LA -> SF can be more expensive.
So, you're saying the state will penalize air travel to the point people have no choice but to take high-speed rail? I don't see that happening. I don't see the ban on ice vehicles happening either. Newsom will be gone and when the public gets a real taste of ice they will revolt one way or another (even if revolting means leaving and taking their taxes with them.)

Old 05-05-2024, 11:09 PM

2,423 posts, read 4,500,458 times
Sadly, this has nothing to do with the high-speed rail.

Hidden somewhere in the California govt. homepage is a list of contracts signed regarding this project--I found it once, took forever.

An amazing number of the contracts weren't for building the rail, or for supplies, but for "consultants." How many hundreds of consultants does it take? There were rumors for awhile that Mr. Pelosi got one of the contracts, but if it was under some business name, it would have been impossible to find.

At the end of the day, all the billions are gone, the elite are richer, and we'll probably just keep footing the bill.

Old 05-05-2024, 11:10 PM

3,167 posts, read 1,819,261 times
Quote:
So, you're saying the state will penalize air travel to the point people have no choice but to take high-speed rail? I don't see that happening.
You’re right Newsom will be gone, but if he weren’t, I could see penalizing air travel in favor of high-speed rail right up his alley.

Old 05-05-2024, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
You’re right Newsom will be gone, but if he weren’t, I could see penalizing air travel in favor of high-speed rail right up his alley.
Newsom may want to penalize air travelers, but it would be political suicide to do it.

Old 05-06-2024, 01:39 AM

50,699 posts, read 47,553,788 times
Quote:
This thing is called connectivity. When you build a road (a rail road too), it will be used by people for centuries.
For a few paid for by all for a very, very long time. A great condition used by Egyptian kings. You can all worship the pyramids they built still today.

Old 05-06-2024, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Newsom may want to penalize air travelers, but it would be political suicide to do it.
If electric blimps appear, people in big California cities will definitely approve banning of noisy and dirty jet airplanes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By1Fj1Q_cy0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies